Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Flood Sensor Battery Life

Robert S

Question

I am using the flood sensors with Homeseer. I have set up the first one of five for a test. When it was first installed 4 days ago, I read 93% battery life. I am already down to 89%. At thew current pace, battery maintenance will be extreme. Is this usual behavior, or should I look at something to try to extend the battery life. I have not changed any of the default polling etc.

7 answers to this question

Hi, maybe you need to veryfy wake interval, default is 4000 seconds, but it's on Fibaro systems, maybe Homeseer need to wake this device  more often? You need to check temperature sensor as well.

I can see, that you're from Canada,  and the flood sensor is on proper Canadian frequency  (908/916) ? You can check setting of the LED indicator, default value for  63 parameter, default is "2".

Always you can try to use an extend power supply and remove the battery ;)

Regards,

Chris

• Inquirer
  • I have the polling settings at about 1 - 1.5 hrs - there are different settings for each alarm or component.

Yes it is the Canada frequency (it does work)

The LED is OFF

External power supply is impossible, as it is in a bathroom, and no power is available where the device sits.

What is the expected life expectancy of the devices

After 3 months in use with HC2 and default values i had to change the battery of my flood sensor.  

And this is not the only battery device with this issue ; the keyfob and the smoke sensor are also not performing up to the standards/expectation.

I would appreciate if somebody from fibaro could comment on what the possible cause could be for the short shelflive? 

What can we do to enjoy an extended battery live without loosing out on functionality?

Did you setup the flood sensor with battery installed or did you hardwire it when setting it up initially. 

i am considering to connect my floodsensor to external supply. Any recommendation on how to proceed. What are the do's and don't do's.

Are there ready to use solutions?

On 2018-02-05 at 6:13 AM, Roland declerck said:

i am considering to connect my floodsensor to external supply. Any recommendation on how to proceed. What are the do's and don't do's.

Are there ready to use solutions?

I purchased this

Please login or register to see this link.

and used my own wiring/shrink-tubing to complete the job.  I did drill a hole (for the wires) in the lower half of the unit, just below the threads that the upper half use to connect.  I then used

Please login or register to see this link.

to make a good water seal around the wires.

Only issue I've found is that my unit reports a 4% battery, even though there is no battery installed.  My 1st-gen SmartThings hub sends me a notification every few days, which is annoying.

Another issue is that if I install a fresh battery (as a backup), it drains it from 100% to 4% within 24 hours.  Also, the unit will drain it's battery in 24 hours if it is reporting a flood event for all that time.  I guess there isn't a way to change it's settings (to fix this battery drain issue) without using a Fibaro hub.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2