Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How smart is your home?

chigori

Hi,

I started 2 years ago with Fibaro and added continuously z-wave devices to my system. I can do all the regular stuff, probably like most people... turn on lights, use Fibaro as an alarm, control my heating, etc. But the more I can control things in my house.... the less I feel that I'm building a really 'smart home', which was my purpose from the beginning.

So I wonder. How smart is your house? Up to what degree does Fibaro take smart decisions for you? What are the things you used to do manually and are now automated through Fibaro? What is your house able to do now that it wasn't in the pre-automation era?

Many thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @chigori, Great topic ! the question rather might be how creative do you feel ?  :) .. would love to hear what others are doing and what they think is clever / smart etc.

Mine is by no means a very smart house, but it is a bit clever, and it really suits us and makes our lives easier / safer or more comfortable ( which is the point I suppose ), and I don't think control makes it smart, i think it's more how you implement the control to achieve an objective that makes it smart. I have a list of not implemented, or imploemented and failed, or implemented and withdrawn as it wasn't really as cool as I thought. Google home has removed a lot of the sonos talking i used to have set up.

For me, really anything repetitive, or comfort based I think personally are the best things you can automate. So control through the app doesn't interest me, double clicking a switch or having something just happen automagically is clever to me ( not necessarily smart )

My Fibaro system looks after from the driveway towards the back ;

Automated night lighting along the driveway

* Automated gate control ( Partially implemented, but not completed yet  .. Likely with either fibaro intercom or Helios, but they are both so bloody expensive ! )

Front door control ( Lock & Camera )

LED strip lighting for night safety down the hallway.

LED strip lighting under the kitchen kickboards for safety / comfort lighting

LED strip lighting in toilet at night for low impact lighting.

Humidity control for walk in robe ( along side ensuite with exhaust fan control and lighting control at night )

Humidity control for main bathroom with exhaust fan control.

Towel rail control for chilly mornings, not for warmer mornings.

Bathroom & Ensuite underfloor heating for the same ( chilly not warm )

*Airconditioning control based on presence. ( Not completed yet. Cant find a replacement controller that will work with my A/C yet )

Wine cellar humidity and temperature control ( dehumidifier / humidifer control )

Fibaro buttons for my very elderly motherinlaw, RED panic ( all lights on full if night time and chirp alarm ) ( otherwise day time chirp alarm and push / text email a list of people ) ( also tied into an aeotec single button fob ), Green normal lights on, Black for night lighting ( mounted on a white bedside cabinet easy contrast at night to see ).

Under bed lighting for my motherinlaw ( and just recently us !) so the strip leds come on when it sees feet on the floor at night and the lights are off .. which then triggers hallway low level lighting to the toilet and kitchen ..

Rest of the house

Sonos music based on presence and time of day and * person ( person not working yet so on hold )

*Roller shutter control based on temperature outside and time of day. ( Not quite completed yet. Shutters in and wiring ready within the next month, just need a few $ to get the shutter controllers together ! )

Will also use this as a thermal mass shutter to heat the slab during the day in winter and close it up to keep heat in during evening & opposite in summer ..

Ventilation window opening if the air conditioner isn't on, if it's cooler outside and if it's over set temp inside. Ventilation window closing if the airconditioner is on, or if it's warmer outside, and over set temp. ( opposite in winter )

Deck and outdoor lighting based on time / lights on in the house or not, access lighting for back door approach.

Automated watering based on weather, weather forecast, lux & UV,  along with time of day.

Garage door control

Much of the above I've duplicated at the farm also but with the addition of

Control of my little observatory, based on current weather, time, ambient temperature and forecast weather.

Control of the dehumidifier in the observatory, and red LED lighting based on a number of parameters to maintain night vision.

Automated shutters for storm and when alarm is set and we are back in the city.

At least that's all I can think of while sitting here at work ! :)

Cheers,

al.

Edited by alandee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

my big pain is and still remains the alarming system. I used different scenarios (zones, presence detection, etc) but everything failed as someone has to press some buttons to arm the alarm.

I found a way to auto arm door contacts without any user interaction with very few lines of LUA! This gave me a very accurate and reliable way to auto-arm perimeter and disarm it again but still I get an issue how to get disarm if a group of people try to open that door when is armed. I will post all the code when is ready, as task is under heavy development.