Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wake Up Dead Nodes

avigo

Hi

my IMHO your device(s) located too far from HC

how to prevent? Locate it near HC or buy any powered device(s) what can be bridge between HC and your far located device(s)

Edited by 10der

• 1 year later...

Is there any way to wake up dead devices on Home Center Light? It does not support LUA, but may be it is possible via API?

Edited by Ros

FYI all fibaro commands are an API, here wake device API command. Change the device number to your device

http://HCl-IPaddress/api/devices/792/action/wakeUpDeadDevice

Still I do not recommend waking up devices when they drop dead without searching for solution.

There are several things that users can do to prevent having dead devices:

1. Check all devices that are synchronized with HC2 (can be done on FW 4.540 and up). To check that go to Advanced tab of the main slave device (this is the one you see on home page) and scroll down. If you see rotating circle and red notification that device is not synced and is waiting for wakeup then do SOFT reconfiguration. It is possible that first or even second soft reconfiguration of Fibaro motion and door/window sensors will not be successful in which case you have to bring them more near to home center and try again. Never forget that this is wireless system and radio waves are sensitive to obstacles and distance. Don't be pus.. and complaint immediately after one try and blame everyone and everything else ;-) 
  2. Battery devices that are placed more far from home center might need some mains powered device to be placed between them to get better communication. Also, they can have problems with battery level reporting and can have slower communication, solution is still the same, either add mains powered device or change battery more frequently and don't wait for report. You can even put new battery to far placed device and then its battery to device which battery is depleted but is placed more near to home center.
  3. Use @cag014  

Please login or register to see this link.

and @petergebruers 

Please login or register to see this link.

to see how you can improve z-wave network responsiveness by reducing unnecessary reports from devices. 
  4. Check all your scripts and improve code not to send commands to devices if it is not needed. Read first value from device that you want to change and send command only if it is different. Scripts that handle many devices at once should have implemented short pauses between each command so that home center have enough time to receive confirmation form previous devices before sending to next. If you really want them to all act as one then use device association.

I had lots of problems with my z-wave network when I started playing with Fibaro Home Center 2. When my network grow to more than 80 devices problems also became bigger, like dead devices, disconnected devices (can't control them form HC anymore), deleted devices from HC, corrupted z-wave database, frozen z-wave not responding anymore (LED constantly on) etc.

I was desperate and almost ready to give up. But giving up is not in my nature, so what I did is rebuild my z-wave from scratch. In that time my z-wave grown to 100 nodes (physical devices) which means that I had to reset and then include again that number of z-wave devices. Of course I did it by the book. Yes I did buy book about z-wave. 

So after doing it all over again stability improved greatly, but some problems remained, like some devices drop dead, long lags in network, devices again disconnected. Thanks to @petergebruers and @cag014 scripts and recommendations, stability improved even more so only problem that was still preset was dead devices. Thanks to Fibaro release firmware 4.540 which finally reports problems with devices synchronization after I synchronized all of them (had around 60 not synced!) no more dead devices. Network is stable, working and no problems anymore. There are occasionally some small delays but they don't last long and are usually visible only in the evening when day changes to night when many scripts are triggered. That is also something that I will try to improve.

If you manage to read till this sentence then there is a big chance you will do the thing and have stable home automation. Enjoy it! :-) 

• Like 1