Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Heating Control Using Fibaro Double Switch 2

Mark L

Question

Hello,

My heating system currently has a room thermostat and a hot water cylinder thermostat. It seems that all that happens when they're triggered is that a circuit is completed and 240V is returned - so the thermostats simply act like a relay.

Can I then replace those two sensors with a Fibaro Double Switch 2 - then on my z-wave network, I'll also have a z-wave room temperature sensor, and a z-wave temperature sensor on the cylinder (Universal Sensor connected to a Probe).

These all connect via z-wave to a raspberry pi controller running z-way - and that can decide based on the temperatures, the current user preference (via a custom UI), and whether we're home or away (whether any of our phones are connected to the wifi or not) etc, whether to open or close the Double Switch outputs to simulate demand for either hot water, heating or both. Would that work ?

It seems the power for the current sensors comes from the boiler timer controls - when it is "in hours" they are at 240V otherwise 0V - so I'd need to bypass that - take a permanently on 240V feed as input to the double Switch.

Also - it looks from the junction box, that the demand supplies power to the valves on either the hot water circuit or the water cylinder circuit - and those each have an output that's joined together and connects to the boiler - I assume saying, if either the water or heating valve is open, then start the boiler running. Which should still work if I replace the current sensors with the Fibaro Switch.

Is the above a reasonable solution ? Is there anything I'm missing ? 

Regards,

Mark

1 answer to this question

Bit of a long time ago, but how did you get on?

I'm thinking of replacing my boiler control unit with a double switch. One for hot water the other for central heating. Cost of a double switch is much less than a new controller which most of the time is set to always on as I use a z-wave thermostat to program and control the heating. I still have to go to the controller if I want to boost the hot water. I do like your idea re replacing the relay on the cylinder, I already have some probes fitted.