Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Blocked by Fibaro Wall Plug's child protection?

net

Question

I feel dumb and newby again....:(

The child protection blocks  when I use a plug like below.

Any tips?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

16 answers to this question

I know this from different vendors, these child protection sometimes is working to good.

You should be patient and try to fiddle it into the plug. Sometimes you must use more force.......

hi @net,

the struggle is real. I even struggle with normal Euro Schuko Plugs.

Sometimes they just don't want to go in.

Solution of my girlfriend: remove the fibaro wallplug and plug it in without it ;(

I wonder if anyone found a solution to make it slide in smoothly.

BR, kro

• Inquirer
  • Any tips from Fibaro?

Hi guys!

If there is a problem with plugging a plug, try to do it separately, and by that, I mean hold the Fibaro Wall Plug in the air, and plug the device.

You can also check whether the plug and its pins are straight. If not, try to straight them up a bit.

This child protection shouldn't be so hard to overcome if the plug pins are okay.

in a german amazon review they say:

initialy there were issues with the child protection. It blocked sometimes. This has been resolved with newer Wallplugs.

It's from 15.11.2017. Will ask the guy which version he got.

Mine are FGWP101

@I.Srodka the plugs that I struggle with on the fibaro wall plug work fine in all outlets and extension cords I have.

You don't seriously recommend unplugging the wall plug from the wall socket to plug in the hair dryer and then plug the wall plug back into the socket??

Tell this your girlfriend/wife and report back your findings here.

still thanks for the try to help.

BR - kro

Edited by kroeatschge

15 minutes ago, kroeatschge said:

You don't seriously recommend unplugging the wall plug from the wall socket to plug in the hair dryer and then plug the wall plug back into the socket??

Of course, hairdryer may be not the best example for this solution, I meant it for something less frequently plugged and unplugged : )

Furthermore, if the child protection is objectively hard to pass, tested with different plugs, etc. you're welcome to send them in under the warranty procedure.

ok. I undertand what you mean. I get it in with some patience and swearing.

Some of them are never unplugged as they are used in difficult to reach places or special pruposes (backup disks on and of and so on).

If the newer ones realy work better I'd replace the one in the bathroom (toothbrush / hairdryer)  and use the stubborn ones somewhere else.

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

This child protection shouldn't be so hard to overcome

Indeed, it shouldn't but it does.

It blocks, I tried several plugs of that kind,  make the plug wider. Used more force. No effect.

It seems that a plastic layer is blocking the mechanism.

Any way to open the device?

20 minutes ago, kroeatschge said:

ill ask the guy which version he got.

fibar group, wall plug FGWPE/F-102

• Inquirer
  • I have over 15 devices, it is always annoying putting plugs in and out. Users unplug the Fibaro Wall Plug.

But they also play a roll in the ZWAVE node network.

How do I remove this protection?

Same problem here. I scraped a bit of the safety slots so the plug finds its way better to open it. Even then you have to wiggle a bit, but it works for my wife :D

Important to know: my wallplugs already where are out of warranty.

Luckily I only have two, and I'm not buying these crappy things anymore. Unless the FIB_FGWPF-102-ZW5 are way better then the FGWPE/F-102.

Edited by qsdom

This is definitely problem with Fibaro wall plugs. That protection is done too good so it protects even when it shouldn't. My wife used to remove Fibaro plug and connect vacuum cleaner directly to wall socket. But nowadays I don't mind any more since I installed Aeotech HEM so our house consumption is always monitored and plugs don't matter any more. Now I used them solely for control of connected devices and appliances since it is definitely not good on wall sockets where plug needs to be frequently connected/disconnected.

On 7.12.2017 at 1:34 PM, I.Srodka said:

You can also check whether the plug and its pins are straight. If not, try to straight them up a bit.

This plug is a Europlug, where by definition the pins are at a slight angle for better contact with different socket types. He should not bend them straight.

I remember, that we had some problems in the past. We have E version of the wall plug, not shuko ones.

Just of the curiosity it started to happen with one Wall plug that i have for training model. But i think i lost warranty on that one.

I had about 30 minuts before i had to start Fibaro training.

So i desperately disassembled wall plug, removed/inserted child protection spring and assembled it again. That wall plug worked since then and still working.

A bit late to the convo but here's what I do with my 1 Fibaro wallplug that has an overactive child-lock. I've added some graphite to make it slide better, rattled it,  used force. nothing worked.. except this:

Hold the plug upside down so the prongs are pointing upward, shake it a little bit, and insert the plug into the fibaro from the bottom.  with mine, it works everytime.