Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Farewell

robmac

Hmm, so I'm a little confused, maybe robmac exaggerated living. Your forum, your rules, that's clear. But if "explain hacking anything" is illegal in Poland - that's another matter; it reminds me rather American regulations against encryption and code breaking. I think your layers are trying to be extra safe, doing more damage instead.

If talking about flaws and insecurities of system should be forbidden, we would be still happy using WEP in WiFi. Now every kid can find script to break WEP in minutes, and no one goes to jail for talking about it. And that's the way progress is done; we all are using much more secure encryption now.

I'm no brainiac, but I also heard some not quite good news about z-wave security. The 'word' is out there and cannot be denied or forgotten, that's internet. You Fibaro guys must somehow deal with that situation, possibly not swiping posts under carpet.

• Topic Author
  • nieskromny, he is NOT banned

I posted a link to a legitimate security report. It is not a how to hack guide.

The link is on google.pl and no doubt many other sites.

The way you write this implies I posted some guide to hacking. This is something I would never do.

Please remove this and any other implied or otherwise allegation that I posted a guide to hacking or reinstate my post so it is clear I do not promote hacking.

As Nies says; if nobody would be allowed to talk about security, then us customers would still put all our trust in WEP-encryption for wifi. It's good that people realize that using a Z-wave lock (or any other form of wireless enabled lock, for that matter) is simply stupid.

But apart from that, if I don't install a wireless enabled lock, what will burglars be able to do once they get access? Control my boiler relay? Jam my sensors? Jammers aren't expensive nowadays, but I don't expect Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron to pay my house a visit. Just install some sort of jamming detection in the alarm panel of HC2 and it will be very hard for the jamming to go unnoticed if you ask me.

The worse thing they can do is probably that they will know when I am home and when I'm not. And if they want to do that through Z-wave, then they have to install a controller of some sort within visual range of my house. It's possible, but hacking my network and getting access to the HC2 might be safer for them. But in the end, if they're really interested in my particular house, then they will probably monitor our behavior for a couple of days or weeks to spot the pattern.

Criminals are always looking for intuitive ways to find their way in. If there is something important for us to know, then it's good to hear that. Not all details are to be disclosed, and in the presentation they weren't, but the concept should be clear so that people can make up their mind on what they find an acceptable risk and what not...

So for me it's clear: nobody is really guilty, everyone has something to support his opinion. Robmac, with all due respect - sit down your ass and don't go anywhere; Fibaro - reconsider your (stupid) way of hiding (already publicly available) knowledge.

Peace, guys, its almost Christmas

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

• Topic Author
  • Andrew,

Thanks.

I would have preferred the other route as I can not abide censorship but one evil has caused another evil.

In Jure Non Remota Causa Sed Proxima Spectatur

robmac,

I agree about censor. But it is christmass so peace and stay here

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

robmac,

I agree about censor. But it is christmass so peace and stay here

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

It's a pity! For fibaro, for us and for you

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> Please Robert, stay here... And with the new V4.x you will have something to say

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Merry Christmas to all!

• 4 years later...