Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro ID

fhegedus

I have received an Email regarding Fibaro ID. Probably you have received it also.

It contained a small YouTube clip explaining the concept.

I must say that the idea is nice, but when it came to put it in practice, they say that you MUST install V4.110 update. Furthermore they say that the current login can be used only until March.

After 4th of March only Fibaro ID will be valid.

As we all know that V4.110 is not quite a success, many forumists complaining that it is less than a beta full of bugs, what should we do? Isn’t Fibaro forcing to update to a yet unreliable version of software?

And why should the ID be the Email address, and not any ID of my choice?

4 hours ago, fhegedus said:

I have received an Email regarding Fibaro ID. Probably you have received it also.

It contained a small YouTube clip explaining the concept.

I must say that the idea is nice, but when it came to put it in practice, they say that you MUST install V4.110 update. Furthermore they say that the current login can be used only until March.

After 4th of March only Fibaro ID will be valid.

As we all know that V4.110 is not quite a success, many forumists complaining that it is less than a beta full of bugs, what should we do? Isn’t Fibaro forcing to update to a yet unreliable version of software?

And why should the ID be the Email address, and not any ID of my choice?

Hi @fhegedus,

Forums are never best sources to make conclusion if something is ok or not. Actually forums are places where you will mostly read about problems because thats why forums exists, so that members can help each other with problems. It is very seldom that someone write here how good is something and how pleased he is :) 

So, update v4.110 is not big disaster at all, as it may seem when you read forum. Of course that there are some bugs like in every release before this one but on my HC2 it is running just fine. Nothing is lost, nothing is deleted and everything is working fine just like on previous version 4.100. So go to this link and check what you can do so that  your upgrade to 4.110 is painless:

• Topic Author
  •  

1 hour ago, Sankotronic said:

Forums are never best sources to make conclusion if something is ok or not. Actually forums are places where you will mostly read about problems because thats why forums exists, so that members can help each other with problems. It is very seldom that someone write here how good is something and how pleased he is :) 

You are missing the point!

I did not open a discussion about how good (or bad) are the information on forums.

My problem was forcing the customers and giving a deadline into adopting an update which by far has the most complaints on the forum.

Many members were afraid to update (that is including you until yesterday)

Quote:

I was following this thread from beginning of introducing 4.110 and was terrified with problems that users faced after upgrade. But of course, on forums only problems are posted and very rarely positive outcomes. I want to break this rule!!!! Today I upgraded our Angelina and she is now happily running on new firmware 4.110! Of course there are always some new bugs introduced, but in overall this seems to be one stable and interesting release! "

I wonder what would have been your comment if you have been ended up with a bricked unit.

And yes, forums are to share experience - good or bad - give advice and comment. At least that is why I read id.

Please login or register to see this link.

I general I tend to agree to a large extent, but as I have pointed out: As smart house systems grow in our houses we are getting more and more dependent on them. How good or bad a sw release is risk wise is a product of probability of "issues" and the consequence of the "issues".

As to timing of Fibaro ID I believe some of us would have liked to have been given more time. (I have HC2 in more than one location, and I will not be at one of them until May. And as we all know remote upgrades capability is no more available).

Edited by 1152

30 minutes ago, 1152 said:

I will not be at one of them until May. And as we all know remote upgrades capability is no more available.

remotely you can update firmware via simple LUA scene, e.g. (where the IP is local HC2 IP and of course user:pwd need to be base64 encoded). 

Note: startUpgrade.php has been removed in 4.110, so this scene will not work in the future.

In your case, from 4.100 to 4.110 is not a real risk.

Please login or register to see this code.

I'm only concerned about the new app, let's hope it will be still able to connect locally and/or via direct IP and backward compatible with older firmware

As far as I remember startUpgrade.php stops working on 4.100 or mabby a little bite before, don't remember exactly, but already around it, after some issues i add, i've tried it, and no way. 

Besides the discussions about locations or discussions on this forum, the main issue is: Who makes the decision about your own, private login? 

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, TRicky said:

Besides the discussions about locations or discussions on this forum, the main issue is: Who makes the decision about your own, private login? 

That is exactly my point!!!

6 hours ago, 1152 said:
    2 hours ago, Tony270570 said:

As far as I remember startUpgrade.php stops working on 4.100 or mabby a little bite before, don't remember exactly, but already around it, after some issues i add, i've tried it, and no way. 

I will not be at one of them until May. And as we all know remote upgrades capability is no more available.

definitely didn't stopped to work, it was working on non-public 4.110 and 4.106 as well, first since public 4.110 has been removed

I'm still wondering, that this topic does not produce more replys ...

Theoretically I do understand Fibaro's decision to make things more straight forward.

But on the other hand I don't like to being forced by Fibaro to activate the Fibaro ID *AND* to upgrade my HC2.

My HC2 ist still working perfectly under FW4.056 and I definitely will not upgrade for the moment!

Maybee I'll do it in summer or autum if I have got enough time, maybee this is also a good reason to remove the HC2...

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Yes, but you don't have to upgrade, if you are that much against it.

just set up a vpn server inside your network, and then connect "locally" through that.

@FredrikKarlsson

You are right, I still have a RaspBerry Pi working as a VPN Server.

But I think a lot of people do not have this option.

And If I have a RasPi working, why not implement Z-Wave on it?

(In the past there was no reason for me to do this, because Fibaro did a good job with the HC2, but now ... )

For me it is also a matter of principles - and am I willing to follow the path fibaro has chosen for the future ?

What what what???

Will I be forced by Fibaro to install their decided firmware?

I do not want to remove 4.090 at all!

Are they now completely crazy after having created so many problems in customer's houses they want to create even more?

I do not want any ID or whatever else, they must keep the current login as always used, then in parallel they could play and enjoy with what they want to program since it seems they have so much available time instead of fixing all wrong firmware created.

VPN server? Are we kiiding? We are talking about houses and not IT rooms.

There are tons of requests for bug fixing and what do they do? Create an ID? Who cares? Has someone requested it?

If that will be the case, it will also be the case to start investigating if everything done will be all legal. That has never been seen in no other cases in the world.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    11 minutes ago, Flowy said:

VPN server? Are we kiiding? We are talking about houses and not IT rooms.

Ok I admit this is not a solution for everyone. An IT room is a bit exaggerated though. A Raspberry pi will do nicely, or perhaps your router already has the functionality built in, or may be installed 

Or, you can just upgrade to 4.110 i guess. It's working fine for me on my HC2, but there seems to be a couple of people out there with issues. I have not upgraded my HCL yet though.

50 minutes ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

A Raspberry pi will do nicely, 

I have to admit that it made me laugh a lot.

Yes update your HCL and if you are really lucky then it will still be easy for you to judge Fibaro crazy decisions.

But if you will be like the guys in the following topic maybe it will be not so easy. Or heating panel dead, scenes stopping randomly, frozen twice a day, or who knows what else? Oh yes sorry it is a STABLE version, not a beta..... mah

• 1 month later...

Damn i must sound like such an apologetic scum for you all,

but i think i understand why they wanted Cloud and ID systems.

You remember the backup issues yes? (HC2 thumbdrive dies you have to send it over to Poland and i guess use some other system or candlelight or something) I am convinced that this is at least partly to create a backup system (Alexa and Intercom are gone from the planned supported servicess so i am bit skepticall for everything else) that actually dose backups... you know like a normall system would .)

The time scale and manner of deployment would have benefited from being voulentary for say 1Q 2'017, recommanded for Q2 2'017 and yes for remote access mandatory for rest, having the transsfer happen all by itselve (after user choses to convert) as oposed to massive battle with sometimes missbehaving system that we have to wage when helping people get their Fibaro ID up and running. Oh boy are those battles messed up (app updates by itselve and users go into panic mode after theya re unable to access their account remotly).

Bit less strongarmina and bit more time would've been nice i think.

Now as to why they will not support the older systems into the future: you do realise that its physicall server/s that we are chatting about yes? running those thigns aint cheap and running (pressumed two) of these things must be ridiculous waste of manpower and finances (they are diffrent technologies since new one has obviously better futures which requires much more effort in trying to keep it alive). As i've estabilished before i am fairly reasonibly convinced that Fibaro is ran by its PR/Marketing departement(s), so trying to explain to them that because people are people they need time and some additionall reasson to get new thing and as such there needs to be window in which they can freely decide to get new thing might be difficult especially given that there would be quite the computationall surplus on both systems.

I am guessing that the defending did not go too well and we are now stuck with this, rather constrictive timetable of how things are going to go, because of marketing needing more money to make ad campaing for their new favourite word "cloud".

Annyways i hope that this defense of ID cloud did nto come as to asskissing towards Fibaro, i did try and explain what i assume is going on there based upon what i've piced together from working in tech support for company that deals with Fibaro and installers (on ocasion end-customers aswell). And that it did at least a little bit explain how these thigns might go, give Fib some space and time to get their stuff together and cloud might become really good (especially if we get alexa AND backups!).

i hate cloud solutions i can't control myself

every couple of weeks there is another hack, and that are only the ones they go public

ev

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    1 hour ago, akatar said:

every couple of weeks there is another hack, and that are only the ones they go public

ev

Yes, more people should really use a VPN for connecting to their system. I know that setting a server up for that may seem like a complicate thing and overkill.

but, you can't have both flexible access via an app to you system, and a system that is not open to compromise of the underlying cloud service  at the same time.

However, this issue was not introduced by the Fibaro ID. The service we used to use was also a cloud service, and most likely as open to an attack as this one (or more).

17 hours ago, akatar said:

ev

People are naturaly laizy creatures so to end users, cloud sounds like all problems solved by somebody else way.

Virtual private network takes effort and sometimes even some knowlidge to set up, asking that from end users is unlikely to yield positive results. Hell i wont use VPN because i am too laizy (than again i dont have annything i'd connect from afar... i have all my stuff on one PC and no automation that would be my own so aside for that one computer i am fairly safe).

Allways assume that there is nothing more important to end users than things working all by themselves with as little effort from user as possible... wait that is what home automation strives to be!

I understand your point of safety and privacy on VPN but there is a reason why most people do not and will not use it AND why NATs are still thing - nobody trusts people so there has to be somehing that will enforce security weather users want to or not.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    5 hours ago, Kuba13 said:

Allways assume that there is nothing more important to end users than things working all by themselves with as little effort from user as possible... wait that is what home automation strives to be!

I agree. But, please realize that what we are discussing here is only the ability connect to your home effortlessly. Not the ability to have home automation. 

If you need to connect from afar to manually set something up regularly, then maybe you don't have enough home automation set up ;-) and are forgetful.

Basically, I just felt the need to point out that if you need external access and go though a cloud service, then you will be open to being dragged into a situation when Fibaro is hacked. This was true in the previous remote access system fibaro used, and it is still true for connecting through the new system.

Edited by FredrikKarlsson