Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 and light goes off after less than 1 asecond

Alex

Question

I have one problem:
I tried to install the new dimmer 2.

Everything worked fine so far (inclusion, automatic detection).

I have two momentary switches. If I use one of them controlling light works fine.

I am having two light in a row (two lamps at different positions).

The dimmer 2 module is connected to L, N. The output of switch 1 is connected to S1 (the other switch is connected to the first switch via

Light 1 is connected to O, than to the second light and back to neutral.

(So phase is connected to L of the module and input to the switches, neutral lead to N and end of second light, output of switch is connected to S1 and this "O" from the module is connected to the first light)

Now the problem:

If I switch on the lights via app or web page it goes on to the dimming value I want.  but only for very short time (less than a second).

So it switches off directly.

If I repeat this it happens again. But after the third or fourth time the light stays on.

After switching it off again and waiting for a minute (I have not measured this) I can reproduce this behaviour.

What have I done wrong?

Any more details needed?

I was able to record this disco effect however this time it was shot one. Just 2 blinks. See it around 14sec in this video 

Please login or register to see this link.

. I contacted fibaro support, lets see what info will they provide.

I was able to record this disco effect however this time it was shot one. Just 2 blinks. See it around 14sec in this video 

. I contacted fibaro support, lets see what info will they provide.

Yes, that's what I know as the "disco effect". I've seen it at my place, but only with a halogen bulb. With LED, it almost never happens and not as intense. Your film looks more like the effect user sjauquet has, with his Philips Master GU10 LED. Do you see any "clustering" in time of the events? Here it happens mostly (with halogen, not with LED) between 22:30 end 23:30 broadly speaking. I suspect something happens on the power grid (attach or detach load or supply). I have confirmed this idea with an oscilloscope. I live in a residential area and power looks very clean. If I remember well, sjauquet sees no such clustering of events. Actually, when I still used a traditional light bulb, the problem was almost reduced to zero by forcing the dimmer to use "trailing edge" (p30 = 1), the default for LED. That's one thing you can try...

I don't know what you mean by clustering, but light on this dimmer is changing intensity slightly prior and after this disco effect sometimes. It can be seen on dimmed intensity better. I live in residential area as well, but you never know what can have impact on network... I will do some more observation and I will test some of the led light as well later. Now all auto calibration is turned off and its set on trailing edge. We will see if there is any change...

I have the same problem with the dimmer 2. I just wanted to change from 1 to the new dimmer but I am not able to switch on the light on any app or at the HC2 interface. 

Getting back onto the original topic, I've had conversations with Fibaro support, and the only suggestion was to RMA the affected device(s).

Has anyone else had any different information from Fibaro support?

Apparently the only changes in the 3.3 firmware vs 3.2 are: "The communication with controllers has been improved. Not many changes besides that."

Given the seemingly widespread nature of this rapid turning off issue, I can't see much point in RMAing the devices, in order to receive an identical device?

Getting back onto the original topic, I've had conversations with Fibaro support, and the only suggestion was to RMA the affected device(s).

Has anyone else had any different information from Fibaro support?

Apparently the only changes in the 3.3 firmware vs 3.2 are: "The communication with controllers has been improved. Not many changes besides that."

Given the seemingly widespread nature of this rapid turning off issue, I can't see much point in RMAing the devices, in order to receive an identical device?

I have tested the 3.3 and it solves the 'switches off after 1 second' issue. This issue only happens with certain lengths and configurations of wiring and two or more switches. If that's your issue, I'd accept a replacement of your 3.2 dimmers with 3.3.

• Inquirer
  • I have tested the 3.3 and it solves the 'switches off after 1 second' issue. This issue only happens with certain lengths and configurations of wiring and two or more switches. If that's your issue, I'd accept a replacement of your 3.2 dimmers with 3.3.

So I should as Fibaro if they can send me two dimmers of the new version and I will send my old version to them? I have 5 times dimmer 2 and three of them have the problem, one of them I could already replace.

Or will be a firmware update of the dimmer 2 available, installable and helpful in this case?

How do you update the firmware of the modules from 3.2 to 3.3?

It clearly states in the marketing material (all of page 15) that this is possible. 

Hi Guys, 

I have some problems with the Dimmer 2 v3.3 module aswell, and i hope you can help me. If been reading this post but i havent seen the complete solution yet.

My problem is that i can't turn the lights completely on at 100%. And if i put it on 100% it turns automaticly off

In the log screen i see the device give some error note. 

[14:48:48] ID 1489: Voltage Drop/Drift. Reduce the maximum brightness level.

But how is this possible? since im using 2 Philips ecoclassic 28watts 230volts.

btw im using the 2 wire connection with a double switch installed

If i look at the energy meter in the HC2 webpage the turning point is around 50watts, if it goes higher it turns off.

Greetz martijn

I bet you have a 2-wire setup. In this setup, 100 % for th "max" parameter is impossible. If you set param 13 to 1 then dimmer should calibrate itself. After that, it should be possible to put the slider at the maximum. If you still have trouble, please post the relevant parameters. A list of those parameters is in this topic.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have a 2 wire setup indeed. I've set the 13 to 1 and after completion it goes back to 0, but when i test it goes off once reaching 100% and gives the same error load.

1 = 7

2 = 70

5 = 1

6 = 1

7 = 1

8 =  (0.05 sec)

14 = 1

30 = 2

31 = 1

32 = 2

33 = 0

34 = 1

Is there a way to easy read to parameter settings?

Try parameter 2 = 65 or 60. Or a lamp with higher W (and recalibrate). Or, if possible 3-wire setup.

64 seems to work! Thanks peter!

3-wire setup isnt a option, im gonna move soon and testing things for the new house. There im gonna make 3-wire fore sure!

Hi at all,

I have exactly the same behavier like Alex. I use 3 parallel 9W LED Bulbs, 2 new momentary switches from Busch Jäger and the Dimmer 2.

I also use 3-wire connections. I tried the use of a bypass 2 but the was the same behavier like without bypass 2.

I will try to change parameter 23 and post the result.

• Inquirer
  • In the meanwhile I replaced three of my dimmer 2 with a newer version (v3.3) and it worked perfectly for me.

So this should help you too.

I agree with Alex. Please contact Fibaro support and refer to this topic, so they can confirm your issue and the solution.

• Inquirer
  • I have to revert my last post a little bit.

Version 3.3 helps, but I had this problem still at least once.

With version 3.2 I could reproduce it every second time. No I had it once in 7 days (same amount of click on switches).