Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

sigma designs 700 series

fkruis

There is coming  a sigma z-wave 700 series. a new series of fibaro devices is coming ?

see:

Please login or register to see this link.

Las Vegas, NV – CES 2018 Venetian Ballroom — January 8, 2018 8:00 AM PT — Sigma Designs® (NASDAQ: SIGM), a leading provider of intelligent system-on-chip (SoC) solutions for smart home IoT, today unveils its new 700-Series Z-Wave platform, which include numerous performance and technological enhancements in energy-efficiency and RF performance, while being cost-effective, built to power the context-aware smart home.

Z-Wave 700-Series is a long range, low power and future-proof hardware platform with integrated software tools and building blocks enabling a whole new generation of Z-Wave sensor devices. 700-Series will drive the battery-powered device trend, empowering Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning systems to utilize sensor data and make smart homes smarter, safer, and more connected.

“Sigma’s Z-Wave 700-Series chip will completely reshape the meaning of smart home. It solves for many of today’s technological barriers, while being the most flexible, interoperable platform, bringing smart home functionality to a new level,” said Raoul Wijgergangs, VP of Sigma Designs’ Z-Wave Business Unit. “700-Series opens opportunities for new classes of sensors that weren’t possible before, while making remarkable improvements to existing device categories. 700-Series is creating a path to full home installations, moving from tens of Z-Wave devices to hundreds of Z-Wave devices per home. Our new platform assures the environment that will take homes from smart to truly intelligent.”

Key features of the 700-Series platform include:

• Low power: 700-Series will have best-in-class low power radio performance enabling multiyear battery lifetime and more than 10-year sensor lifetime on a coin-cell.
  • Long range: 700-Series platform will enable range of more than 300 feet, covering multi-stories in a house and the far end of the yard.
  • Low cost and fast time to market: 700-Series gets developers started fast with low cost developer kits, tools and readymade certified reference code ensuring minimum time from prototype to certified product.
  • High performance: Powerful ARM®-based platform with large memory on the chip and many peripherals, enabling intelligence at the edge with fast energy efficient computation and secure inclusion in less than one second.
  • Certified interoperable and backwards compatible: Every 700-Series device will have the highest level of security in the smart home with Z-Wave Security 2 (S2) framework and consistent easy install with Z-Wave SmartStart.

The energy-efficient and long range wireless communication with the 700-Series Z-Wave platform, allows smart home sensors to go beyond the current limits. This means that smart homes can extend to the yard, the end of the driveway and seamlessly cover multiple stories in a home. The extremely low power consumption enables new small form factor Z-Wave sensors which can be embedded into new places such as into furniture, windows and even behind dry walls.

The 700-Series platform will continue to utilize and build on top of core Z-Wave features such as S2 and SmartStart. Sigma’s Security 2 (S2) architecture, which combines existing and new security features, allows Z-Wave to continue to be the safest, most secure ecosystem of smart devices on the global market. SmartStart is an easy way to automatically create and configure Z-Wave networks for instant device installation success. Comprising the new Z-Wave protocol and gateway software layers, SmartStart pre-configures devices to the network before they reach the home, dramatically reducing installation time, and thereby costs, to maximize return on investment (ROI) for installers and remove difficulty of DIY installations for homeowners.

• Like 1

Well, i believe some 1st devices will appear Q3 or Q4 this year. But i personally think, that Fibaro starts to make devices with Z-Wave 700 in 2019.

Also, if they start with new Home Center as their 1st product on Z-Wave 700, that will be great.

1 hour ago, Muhammad said:

seems like a good upgrade as reachability is a huge concern in big villas and even apartments..

all depends on environment, having HC2 placed in the middle of 3 floor house you can lot of qm covered

Please login or register to see this code.

but in real world 500qm can be easily covered with sufficient devices (mesh).

Yes, 700 series is game changer, especially for sensors (low power) and higher output power by similar consumption

4 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

Well, i believe some 1st devices will appear Q3 or Q4 this year.

Beta / Dev Boards begin of Q3, production begin of Q4, that's the plan

But i personally think, that Fibaro starts to make devices with Z-Wave 700 in 2019.

well, for new products who knows, for current 500 based products i don't think there is need to update (maybe except window / motion sensors)

Also, if they start with new Home Center as their 1st product on Z-Wave 700, that will be great.

normally gateway certification takes much longer than device certification, especially there must be smartstart implemented, based on new API, different SDK etc. .. that's take time.

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

well, for new products who knows, for current 500 based products i don't think there is need to update (maybe except window / motion sensors)

Series 500 is great. Door/Window and Motion sensors could be updated by series 700 if energy harvesting experiemnts would be succesfull. But also you need some device, that could send power over the air, so maybe update to Dimmers, Switches and Z-Wave Extenders?

7 minutes ago, tinman said:

normally gateway certification takes much longer than device certification, especially there must be smartstart implemented, based on new API, different SDK etc. .. that's take time.

That's true about longer certification process. But i do not know, i don't see smartstart as killing feature. I'm maybe too comfy about how it is working now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

But i do not know, i don't see smartstart as killing feature. I'm maybe too comfy about how it is working now.

on paper works, and it will make lot of things easier for customers and installers (there is nothing funny spending time on explanation like "now, click 3 times, wait that different product, click one ...)

Thanks for sharing.  I'm not so easily impressed by specs. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. ;-)

So here's some specs of chips I have toyed with, to give you an impression of what "a 2018 chip looks like".

Non Z-Wave solution based on ESP32 board cost 5 - 10 EUR based on dual core with 4MB = four mega byte flash. Wifi + bluetooth. I own three of them.

SDK and compiler: open source.

Key features

Bluetooth, compliant with Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE specification.

Wifi 802.11 n (2.4 GHz), up to 150 Mbps. Simultaneous Infrastructure BSS Station mode/SoftAP mode/Promiscuous mode.

Xtensa® dual-core 32-bit LX6 microprocessor(s), up to 600 DMIPS, 80 - 240 MHz clock frequency.

448 kB ROM

520 kB SRAM about 1/2 of that available to user code when running BT and WIFI

16 kB SRAM in RTC

4MB flash

34 × programmable GPIOs
12-bit SAR ADC up to 18 channels
2 × 8-bit DAC
10 × touch sensors
Temperature sensor
4 × SPI
2 × I2S
2 × I2C
3×UART
1 host (SD/eMMC/SDIO)
1 slave (SDIO/SPI)
Ethernet MAC interface with dedicated DMA and IEEE 1588 support

CAN 2.0
IR (Tx/Rx)
Motor PWM
LED PWM up to 16 channels
Hall sensor

Key weak points compared with Z-Wave: power consumption (difficult to manage), steep learning curves, too many standards, no "modules" so purely DIY solution. If it doesn't work, you'll have to fix it yourself.

Full specs

Nearest Z-Wave competitor right now:

Z-Uno. Z-Wave only. I own three of them. 8 bit processor based on 8051 instruction set. Documentation of the chip: only available to (paying) SDK owners under NDA. Documentation of the Z-Uno is public.

Programming the Z-Uno is made possible by (a) closed zource Z-Wave.me firmware (b) open source SDCC compiler.

Z-Wave SDK = under NDA = "expensive" but not needed to make your own Z-Wave device.

• 28 kB Flash memory for your sketches
  • 2 kB RAM available
  • Z-Wave RF transmitter at 9.6/40/100 kbps
  • 26 GPIO (overlaps with special hardware controllers)

(serial port)
  • 16 kB 

(master or slave)
  • 4 IR controllers, 1 IR learn capability
  • 1 TRIAC/ZEROX to control dimmer
  • 3 Interrupts
  • 1 Timer 4 MHz
  • Please login or register to see this link.

(software)
  • Please login or register to see this link.

(software)
  • 8x6 

(software)
  • 2 service LED, 1 service button
  • 1 user test LED

And then there is ARM based SoC, I own a few but have not programmed them yet. They cost a few EUR (maybe 5 for the most recent Nordic SoC)

For instance, ARM + BLE SoC:

"The nRF51822 is a powerful, highly flexible multiprotocol SoC ideally suited for Bluetooth® low energy and 2.4GHz ultra low-power wireless applications. The nRF51822 is built around a 32-bit ARM® Cortex™ M0 CPU with 256kB/128kB flash + 32kB/16kB RAM for improved application performance. The embedded 2.4GHz transceiver supports both Bluetooth low energy and the Nordic Gazell 2.4 GHz protocol stack which is on air compatible with the nRF24L series products from Nordic Semiconductor."

Edited by petergebruers