Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

READ THIS BEFORE YOU UPGRADE!!!

clausdk

As for all users, we all have different setups - Z-wave hardware, scenes and etc. When it comes to updating our system, some people jump straight into new updates without making a backup or at least waiting a few weeks to see if other people report problems that might affect your system.

For those who comes from 4.100, here is some advice for you. 

1) Wait at least 2-3 weeks before upgrading to ANY new version. Check to see if other users reports problems that might affect your system.

2) When you upgrade to 4.110, make sure to make a backup FIRST.

3) I do NOT recommend using the new account system, so make sure to NOT use the wizard guide when the Fibaro starts up the first time. This will make it impossible to use "admin" as your login and the risk of being locked out of the system is pretty high at the moment. You can simply close the wizard in the corner.

4) I've noticed that coming from 4.100 to newer versions, might corrupt your scene code if you have used Magic scene or Graphic blocks. To check if the scene works, you can simply try and excute the code. Do this by clicking on "Switch scene edit mode to LUA based" and press "Start" under the lua code you see. If you see any errors in the console under the start button, it might indicate your code might be corrupt. You can fix this by simply recreating the scene. This should fix it.

Remarks for this update 4.110:

*) It seems some users experience weird errors that devices have "false" under them

Please login or register to see this image.

*) One other thing I've experienced is that, some scenes still doesn't trigger anymore after this update.

*) Aeon Labs Motion sensors no longer works with this release. Temperature and humidity is working fine tho.

As you can see it registers the motion in the event panel, but does not trigger the scene.

238d757851.png  26588bd1d2.png

Edited by clausdk

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, fi-bar-oh said:

If we all wait 2-3 weeks then we are no further forward ;-)

Well, this is meant as a general advice. There will always be people upgrading and giving their feedback. Not really worried in that department :-) .. Just seen so many asking ... is it safe to upgrade? and people complaining about the new firmware is the worst they have ever seen... you get the drill.

21 minutes ago, clausdk said:

As for all users, we all have different setups - Z-wave hardware, scenes and etc. When it comes to updating our system, some people jump straight into new updates without making a backup or at least waiting a few weeks to see if other people report problems that might affect your system.

For those who comes from 4.100, here is some advice for you. 

1) Wait at least 2-3 weeks before upgrading to ANY new version. Check to see if other users reports problems that might affect your system.

2) When you upgrade to 4.110, make sure to make a backup FIRST.

3) I do NOT recommend using the new account system, so make sure to NOT use the wizard guide when the Fibaro starts up the first time. This will make it impossible to use "admin" as your login. You can simply close the wizard in the corner to close it.

4) I've noticed that coming from 4.100 to newer versions, might corrupt your scene code if you have used Magic scene or Graphic blocks. To check if the scene works, you can simply try and excute the code. Do this by clicking on "Switch scene edit mode to LUA based" and press "Start" under the lua code you see. If you see any errors in the console under the start button, it might indicate your code might be corrupt.

Remarks for this update:

It seems some users experience weird errors like this 

Please login or register to see this image.

Some devices have "false" under them

Other one I've experienced is that, some scenes still doesn't trigger anymore after this update. Ex. motion sensors.

Heya, thanks for this post i am allways on lookout for anny problems regarding recent patches.

1) Well i'd use that more for rokies and such but i see your point.

2) This should be done regardless of patch really.

3) Well yeah, but reset of the unit should clean it up regardless no?

4) Dose that appear in the scene itselve or just dose something to mess it up, out of sight (i realise that tehre is plenty code involved with any scene but if i can see it than its slightly better than not seeing it)?

I think that picture is just fibaro trying to sneak message to its users about hopes and dreams of GSM, Powerpack modules, rise of user-made plugins, and other amazing projects that were never completed. Hey as long as it is not impairing functionality of the device i am not going to object about it that much.

right so First patch of new year and it seems to lean more towards bad in your opinion?

Thanks!

Can someone tell me about the disadvantage of removing the admin account?

I did the wizard and still my external php scripts are fully functional.

Fibaro is the only sw company which distribute beta version to everybody instead of to a selected number of advanced users.

It's the only company which mix in new versions new devices support with new functionalities, so that users are incentivated to upgrade to betas just with the hope to have their devices working, even if new betas also bring unstable new functions. 

Have you ever seen Apple distribute betas to everybody? Or insert in the same new version both device database updates and new functions?

Unless fibaro fires its head of sw development which allows such bad sw developing process, it will continue to remain an high potential company with terrible customer satisfaction....

updating from V4.104 beta > to V4.110. This update went so fast and smooth I had never experience ever before. :-) within 10min done. 

Great stuff :-) 

2 hours ago, viga81 said:

Fibaro is the only sw company which distribute beta version to everybody instead of to a selected number of advanced users.

It's the only company which mix in new versions new devices support with new functionalities, so that users are incentivated to upgrade to betas just with the hope to have their devices working, even if new betas also bring unstable new functions. 

Have you ever seen Apple distribute betas to everybody? Or insert in the same new version both device database updates and new functions?

Unless fibaro fires its head of sw development which allows such bad sw developing process, it will continue to remain an high potential company with terrible customer satisfaction....

+1 well said

9 hours ago, viga81 said:

i would argue that those users are fairly comprehensivly warned not to install beta unless they know what they are doing, but i would suport some sort of limited release alpha verssions (pretty sure Fibaro is barely testing these bettas).

As for added funcionality - that is exactly what i think Fibaro is testing, if you leap on every beta they release with no backup plan than you are at very least partly responssible for not having unit to fall back on / backup*.

*yeah, yeah i know the backup system is a joke at the moment.

I would suggest to have diffrent firmware for each unit, but seeing as there are 2 and maybe we will see 3rd HC unit this year that might be much more workload than they can handle, add into the mix 3 possibly 5 applications ( Android, Android padd, iOS, iOS padd, HomeKit ) and it must be nightmare working for Fibaro's software team. Even than i would rather they hire more people (dedicated groups of people for each of these software projects, fire whomever decided that marketing is going to call the developement shots and let somone in the know of their software do the developement).

I have strange feeling that Fibaro is ran by their marketing division (Swipe, GSM, Power Pack, Hotel Mode, Lili - all such "wonderfull" ideas and all went wrong at one point or another).

1 hour ago, Kuba13 said:

i would argue that those users are fairly comprehensivly warned not to install beta unless they know what they are doing, but i would suport some sort of limited release alpha verssions (pretty sure Fibaro is barely testing these bettas).

As for added funcionality - that is exactly what i think Fibaro is testing, if you leap on every beta they release with no backup plan than you are at very least partly responssible for not having unit to fall back on / backup*.

I would suggest to have diffrent firmware for each unit, but seeing as there are 2 and maybe we will see 3rd HC unit this year that might be much more workload than they can handle, add into the mix 3 possibly 5 applications ( Android, Android padd, iOS, iOS padd, HomeKit ) and it must be nightmare working for Fibaro's software team. Even than i would rather they hire more people (dedicated groups of people for each of these software projects, fire whomever decided that marketing is going to call the developement shots and let somone in the know of their software do the developement).

I have strange feeling that Fibaro is ran by their marketing division (Swipe, GSM, Power Pack, Hotel Mode, Lili - all such "wonderfull" ideas and all went wrong at one 

The fact that customers are informed is only a legal safety - a well organized development dpt cannot leave to the customer the decision to install or not betas, especially if it cares about customer satisfacion.

They have nothing to invent new, just to follow best practice.

34 minutes ago, viga81 said:

The fact that customers are informed is only a legal safety - a well organized development dpt cannot leave to the customer the decision to install or not betas, especially if it cares about customer satisfacion.

They have nothing to invent new, just to follow best practice.

Hmm sure they can - best practicess is advice (good one sure but just advice).

While i am generaly oposed to reading a fine print stretching around the block, here i can see that tehre is some limited effort to warn users that they should not be updating unless they know what they are doing. Broad beta testing is fine as long as there is sufficient preceeding testing that will eliminate majority of breaking bugs. I am in favour of public Betas as long as there is some sort of preceeding testing and decent enough warning.

Yes the backup would be nice to have but we dont, so please do try and act accordingly - betas are clearly risky to install (just read the forums a bit, read the disclaimer). I simply can not see sense in patching annything that you have one unit of into what is extended testing firmware. Somwhere around these forums is good motto:

"Unless you know what are you doing, do not patch for at least 2 weeks since release of anny given version."

i would just add that exeption is when you have viable backup plan that you can execute regardless of the state unit that was patched happens to be in.

17 hours ago, viga81 said:

Have you ever seen Apple distribute betas to everybody? 

Yes Apple make Public Betas you are Not up to Date :-)

1 hour ago, hoschi_66 said:

That is not true. I was never offered to install betas. Betas are available only to developers. But of course you were joking :D:P 

2 hours ago, hoschi_66 said:

Apple distributes betas only to users registered to a specific beta program and to developers. Exactly what fibaro should do before distributing to the public!

Well Fibaro thinks that there total user base are beta testers, to speed up the bug tracking, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, as long they keep on going solving the bugs, hmm what did i forgot ..... :-/

I've been through an ordeal yesterday after trying to upgrade  to 4.11 - I did end up with endless "Starting Services" screens and multiple recovery/restore sessions until eventually Fibaro support did a remote re-install of 4.1 and restore of my recent backup. I've been told by support that my scenes (whichever) prevent the system from proper startup - quite helpful, whatever that means. I did ask for specifics, e.g. which scenes to delete or deactivate, but received feedback to better stay on 4.100

The whole procedure did cost me one of my vacation days (apart from my wife being furious and questioning my sanity for installing a "smart home system" in the first place)

This is a strange policy of Fibaro and I'm not blaming the support guys who helped me out of my doldrums - they did a great job! But again, Fibaro, you've got to be more open with your whole system setup. Pls grant users asking for it root access - some of us can help themselves when it comes to system problems! 

Cheers

Alfons

On 6/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, Kuba13 said:

I have strange feeling that Fibaro is ran by their marketing division (Swipe, GSM, Power Pack, Hotel Mode, Lili - all such "wonderfull" ideas and all went wrong at one point or another).

I quite agree with you but they have to understand that till the system will be managed this way, and I'll feel quite unconfortable with every update, I will not invest heavily on their products... in this way they loose a lot of market share.

On 05/01/2017 at 4:04 PM, clausdk said:

3) I do NOT recommend using the new account system, so make sure to NOT use the wizard guide when the Fibaro starts up the first time. This will make it impossible to use "admin" as your login. You can simply close the wizard in the corner to close it.

Just to have a better understanding, why do we not have to use the new account system and the wizard guide, and change our login to a new one?

Thanks.