Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

SAR value for HCL and HC2 and devices?

askpc

Hello,
If anybody could tell my where i can find information about SAR value for Home Center Lite/Home Center 2 and othe devices installed in my home ?(

Please login or register to see this link.

(Want to have clean kids room and bedroom).When i'm buying new smartphone i got this value in manual.

Routers can shut down wifi for night maybe F. could add functions/new scene for some devices to sleep mode in night...
Greeting.

Edited by askpc

I am not going to discuss anything regarding health issues, youtube is full of people explaining health affects.

I'm a technical guy, and I present you the technical facts only.

SAR is relevant to phones (and MRI scanners, to give another example) because:

• They can transmit 1 or 2 Watt (it's a bit more complex than that, because power level is adjusted as needed).
  • They are 1-2 cm away from your tissue.
  • They do that continuously.
  • They have the potential of heating up the tissue.

For Z-Wave

• They can transmit only at 0.001 Watt (so 1/1000 of a phone).
  • They are several meter, so at least 100 x further away from your phone.
  • They don't send data continuously.
  • They have no heating potential (at this power level and even when close to the antenna).

It would be quite interesting if someone could come up with a SAR level for Z-Wave.

Oh, yes, BTW, WiFi is 100 x more powerful and transmits (beacons) all the time.

• Thanks 1

"An SAR rating is only required for wireless devices intended for use within 20cm of the body", so only affected devices are remotes. But as Peter already said, the output power is minimal if you compare to mobile phones, etc. A side note: Z-Wave is using ISM (industrial, scientific and medical band), so don't worry, it will not hurt your kids, lot of medical tools are using same frequency with exact the same power ratings (ISM band is regulated).

• Thanks 1

• Topic Author
  • 33 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I am not going to discuss anything regarding health issues, youtube is full of people explaining health affects.

I'm a technical guy, and I present you the technical facts only.

SAR is relevant to phones (and MRI scanners, to give another example) because:

• They can transmit 1 or 2 Watt (it's a bit more complex than that, because power level is adjusted as needed).
    • They are 1-2 cm away from your tissue.
    • They do that continuously.
    • They have the potential of heating up the tissue.

For Z-Wave

• They can transmit only at 0.001 Watt (so 1/1000 of a phone).
    • They are several meter, so at least 100 x further away from your phone.
    • They don't send data continuously.
    • They have no heating potential (at this power level and even when close to the antenna).

It would be quite interesting if someone could come up with a SAR level for Z-Wave.

Oh, yes, BTW, WiFi is 100 x more powerful and transmits (beacons) all the time.

Ok thanks for replies.(Last weekend I was try to explain this to my wife :)

"They can transmit only at 0.001 Watt (so 1/1000 of a phone)".Ok but for  one phone in one room.
    In one smart room: 10 x of z-wave devices (dimmers,light bulbs,wall plugs,heater valves).

"An SAR rating is only required for wireless devices intended for use within 20cm of the body" -In bedroom i sleep close to wall plug,heater valve.

Edited by askpc
    • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, askpc said:

Ok thanks for replies.(Last weekend I was try to explain this to my wife :)

"They can transmit only at 0.001 Watt (so 1/1000 of a phone)".Ok but for  one phone in one room.
    In one smart room: 10 x of z-wave devices (dimmers,light bulbs,wall plugs,heater valves).

"An SAR rating is only required for wireless devices intended for use within 20cm of the body" -In bedroom i sleep close to wall plug,heater valve.

Yes, but distance is very, very important. You still have some old incandescent light bulbs? If you are sitting underneath (say at 1 meter from the bulb), you will not get burned. If you get closer, to 50 cm, you still won't notice a lot, maybe some heat. Then try 20, 10 and 5 cm. The effect is not linear, it seems to accelerate the closer you get. This happens, because the closer you are, the larger the portion of the radiated energy you get... The portion you don't get on your hand, is radiated on the surface below.

The wall plug does not transmit when there is nothing to say. So it's possible to have no transmission at all, when you sleep...

But You could "poll" it, for some reason, in this case assume you do that every 5 minutes = 300 seconds. You might get the feeling that it is "constantly transmitting" but to be fair you have to consider that polling this device takes only 0.1 s. So every 300 seconds it transmits 0.1 s. So 1/3000 of 0.001 W.

Your heater valve can be set to anything from 5 to 30 minutes.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for reply.
    It's good to know that i choose the right technology :)

Edited by askpc