Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Smoke Sensor & Sauna temperature

OlegV

Question

Hi guys (and support :)

From its manual:

Operational Temperature: 0 - 55 C
Measured Temperature Range: -20 to 100 C

Does it mean that it's not allowed to use it in Sauna as Fire alarm sensor (up to 90 C)? Maybe anybody tried? Even if it works, IMHO, no good condition for device battery.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi @OlegV!

As you already suggested, saunas are not the best place for Fibaro Smoke Sensor.

Smoke Sensor has an optical measuring tool which can be triggered by the steam.

8 hours ago, OlegV said:

Operational Temperature: 0 - 55 C
Measured Temperature Range: -20 to 100 C

This fragment means that device is capable of measuring temperatures from -20 to 100 C but only for a short period of time. Its normal operating temperatures shouldn't be lower than 0C and higher than 55C.

When it comes to saunas, the humidity is also important, so according to our manual, the humidity level for Smoke Sensor shouldn't be higher than 93%.

It all depends on your exact sauna. 

If there is usually hotter than 55C then you shouldn't use the Smoke Sensor there.

For sauna, you need something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

Quote: "The BE-23 (SW-1K) is a fixed-temperature heat detector. It contains a bi-metallic sensor with a contact which closes at alarm temperature, thereby transmitting an alarm signal to the central panel." That temperature is 150 degrees C. It is also IP55...

I do not own this product, I just happened to have this link in my collection of "specialty devices"...

Edit: you then connect it to a 12 V compatible module, like the Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor:

Edited by petergebruers

For sauna it's possible use:

From Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor or Door/Window Sensor 2 (installed external) with connected thermometer in special casing

Please login or register to see this image.

or

any Qubino switch or thermostat with same external sensor but with different connector 

0_0_productGfx_fda95eea2ea747e2ba215bacc569c8d9.jpg

specification with working temperature: 

I use configuration with Qubino 1D connected to sauna controller (as remote switch) with Dallas sensor in casing from foto from 2 years without any problem to start, stop sauna and send to Sonos speaker and my portable message when sauna have good temperature. I installed thermometer (dallas sonda) near to sensor of sauna controller in the hole in the sauna wall (1 cm of sensor is visible in sauna)

• Inquirer
  • Thanks to all for your answers. I'm using UBS with DS18B20, no problem to know temperature there. But Fire/Smoke sensor?

10 hours ago, drboss said:

For sauna it's possible use:

From Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor or Door/Window Sensor 2 (installed external) with connected thermometer in special casing

10 hours ago, drboss said:

I use configuration with Qubino 1D connected to sauna controller (as remote switch) with Dallas sensor in casing from foto from 2 years without any problem to start, stop sauna and send to Sonos speaker and my portable message when sauna have good temperature. I installed thermometer (dallas sonda) near to sensor of sauna controller in the hole in the sauna wall (1 cm of sensor is visible in sauna)

31 minutes ago, OlegV said:

Thanks to all for your answers. I'm using UBS with DS18B20, no problem to know temperature there. But Fire/Smoke sensor?

I would like to list a few important differences between UBS + temp sensor and the answer I gave in my previous post:

The BE-23 is a true FIRE ALARM sensor. Its primary function is to detect if the place is on fire. It uses a simple on/off reporting mechanism (a switch). It is very robust, it does not produce false alarms. You can connect it to a Z-Wave module, so you get remote status. But I would certainly add a relay and a siren (possibly with battery backup, because fire tends to cause short circuits), so it is 100% reliable and gives a very clear audible indication. No Z-Wave stuff involved!

If no false alarms and 100% reliability is important, this is the kind of technology you want.

If you can live with less reliability, you can use the solutions suggested by @drboss

Be careful though, the combination of UBS plus sensor can cause false temperature readings that might trigger your alarm (it has been mentioned several times on this forum, search "potential fire"). If you use it as a fire alarm, this might cause a lot of distress...

As Mr I.Srodka already said, (optical) fire alarms are not compatible with saunas:

19 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

This fragment means that device is capable of measuring temperatures from -20 to 100 C but only for a short period of time. Its normal operating temperatures shouldn't be lower than 0C and higher than 55C.

When it comes to saunas, the humidity is also important, so according to our manual, the humidity level for Smoke Sensor shouldn't be higher than 93%.

I hope this helps you to decide what you really need...

I bought the smart sauna timer from Thermomart in the following link,

The product works. It’s good quality. It is easy to download the app and I paired it in 15 minutes.

This timer saves me $30-$50 a month and also I do everything on my cellphone or by voice (by Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant) from anywhere!

The Timer can be programmed as scheduled (24 hours 7 days with 8 events) or loop timers if you want to use more event every day. It has a countdown timer too.

It has a waterproof box and it is suitable for outside. I use the sharing system and now my wife can control the sauna pump too.

Would definitely recommend purchasing.

Edited by seanmaz