Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[HomeKit-Version] Motion Sensor - light level (lux) as a trigger

venom466

Hi all,

just to be clear, I'm a new user of Fibraro product, I bought yesterday the Fibaro FGBHMS-001 HomeKit con Multi-Sensor, and I would like to use it through the homekit app with Apple tv 4th gen.

At the moment I paired the multi sensor with the philips Hue lamp in my kitchen, and I have created the 1st scene (through Fibraro app) in order to turn on the light when the sensor finds a movement and turn off the light after 30 second without any movement, and everything works fine....

What  want to do now is trigger the turn on and turn off the light accordingly with the light sensor.... can you please confirm that is not yet possible???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fabio

Hi @venom466!

Currently, it's impossible to set automation using light level (lux parameter). We are aware of that limitation and we work on a solution so that using lux level and/or temperature reading as a trigger will be possible.

• 4 months later...

Try with Elgato Eve app...you can set a temperature trigger, I suppose that it work with lux parameter too.

You can do that in Fibaro app from version 1.7.0

@Fraz76, it wasn't possible in October but since 1.7.0 version of our app, it is also possible in Fibaro for HomeKit Devices app:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:16 PM, I.Srodka said:

@Fraz76, it wasn't possible in October but since 1.7.0 version of our app, it is also possible in Fibaro for HomeKit Devices app:

it is not working. I tried everything.

Also tried writing to the support, but didn't get an answer for almost a week.

Edited by mrg

Hi @mrg!

After you change configuration, make sure that the module is not too far away from Apple TV.

It is also worth trying to remove and insert the battery again.

Finally, as you can find in our manual:

Please login or register to see this link.

Light intensity measuring: The Motion Sensor measures light intensity. If the measured light intensity differs from previously reported by at least 200 lux, accessory reports it to your iOS device.

And make sure you placed the sensor in the right spot, as:

The accessory measures light intensity in the place of installation, not where the sensor is pointed.

19 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @mrg!

After you change configuration, make sure that the module is not too far away from Apple TV.

It is also worth trying to remove and insert the battery again.

Finally, as you can find in our manual:

Please login or register to see this link.

And make sure you placed the sensor in the right spot, as:

Thank you very much for your quick reply and your help!

I'm afraid I already ruled all those things out.

- The distance to the AppleTV is fine. Motion sensor works flawlessly.

- I did the battery thing and also a reset

- And lastly I already read the fine manuals

The 200 lux thing however I thought must be a mistake and not up to date as the latest software version enabled lux as trigger.

Basically what this is saying is that if the last report was at 199 lux it won't tell you when it get's to 0 lux nor up to 398 lux.

It's 8 a.m. right now and quite bright for a winter morning. The reading of the sensor says 34 lux. So it could basically be 233 lux, too?

Just imagine the temperature being reported in 20° steps... What's the point of it then?

This whole light intensity thing is not working out at all. Again, I read the manual and I know about "The accessory measures light intensity in the place of installation, not where the sensor is pointed." However if that sensor doesn't even register a light change when I fire up three 11W LEDs less than 2m away, then this feature is quite useless. It does register when I blind it with a flash light and reports it to the AppleTV immediately.

There is just no way to use the light intensity sensor to discern between night, dusk and dawn.

I really hoped there was an error somewhere else. The device is pretty neat and my plan was to put one in every room. Unfortunately I have to return even this one I have.

Thanks again for your help.

mrg

Edited by mrg

• 9 months later...

This configuration works only from the EVE application.
I tried to do this automation and after adding it from the Fibaro application, the lights did not turn on.
After adding such automation from the EVE application, it works correctly.

Unfortunately, as described above, the sensor reports to the control unit if the change in light intensity is greater than 200 lux and it is not possible to change this parameter.
For this reason, the light intensity sensor is practically useless, unless we hang it directly under the light bulb or put it near the window (but then it will be worse with the space for motion detection). At night, after switching on the lighting, my sensor, which is located approx. 2 meters from the bulb, shows 41 lux (after brushing the phone with it, to read more than 200 lux and taking the phone)..

As you can see, the problem is signaled, but nothing has changed for 10 months.

• 1 year later...

If this is still the situation as of today, I have to return the sensor unit. I wasn't having much fun with two Fibaro Wall Plugs (device not ready) and this make it worse. I was hoping to find a Homekit-native solution to switch the lights on at dusk or sooner if there was a cloudy or rainy day, but when  the clouds would be gone, the lights would go off. But pointed out by @mrg above, these numbers are wild and not useable in any circumstance.

• 1 year later...

So I’m also experiencing this issue regarding triggering scenes under certain lux levels. After much debugging I’ve found that it only triggers scenes if the lux level reaches zero(e.x goes from 250 lux to 0 or goes from 0 to 150 lux) and have a trigger set for less or greater then 100 lux. The scenes do not trigger if the lux level goes from ex. 250 to 55 and you have a condition set to less then 100 lux. What I don’t know is if this is a HomeKit issue or FIBARO issue? The lux value updates fine when you look at it in HomeKit, only scenes does not trigger unless the value reaches or starts from zero. I don’t know the HomeKit protocol enough to know if it’s the device that tells HomeKit if it should trigger scenes or if it’s HomeKit that trigger scenes on value updates? From user perspective it looks like the FIBARO product sends two lux values to HomeKit. The one that you as user sees in HomeKit and a ghost value for triggering scenes which seems like a Boolean value: false when lux is zero and true when lux value is anything else than zero.

Using IOS/TVOS 15.3 and Fibaro motion sensor HK with firmware version 1.1.0

@A.Socha is this something you can look into?

Edited by kapperdk