Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Installing Fibaro Devices

Gareth Sheriff

Question

I have installed various devices already which I have successfully added to the HC2. However on one of the rooms I am unable to to get the device into learning mode, and on the other room learning mode starts but doesn’t add the device. After several minutes I need to press cancel and then every time you try again it states the HC2 is busy. 

Grateful for suggestions how to go about installing these two devices. 

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Hi! Inclusion problems can have different causes.

But first let's try something easy. I assume the devices are fairly recent and so are Z-Wave Plus? Then proceed.

First, read the manual, to find out if you have to click, 3-Click, or something else and with which button to do that. Without you telling me which brand and model you have, I cannot tell you what it is.

Then reboot your home center. After that, go to "Devices" "Add or remove" as before, but do not click on the "Add" button yet. Put a checkmark before the option "NWI - Network-Wide Inclusion". Then klick "Add". The countdown starts.

Please post the results.

• Inquirer
  • 13 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Hi! Inclusion problems can have different causes.

But first let's try something easy. I assume the devices are fairly recent and so are Z-Wave Plus? Then proceed.

First, read the manual, to find out if you have to click, 3-Click, or something else and with which button to do that. Without you telling me which brand and model you have, I cannot tell you what it is.

Then reboot your home center. After that, go to "Devices" "Add or remove" as before, but do not click on the "Add" button yet. Put a checkmark before the option "NWI - Network-Wide Inclusion". Then klick "Add". The countdown starts.

Please post the results.

Hi,

they are both fibaro models the double switch 2 and the fibaro dimmer 2. I rebooted the HC2 and I have checkmarked the option “NWI- Network wide inclusion”. I will try later to install the devices and I shall keep you posted on results.

Thank you very much. 

Regards

Gareth

Good luck! Don't forget to check that NWI option each time you try to add a device, it reverts to "off" each time. What it does is it extends the possible range for inclusion from "several meters (I'd say up to 10 meters in a "typical house") to "the whole coverage of the network". But it does not always work because it depends on a few external factors. It uses the so called "mesh network" of Z-Wave so it depends on the mains powered devices in your network (which type they are and how they are spread out around your controller).

Here you can see why Sensor C might struggle to get a "direct connection" needed for inclusion (wall and car == obstacles). But it can use plug A and B to route around the objects.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • 21 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Good luck! Don't forget to check that NWI option each time you try to add a device, it reverts to "off" each time. What it does is it extends the possible range for inclusion from "several meters (I'd say up to 10 meters in a "typical house") to "the whole coverage of the network". But it does not always work because it depends on a few external factors. It uses the so called "mesh network" of Z-Wave so it depends on the mains powered devices in your network (which type they are and how they are spread out around your controller).

Here you can see why Sensor C might struggle to get a "direct connection" needed for inclusion (wall and car == obstacles). But it can use plug A and B to route around the objects.

Many thanks, good to know you need to checkmark NWI every time. I have a fibaro dimmer 2 installed in a room which is literally a meter away from the other two rooms I need to install. I believe that should assist with the communication. My house is a two storey flat with the home center in the bottom floor. The two rooms I am trying to install are in the top floor. I have already managed to install a dimmer 2 and a double switch 2 on the top floor. All the internal walls are plasterboard. I shall give it another try later with the NWI function and try again if with 3 clicks of the b-button I can get it into inclusion mode and installed on the network. 

Thanks

gareth

• Inquirer
  • 7 hours ago, Gareth Sheriff said:

Many thanks, good to know you need to checkmark NWI every time. I have a fibaro dimmer 2 installed in a room which is literally a meter away from the other two rooms I need to install. I believe that should assist with the communication. My house is a two storey flat with the home center in the bottom floor. The two rooms I am trying to install are in the top floor. I have already managed to install a dimmer 2 and a double switch 2 on the top floor. All the internal walls are plasterboard. I shall give it another try later with the NWI function and try again if with 3 clicks of the b-button I can get it into inclusion mode and installed on the network. 

Thanks

gareth

Hi,

i have tried installing the dimmer 2 with the NWI box ticked but still it doesn’t seem to respond. I got the green light on the dimmer 2 but when you try to add it to the network the 30 seconds elapse and I can’t get it into learning mode despite 3 quick clicks of the b-button several times. I have tried a few times to install it but without success. 

If there is anything else I could try please let me know. 

Regards

Gareth 

16 hours ago, Gareth Sheriff said:

Hi,

i have tried installing the dimmer 2 with the NWI box ticked but still it doesn’t seem to respond. I got the green light on the dimmer 2 but when you try to add it to the network the 30 seconds elapse and I can’t get it into learning mode despite 3 quick clicks of the b-button several times. I have tried a few times to install it but without success. 

If there is anything else I could try please let me know. 

Regards

Gareth 

Have you tried excluding the dimmer before including it? 

20 minutes ago, Robert Folbigg said:

Have you tried excluding the dimmer before including it? 

Good point and I agree that should be tried.

But first check if you have a toggle switch connected to S1. The switch is in parallel with the B-Button so it might interfere. So either disconnect the S1 input or try to toggle the switch.

Regarding exclusion. Any controller can exclude any device at any time. 

• Let us try to exclude the malfunctioning dimmer first and if that fails, try another device.
    • Go to the Browser User Interface, then "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete". The delete window pops up and the counter starts counting down from 30.
    • The Dimmer 2 manual says: "Quickly, three times press switch no. 1 or the B-button. ". This assumes the switch on S1 is a momentary (push) switch, not a toggle (latching) switch. Different devices use different number of clicks, please always check the manual when in doubt.
    • About one second after clicking the device button, the timer should stop and the controller should say: "deleted" in the status window.
    • If the counting does not stop, repeat the clicking.
    • If you cannot make the counting stop, something is wrong. If the counting stops and the status window says "deleted" you can now try to include the device again.
    • If anything fails, try a reboot of the HC.

If the countdown does not stop and instead keeps counting down to zero, you have a *really odd* problem. My guess is, only a difference in frequency or a defective receiver/transmitter could explain this behavior...

But to make sure it is not your homecenter, I would try to exclude and include another device. This is an annoying test, because the device will get different IDs so you'll have to fix your scenes.

Take any device. Included, not included or from a foreign network, reset to factory default or not reset at all is of no importance. You are going to try to exclude it, so ideally it is a device which you do not use right now. If you use the device on your homecenter, you can try this too but the device will be deleted from your controller. This might make you very unhappy if you did not prepare for this...

Good luck!

• Inquirer
  • 18 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Good point and I agree that should be tried.

But first check if you have a toggle switch connected to S1. The switch is in parallel with the B-Button so it might interfere. So either disconnect the S1 input or try to toggle the switch.

Regarding exclusion. Any controller can exclude any device at any time. 

• Let us try to exclude the malfunctioning dimmer first and if that fails, try another device.
    • Go to the Browser User Interface, then "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete". The delete window pops up and the counter starts counting down from 30.
    • The Dimmer 2 manual says: "Quickly, three times press switch no. 1 or the B-button. ". This assumes the switch on S1 is a momentary (push) switch, not a toggle (latching) switch. Different devices use different number of clicks, please always check the manual when in doubt.
    • About one second after clicking the device button, the timer should stop and the controller should say: "deleted" in the status window.
    • If the counting does not stop, repeat the clicking.
    • If you cannot make the counting stop, something is wrong. If the counting stops and the status window says "deleted" you can now try to include the device again.
    • If anything fails, try a reboot of the HC.

If the countdown does not stop and instead keeps counting down to zero, you have a *really odd* problem. My guess is, only a difference in frequency or a defective receiver/transmitter could explain this behavior...

But to make sure it is not your homecenter, I would try to exclude and include another device. This is an annoying test, because the device will get different IDs so you'll have to fix your scenes.

Take any device. Included, not included or from a foreign network, reset to factory default or not reset at all is of no importance. You are going to try to exclude it, so ideally it is a device which you do not use right now. If you use the device on your homecenter, you can try this too but the device will be deleted from your controller. This might make you very unhappy if you did not prepare for this...

Good luck!

Hi,

I am a bit lost here, how can I exclude the dimmer if it has never been installed yet. The dimmer has never been incorporated to the home center because I can’t  get it into the learning mode. 

Regards

gareth

10 minutes ago, Gareth Sheriff said:

Hi,

I am a bit lost here, how can I exclude the dimmer if it has never been installed yet. The dimmer has never been incorporated to the home center because I can’t  get it into the learning mode. 

Regards

gareth

I know it seems crazy however for reasons unknown sometimes devices need to be first excluded. I suspect the device somehow partially adds during the failed attempts and consecutive attempts to add fail as the result, Just give it a try.

I have resolved this same issue many times by doing this.

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, Robert Folbigg said:

I know it seems crazy however for reasons unknown sometimes devices need to be first excluded. I suspect the device somehow partially adds during the failed attempts and consecutive attempts to add fail as the result, Just give it a try.

I have resolved this same issue many times by doing this.

Thanks, 

I shall try the above later. 

11 minutes ago, Gareth Sheriff said:

I understand your confusion, but that is really how Z-Wave works! I am not making this up! It is not "maybe try this" it is more like "PLEASE try this because I am 100% sure this should work!"

Let me try to explain why this makes sense.

Imagine, I want to sell you one of my Fibaro relays. Suppose I forget to exclude it and I send it to you. You might think: I have to send it back, because Peter has to exclude it first. But that is not the case!

As I've said: "Any controller" can exclude "any device" at "any time". You can trust me, I know what I am talking about. Included, not included, straight  unused from the box or old, or from a foreign network, reset to factory default or not reset at all is of no importance! Just try to exclude it. The countdown has to stop. If that does not work, I know we have a *very weird* issue.

Following this advice has a bonus: it also performs a "factory reset"

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I understand your confusion, but that is really how Z-Wave works! I am not making this up! It is not "maybe try this" it is more like "PLEASE try this because I am 100% sure this should work!"

Let me try to explain why this makes sense.

Imagine, I want to sell you one of my Fibaro relays. Suppose I forget to exclude it and I send it to you. You might think: I have to send it back, because Peter has to exclude it first. But that is not the case!

As I've said: "Any controller" can exclude "any device" at "any time". You can trust me, I know what I am talking about. Included, not included, straight  unused from the box or old, or from a foreign network, reset to factory default or not reset at all is of no importance! Just try to exclude it. The countdown has to stop. If that does not work, I know we have a *very weird* issue.

Following this advice has a bonus: it also performs a "factory reset"

Thanks, will do

• Inquirer
  • 7 hours ago, Gareth Sheriff said:

Thanks, will do

Hi Peter,

I tried all the above and I have been unable to get it to work with the delete function or the add function. The 30 seconds would elapse without anything happening. 

However, I have carried out an experiment as per the attached picture in the same room the controller is and I managed to get it into learning mode straight away. I programmed it and selected the room I wanted to install it in, then I disconnected everything once configured  and installed it in that room and is working perfectly. I have now installed both modules that I was having trouble with using the same technique. 

It appears I have a problem with the range to the controller during setting up, but not anymore once it has been installed. 

Regards

Gareth