Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Adding all modules in same room

MDC

Question

Hello all,

Anyone added same Fibaro modules in same room?

I plan on my new project to make a technical room in basement and add some modules in one place. Is any problem whit interference if devices is in same place? Anyone has this kind of issue?

Also in that room will be the main controller an HC2.

I'll make a secondary network whit other HC2 for motion door and smoke sensors, whit some range extenders because building is big and technical room is in basement.

Photo as a reference.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Mediacut

14 answers to this question

Hi  @Mediacutfrom my point of view it's cool but if you want to expand your zwave network with batteries devices (motion sensors...)it might not work as expected, as zwave devices powered by batteies needs to be near of  powered devices to be able to communicate (mesh network) It's a resume of how it'works you can investigate further based on this assumption . 

Edited by Tony270570

What is the benefit of such an installation? Besides that you have a direct access to all modules in case you want to exclude/add them (I have never done so in last 3 years), I see no reason for that. And as mentioned by Tony, you will lose the benefit of mesh network for devices that need to be directly in rooms (especially battery sensors).

17 hours ago, Mediacut said:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2017_08/IMG_6387.thumb.JPG.1eec2358b698911874f755a930ccf9ca.JPG" />

I'd love for Fibaro to make a DIN rail mountable module, not for putting all in one room, but all for the outside stuff like garden lights, gate controle in one nice box.

Jim

you can buy modules that can hold a fibaro module

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 15 hours ago, Tony270570 said:

Hi  @Mediacutfrom my point of view it's cool but if you want to expand your zwave network with batteries devices (motion sensors...)it might not work as expected, as zwave devices powered by batteies needs to be near of  powered devices to be able to communicate (mesh network) It's a resume of how it'works you can investigate further based on this assumption . 

My technical room is in basement, is a public building whit many employers, and i'm afraid to have no z-wave coverage in all building.....if a node is down, all building is down....if all is in same room whit HC2 will have direct connection, not node.

I not want to add module in switch box, as regular and in final to have delay on building.

All cable from building are meet in this technical room, and is more easy for me to add modules. Building is big 1600 sqm and 3 floor.

I made filed test whit 1 HC2 and i add some modules mounted as a test, one on each floor, and i have delay on z-wave network in this stage of construction, and imagine there's no doors, windows and electric cable and wifi.

For sensors with battery i plan on each floor to add 2 modules in the back of a switch just for make their own node. In this case i have z-wave network for them also.

Rest of devices, as lights and all important automation from building swimming pool, outdoor light, and so on will have modules in same area, in technical room.

My question is about interference between modules if is in same room (will be 72pcs)

1 hour ago, akatar said:

you can buy modules that can hold a fibaro module

Why to buy this, try on 

, looks more good and price is the same in final.

i thought you wanted to use fibaro modules, that's why i placed the link

otherwise i had mentioned qubino orso

interference between zwave modules?

I will make one comment: Fibaro is residential :)  Period. Good luck servicing that installation if you ever get it to work.   

I don't see any reason, except for the one mentioned about the mesh network, why you can't do this.
    All devices related to lights, alarm and heating are in the same place in my case.
    I don't have any problems with interference.

See pictures below. There are some more in the back of the panel and also in the cabine next to this one.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for sharing.

For what you have 2 controllers?

Which is purpose?

thank you

Work of one Fibaro dealer in CZ. Thankfully everything is covered in there by plastic cover.

DIN mount:

• Inquirer
  • I need to place around 50 modules in same room :)

In actual home i have 4 modules one near other and work great....i not know how will be whit 50 modules :)

@Mediacut, 50 modules indeed is a lot. You need to find a proper way to mount them into cabinet.
    The reason I have 2 contollers is that I ever started with HCL but switched to HC2 since some months. HCL still has all devices included. HC2 has all scene's and VD running.
    In short, I didn't want to exclude / include all devices while migrating :-)

• Inquirer
  • @wpeeters, thanks for the information. HCL is primary an HC2 secondary?

i will build an open cabinet in technical room, entire room will be cabinet :)

3 minutes ago, Mediacut said:

@wpeeters, thanks for the information. HCL is primary an HC2 secondary?

i will build an open cabinet in technical room, entire room will be cabinet :)

It's a gateway setup where HCL is the slave of the HC2 which is master gateway.