Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to improve signal range, really big house, 8 bedrooms

Carlos I. Macias

I got my first installation, it is a big house, i can not use the Zwave in all of the house ( distances are really big ), i need to know how can i provide Zwave signal to every Bedroom (8 Bedrooms ), right now i am planning to have 1 HC2 with 8 pcs of the Home Center light to give me Zwave coverage in each Bedroom, can that be accomplished or is it a better way?, thanks a lot for your help!

1) to buy any main powered devices. (for example, plug in each room wall plugs)

Please login or register to see this image.

2) buy z-wave repeater (for example aeotec range extender)

any main powered devices can be as a long-range Z-Wave repeater. 

please read this link 

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by 10der

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, but i can not have powered devices to communicate all of the 8 Bedrooms, there are no ac outlets between the bedrooms, the distance between each room is about 200 feet from each other, i don´t think that the Zwave mesh will work!.

47 minutes ago, Carlos I. Macias said:

there are no ac outlets between the bedrooms, t

I am sorry. it's not clear for me.

so you haven't any power plug in bedrooms where you can plug Fibaro plug? are you living in darkness? :) 

i don´t think that the Zwave mesh will work!.

about mesh, I am strongly recommend read some posts from @petergebruers 

Edited by 10der

• Topic Author
  • I did not explain my self correctly, the HC2 is going to be in the Living room, the nearest bedroom is about 200 feet away, i can not have any Zwave device connected in the wall to link the Living room with the Bedroom, i don´t think hat the Zwave signal will be strong enough to cover from the Living room up to the Bedroom, that is why i am planning to have a Home Controller Light in each bedroom to assure that the Zwave will be strong enough to cover the Bedroom.

Sir. I have ~200 square meters house (sorry for metric, AFAIR it's ~2000 square foots) and all works properly.

HC2 "live" in "ground floor" but all devices in all rooms work properly. more than this - some devices work properly in a backyard! :)

yes, I have in each room FIBARO Wall plugs 

Please login or register to see this link.

also in my guest room (center of the house), I have Fibaro Dimmer2.

idk, but all works properly. (not to speak too soon)

• Topic Author
  • Ok, i was accustomed  to work with Zwave (first devices ) and the range of coverage was really poor, i guess the new Zwave+ makes a lot of difference, i will give it a try, thanks a lot for the Information, best regards.

Same here, even a lot bigger, the house is 512 square meters, there are 114 real (not virtual) z-wave devices connected and it all runs on 1 HC2 controller which is located near the kitchen.

The trick ? the power of mesh networking... I use quite a lot of fibaro switches and dimmers (not a lot of wall plugs) and they all function as repeaters... so, it can work.... just remeber rules of mesh networking.

Yes, I run an extension cord in the roof space to the furthest corner of my house and have a power plug plug into it. It doesn't do anything, but gives me reliable access down to the back yard shed ! :)

Cheers,

al.

Ive just done a 780 sq Meter house, had it  all working on single Hc2 until the cars got put in garage. I had to add a slave HCL  to get  the Garage working again just too many jumps out and too many tiled surfaces in between.

Two stories, air-rated concrete upstairs flooring and external cladding ,timber framed internal walls, 120 physical modules.

Hc2 central on the ground floor but right beside 16m high main entry stair well area..

If I did the same project again I would add one more Hcl. It would definitely speed up inclusion .

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• 1 month later...

I am using this antenna attached to HC2 - it helped to reach the sensors which were far away outside the house (wine cellar, property gate, etc).

Please login or register to see this image.

Edited by Ros

16 minutes ago, Tony270570 said:

hello @Ros, very interesting, do you have the reference of your antenna please?

Not really, it does not have a serial or manufacturer's name.

I've bought it online from some store in Poland. Just google z-wave antenna, look for picture results - many of those are links to online stores where it is being sold.

2 hours ago, Ros said:

Not really, it does not have a serial or manufacturer's name.

I've bought it online from some store in Poland. Just google z-wave antenna, look for picture results - many of those are links to online stores where it is being sold.

@Roscan I bought this antenna in "KarDacha rinok"? :)