Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

TUTORIAL RAM update HC2

MDC

First of all, please if this topic is wrong i ask moderator to delete.

Your FIBARO HC2 is under warranty, if you decide to unscrew, maybe lose warranty, so you do this on your risk!

For we work, i add another 2 GB of ram, my system boot faster and is more stable after that.

I use some old ram from my Synology NAS, some DDR 3 PC 1066.

Step 1.

Unscrew all side screws.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Step 2.

Be careful whit antenna.

Step 3.

Unscrew antena.

Step 4.

Remove antena cable from mainboard whit hand or plastic, not use METAL!

Step 5.

Antena removed safe.

Step 6.

Remove screws from back of HC2.

Step 7.

Be careful whit connectors, is 2, one in on side and other side.

First remove big connector from led area.

Once again, use hand or plastic, not metal!

Step 8.

Flip you HC2 and remove small connector from power and restore button.

Step 9.

Remove mainboard by slide in one side, be gentle, not push, just let her out slowly.

Step 10.

Find correct ram and put all back in reverse order.

Please double check screws and cables.

EXTRA.....i was curious....maybe we can change processor....but is solder on the mainboard.

If you are curious to se how your HC2 processor looks like...be careful to use correct heat transfer products when put back.

Clean processor from old heat thermal material, and add correct back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you don't have to remove the antenna (from enclosure), simply move the mainboard in opposite direction :)

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, tinman said:

you don't have to remove the antenna (from enclosure), simply move the mainboard in opposite direction :)

Antenna easy broke, is better to remove from there :)

• 3 months later...

I just upgraded my HC2 to 4 GB of RAM.  I have removed original 1 GB module and placed there single 4 GB module.

All operation took ca. 25 minutes (without rush).

After this HC2 started smoothly.

Very first impression is that the web interface is maybe a little more responsive.

My upgrade to 8GB (2x4GB) RAM

• Like 1

Could anyone please tell,  what are the most noticeable advantages to upgrade the RAM?

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    7 hours ago, cag014 said:

Could anyone please tell,  what are the most noticeable advantages to upgrade the RAM?

I am happy for you if you got a boost out of upgrading your HC2 memory @gucio1234 but I guess for most users the effect would be minimal.

Or actually, maybe quite a bit, depending on the way you look at it, because what I see is the cause of great performance issues with the HC2 (where the added RAM and even a better CPU would help) is the maybe not so optimized scenes we are running.

In part I think Fibaro is to blame for this, since the Lua API is not really built for home automation, in my humble opinion. This fact then causes users to maybe not always implement the best solution for their scenes, and waste a lot of memory and CPU power - and then you really need the upgrade.

Ive got slightly over 60 physical devices running (101 z-wave devices according to HC2) and everything automated. Not a single block scene though, and that is because I really can't trust the HC2 to generate good code after having looked at what the blocks scenes look like in Lua. Anyway, below are dumps of my current diagnostics. I  could easily double the size of my system before memory space would become the bottleneck. Of course, this is just my system, so your milage may vary. However, I think it should be pointed out that adding more memory may not always fix the perceived problem. Please check your loops and excessive printing to a debuging console first :-)

Please read this  

Please login or register to see this link.

and realize that string operations - you should not do them as often as you are doing them now (for instance). ;-) And use local variables (but wisely).

Edited by FredrikKarlsson

@FredrikKarlsson

I do understand your point, but our scene are extremely simple... most of the code is " if.. then " and few global variables.

I'm testing  every scene, what is the impact on memory and RAM. ( using collectgarbage(), os.clock() functions..) and honestly don't see that the scene takes a lot of system resources.

To my opinion the biggest consumer of the system is the Z-wave engine... and might be the HC2 web interface and other graphic staff.

Hello guys!

On 25.08.2017 at 9:51 PM, Mediacut said:

Your FIBARO HC2 is under warranty, if you decide to unscrew, maybe lose warranty, so you do this on your risk!

For the sake of formality, I feel obligated to mention once again that such modifications will really void your warranty ; )

23 hours ago, mirko said:

My upgrade to 8GB (2x4GB) RAM

... was useless:

- as you can only make use of 4GB (actually 3040MB) with the installed Debian kernel

- as the mainboard / cpu combination can address only 4GB

• Like 2

@I.Srodka

It was mentioned at the beginning of the topic....

On 8/25/2017 at 10:51 PM, Mediacut said:

First of all, please if this topic is wrong i ask moderator to delete.

May I ask if the follow link 

is formal Fibaro warranty agreement?

Edited by cag014

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    On 2017-11-28 at 2:53 PM, cag014 said:

@FredrikKarlsson

I do understand your point, but our scene are extremely simple... most of the code is " if.. then " and few global variables.

I just wanted to point out that the structure that the Fibaro block scene transforms into on the Lua side is not really good (=efficient) Lua. Date / time triggers (checks) are done on strings, and they are expensive (and not the best solution to the problem IMHO. So, the problem for some users that are experiencing slow systems and have multiple scenes that are based on block scenes (perhaps magic scenes are built the same way?)  may not be in the simplicity of the code structure. That is not important. A thing that may actually be important, however, is to check what is done in-between the "if" and the "then". 

On 2017-11-28 at 2:53 PM, cag014 said:

@FredrikKarlsson

I'm testing  every scene, what is the impact on memory and RAM. ( using collectgarbage(), os.clock() functions..) and honestly don't see that the scene takes a lot of system resources.

To my opinion the biggest consumer of the system is the Z-wave engine... and might be the HC2 web interface and other graphic staff.

Ok, so you are having problems with your system then I assume? For me, the Z-wave engine does not seem to be a major consumer of resources, but maybe I have an odd system.

Please find attached images of my system load (on the new 4.150) when performing a full Z-wave network reconfiguration (a network heal). The only process I imagine that would tax the engine more than that is perhaps device configuration (or reconfiguration of all devices in the network, of course). I don't wan to do that to check however :-) , and those operations do not occur frequently enough for people to be experiencing issues with their systems generally because of them. This is what I am thinking anyway. 

So, what does the problems that might warrant a memory upgrade look like? I just don't see it in my system, so maybe you are then having >> 100 devices in there and my system is just to much of a small potatoes one to pick the issues up :-). 

@FredrikKarlsson

No I don't have any problems with my system. My point is that as you can see the CPU load as average is low and I believe most of that is part of Z-Wave engine.

So back to your point, I don't see that our code (scenes) either is efficient or not, doesn't consume the CPU.

Edited by cag014

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    9 hours ago, cag014 said:

@FredrikKarlsson

No I don't have any problems with my system. My point is that as you can see the CPU load as average is low and I believe most of that is part of Z-Wave engine.

So back to your point, I don't see that our code (scenes) either is efficient or not, doesn't consume the CPU.

Ok. So then why should one update memory on the HC2? It seems that we have basically shown here that for most users that operation will not likely give a performance boost, and it will certainly void your warranty and take away some hard earned money from your wallet.

Totally agree with you. That's exactly the reason that I've asked the users what is the reason and what exactly shows better performance before I spend money on unnecessary upgrade.

Thanks  

• 2 months later...

Perhaps just to chip in a bit on the experience and motivation to upgrade the memory. May not be able to scientifically quantify the upgrade but at least it did restore system stability after the memory upgrade during the early version 4.0xx days.

I think during the early version 4 days, the system was pretty much unstable and often many of us keep encountering system hung, delayed scenes, memory utilization shooting pass 98% or 99% before it hung. Ever since the memory upgrade from its default 1GB to 2x2GB (on a HC2 which has DN2800MT mainboard), immediately noticeable is that memory utilization never shoots pass 70% and CPU utilization hardly spikes up (which I deem it as hot-swap or I/O related activities that usually happens on system that has insufficient physical memory to cater for application usages hence hot-swap between physical memory and virtual memory causing spikes in CPU load).

No system hung over the last 2 or 3 years since the memory upgrade and system stability has been great overall.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The topic has been moved from "

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".