Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HCL won’t reconnect automatically after power out

sarf77

Question

Hi All, 

i experience power outages often. When we lose

power, the HCL reboots but won’t connect to the Internet. My suspicion is that it attempts to do so whilst the modem reboots but reaches a time

out before connection is established. Once it locks out we have no access remotely or locally on devices. 

Can I extend the timeout period or is there another workaround? 

EDIT: I believe it was also swapping ip address under DHCP on power out. See below regarding static IP now established with same problem. (sort of)

Edited by Smarterelec
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

Two things could be done:

1) Buy a HC2 and use the program on the Fibaro Marketplace to check if there is a network connection. If there is not, the program will turn on the socket to which the router is connected.

2) Buy a UPS for your wifi router.

Sadly, both solutions will drain your christmas budget.

Edited by Thomasn

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Tom,

Since this time, I have found that by setting the static IP outside the DHCP range of my router it solved the problem. However, this makes it REALLY laggy to connect to.

@Smarterelec: can you please explain some more?

DHCP range, e.g. 10 to 100 and the HCL static IP is 20, it does not work but if static IP of HCL is 5 it does work?

• Inquirer
  • DHCP range of the router is 10.0.01-137 .

Ive let dhcp assign it all within that range and tried setting it static also on those IPs. Ive then taken it out of that range and set it static at 10.0.0.150. Once I set it outside DHCP range it gets super laggy.

If I sit it within dhcp it loses connection on power outage but on static IP it get internet again.

I just had a further thought, What if I was to set a static DHCP lease within the dhcp range?  Then it knows EXACTLY where to find it each time it fires up. ????

Thanks for clarification. on my router (AVM) it is not even possible to establish any connection with a device, having its IP outside the DHCP range.

I have my DHCP range set to XX.XX.XX.010 to XX.XX.XX.250 and have assigned within the HCL the static IP address XX.XX.XX.020. The very same address I declared as static on my router. So both the HCL and the router have this static connection. I think this should also work for you.

• Inquirer
  • Ive just tried setting a static IP within the dhcp range. Its back to "not on the internet" ... Now the reason Im saying "  " is because , although the internet light is not illuminated on the HCL, I still have remote access to it via 4g by turning off my wifi on my phone.  so even though it indicates otherwise, It IS in fact on the internet.

The Network light is always on solid, its just the internet light that is not. . HOWEVER.... If I restart the HCL (power off/on) once the router is established,  it then comes back on with the internet light solid.

Its almost like, it tries to get internet before the router has established itself when power comes back on, it cant get it, so it spits the dummy and wont light the light. The internet comes online within HCL from the router but it still refuses to light the internet light.

Perhaps I need to install a delay timer for startup on the HCL. Power comes on, Delay on timer holds power from HCL for 5 minutes, then turns on. Gives the router time to establish.

The delay timer could be a nice addition to the firmware update.