Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Danfoss LC13

Ronald Arissen

Question

I have 10 danfoss LC13 that I can't get to work properly.

I have 3 sections Living, Bedrooms and Bathroom.

To each section or zone I have add a few rooms with a LC13, and did make a zone into the heating panel.

When I say Living must be 21 degrees, than the 3 LC13 must go open en heat up the room until 21 degrees I guess.

But it looks like, that one doing fine, one stay's off and one go's totally open en is trying to heat the compleet room.

Also some times one of the 10 LC13 is opend spontaneously. And that's not for 5 min, but for hours.

When I then look into the Fibaro system at my hardware I see that that LC13 is not opend but on the temperture institution that It must be according the schedule.

Connection is okay, not out of reach and no error messages.

Is the HC2 V4.035 fully supporting the LC13 ? 

Because I have no template to addept or see the parameters.

Hope that one of you guys have some experience with the LC13 and can help me.

15 answers to this question

I've got  2xLC13 connected for 14 days now. It looks fine to me (better than LC12) but it's too early to say.

Just to double check: no blinking antenna and bell symbol?

You don't use rechargeable batteries?

Template... Not sure if it's needed. I've *never* found complete technical documentation for LC12 or LC13. Could be me of course. And all I understand is that thermostats (any thermostat) is a class of it's own in Z-Wave. Not sure if "parameters"/"templates" applies to thermostats... LC12 never had any.

• Inquirer
  • @ petergebruers No rechargeble batteries and no errors such as blinking antenna and bell symbol.

There was one LC13 defective, that one was giving a E2 alarm. That means that the front temperature sensor is not working.

So that one I have changed by my supplier.

At first I also thought that the LC13 was working fine. And I did actually. But now strange things happen.

Maybe It could be the new verion 4.035 ??

At first I also thought that the LC13 was working fine. And I did actually. But now strange things happen.

Maybe It could be the new verion 4.035 ??

I'll keep an eye on it and post here if I know more.

i have 8 of them.

7 worked fine, no connection issues or bells .

1 seemed not to follow the heating panel temperatures.

i had to put it into another zone, save it in the new zone.

Then put it back in the intended zone and then it did follow the heating panel again.

and also dont trust the temperature sensors on the danfoss lc13 too much.

21 celsius  is not 21c in all rooms.

All has todo with placement of the lc13 in the specific room

• Inquirer
  • Okay that can be the problem for me to.

How did you notice that it wasn't follow your heating panel ?

Because if I look on the LC13 then he shows me the temperature from the heating panel.

As example 15 degrees. But in real (when I feel with me hands) it has a temperature from over the 25 degrees.

And what ever I do It looks that it lives it's own life on that moment. And still there is communication at that moment.

About the sensors from the LC13, so I can't trust that when I got 3 LC13 in the same room that they get closed at the same temperature ??

At first i didnt notice caus i had some lc13 having the same temp all the time, i changed the schedule in 1 zone to change temp 5x day, then i see that 1 lc13 didnt follow.

if its at 15 degrees and it feels hot check that the danfos is properly resetted (factory reset), make sure the danfos adapter is pushed all the way to the radiator (snug fit) till you cant push it closer.

In the first week after factory reset, the lc13 tries to see how far it needs to open to get enough warm water through. if this is not correct i guess you might get situations like yours where at 15 celsius its fully open.

about your last question: if there's a curtain covering  the lc13 or behind a chair or if its close to a window, you will see the temp is not correct, this is pure situational. and has todo with your environment.

your 3 danfos like open close at different moments, eg if your lc13 (and set to 21 )is behind a couch it will be warm behind the couch sooner then when the lc13 is in open space.

thats what i mean by different opening times. 

Maybe this is important too. At first, I controlled water temperature to the radiators with a room thermostat. I was told that two devices trying to control temperature will fight eachother. So I should have disabled the room thermostat and instead rely on an outdoor sensor only. I forgot to do that and was indeed unhappy with the performance of these valve thermostats. After a few weeks I switched off the room thermostat. Much better. It took me a little try and error to configure slope and offset of the controller on the boiler but this winter everything was ok, no tuning needed.

One more thing. I can't check it right now... But doesn't the installer leaflet talk about a setting for oversized or undersized radiators? I think, a bit subjective, that it helped in one room. It was on the cold side, now it feels better.

• Inquirer
  • I don't have any other thermostat in me home. Each radiator is just switched on/off by his one thermostat from the LC13.

And yes there is a possibility for oversized or undersized radiators. Then you have to changethe standaard P2 setting to P1 or P3.

Guys how can we use another sensor temperature for the thermostat?

I mean the one included in the thermostat is prone for false results since it’s located right next to the heating radiator.

Edited by abpostelnicu

Only two TRVs on the market support an external sensor. Fibaro FGT-001 uses its own dedicated sensor (15 EUR bought separately, 10 in a bundle). I own two of them and the sensor works very well (the FGT however needs a firmware update, it is buggy at v 4.0). Eurotronics Spirit can accept a Z-Wave sensor, but (a) I have not tried that (b) there are some prerequisites to make that work. Older TRVs like Danfoss, Popp, Stella-Z do not accept *any* external sensor.

Does this answer your question?

3 hours ago, abpostelnicu said:

Guys hvordan kan vi bruge en anden sensor temperatur til termostaten?

Jeg mener, at den medfølger i termostaten er tilbøjelig til falske resultater, da den er placeret lige ved siden af radiatoren.

Hi
    Half a solution/attempt could be to place a window/door sensor with temperature sensor (a suitable location) and control the set point with scenes.
    This temperature sensor is very accurate.
    Note a half solution/attempt.:)

Edited by hTiger1

Is there a way to control how open the valve is? I know that you can set it’s max temp to 28 but the room temperature is more like high 27, it would be nice to have a max value.

26 minutes ago, abpostelnicu said:

Is there a way to control how open the valve is?

No, according to the manual, only Eurotronics spirit supports setting the opening to a certain %. No other TRV does that.

Edited by petergebruers

6 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

No, according to the manual, only Eurotronics spirit supports setting the opening to a certain %. No other TRV does that.

Regarding eurotrinics, correct me if im wrong  but does It support the usage of an external temperature sensor?  

1 hour ago, hTiger1 said:

This temperature sensor is very accurate.
    Note a half solution/attempt.:)

I think you could use a temp sensor to get an idea of how much you have to add to or subtract from the TRVs setpoint, but to be honest I do not have code for that. I think you need some kind of PI controller to do that. I do not have the means to try this right now...

Fibaro D/W 1 plus DS18B20 is accurate. D/W 2 with built-in sensor is accurate, but noisy.

5 minutes ago, abpostelnicu said:

Regarding eurotrinics, correct me if im wrong  but does It support the usage of an external temperature sensor?

Yes, it is mentioned in the manual.

The manual is here:

Please login or register to see this link.