Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

API

derelict

Question

Being a so called "power user"... i'm eagerly waiting for the API functions/hooks.

I've seen that there was some talk about the future "features" of the API in the polish forum.

Could someone maybe put some light into this topic ? what kind of API will be added in a first version ?

for me.... simple http requests TO HC2 for triggering scenes and http request FROM HC2 to a third party application (webserver) would be sufficient in the beginning!

Marcel

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Guest Fidziu

We are trying to relase first part of API before CEBIT.

But im not sure that this polibilities will be ready on that. Ist hard to say about it right now. We are trying to optimize a lot of functions to be realy realy fast.

The thing about http request is that we have quite complex user permissions in HC2 and we have to take it into account.

But all You wrote should be ready no later than a 3-4weeks.

Guest ericf

Hi,

some last days i have read some French/English speaking forum about domotic and the HC2. Some of these peoples (shops, ...) have tested the HC2 and like:

- the look

- the great interface

- easy of use

but lot of them are frustrated about the 'close' of the box/features. What a lot of people like about other box is the possibility to add/extend the feature by scripting, add module, ...

Fibaro should take care about this because a lot of people implementing domotic at home, are people that like to touch/play with technology and will go for a box that allow them to 'growth' . Ok the market of dummy user is also important and a box that works plug-and-play is very useful for them but don't forget that the knowledge/start/experience of a box are generally done by techies.

regards,

Eric

• Inquirer
  • I definitely second that!

Hopefully there will be some kind of "Expert Mode" in the future.

I'm a "techie" also...

So i have:

- Squeezeboxes in all bathrooms

- An xbmc/dvbviewer/webbrowser mini pc connected to each TV Screen

- Everything NON ZWAVE related is automated using eventghost and udp broadcast (in the whole house)

Without an API (at the moment) i have to depend on homeseer as a secondary controller in order to fill the gap between HC2 and Eventghost for instance.

Marcel

Guest kstaniek

Hi Marcel,

you may have check this out.

Please login or register to see this link.

I haven't got any feedback if this works for other users. I've done some reverse engineering and it works for my setup. Not sure if there aren't any device/home network specific codes that I potentially missed.

Cheers,

Klaudiusz

• Inquirer
  • hehehe.... awesome !!

I was thinking of going that route (fibaroserver) myself... but didn't had the time to reverse engineer the fibaroserver

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> (allthough i've seen that fibaroserver is running in a screen session and that i shows/logs some usefull information

/emoticons/default_icon_cool.gif" alt="8-)" />

/emoticons/default_icon_cool.gif" alt="8-)" /> )

how did you find out the commands fibaroserver accepts ?

i'll definitely give your api a try until fibaro is up to the task

/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:" />

Marcel

• Inquirer
  • did you install tcpdump ?

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Guest kstaniek

You can check with 'netstat -ap' that FibaroServer sits on port 4420. Then I just installed tcpflow and captured all the activity on that port playing with GUI. Unfortunately this port seems to be used only for the communication between php scripts and FibaroServer. I haven't seen any messages coming back from modules however the basic things like on/off the module can be done. I use it to control in a comprehensive way to control TV set through iTacho and lights via HC2 from one single application (iRule) running on iPad and iPhone. You can even run scenes through ssh - you need to exec 'php -e /var/www/fibaro/advanced_scene_run.php '

IRule is much more advanced and flexible application comparing to what we have officially from Fibaro. I can't wait for the API to make my iRule integration even better.

Guest kstaniek

tcpflow is better choice - just apt-get install tcpflow - no issues

Guest kstaniek

BTW: I feel in my guts that FibaroSniffer process maybe the key but no clue how to utilize it.

• Inquirer
  • hehe another irule user !!! glad to meet you !! i can't wait for the "official api" myself !

i do automated xbmc, dvbviewer, eventghost and irule myself !

i also need to tell fibaro, that i'm watching a movie on xbmc... in order to shut the lights off in the mediaroom

your script works nice by the way.... heck.... the light is event turned on faster than using the HC2 webinterface !!

i already knew about the advanced_scene php script

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

have you seen, that there is a screen session with a lot of information what's going on ?

maybe we could use that to get feedback from fibaro (for be, that would meen i get events in eventghost

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> )

try:

# screen -list

There are screens on:

19967.FibaroServer (03/02/2012 10:52:36 PM) (Detached)

and then:

screen -r 19967.FibaroServer

exit with ctrl a h

(just in case you haven't found out yourself about the screen session)

Marcel

• Inquirer
  • hehe... you seem to think the same way as i do

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> .... i fiddled with fibarosniffer too, for the same goal.

quite nice... that the underlying distribution is debian squeeze

Guest kstaniek

Yes I've seen that and the messages are quite readable but the question is if it's worth spending more time on reverse engineering or rather wait for the official API release. So far I'm happy with API I've already done but obviously would like more.

With screen you need to run something on the HC2 itself. Using 4420 port you can have the php script on the remote server. I run it on my D2PLUG which I also use as MPD controlled by another php class and obviously iRule.

Guest kstaniek

BTW: I'm also thinking about something squeezebox-like in bathroom but rather looking for cheap hw platform to run mpd on it. Again there is great iPhone/iPad application to controll MPD.

• Inquirer
  • Yes... you're right.... i've solved my "api" problem by using an evaluation version of homeseer... and having homeseer being a secondary controller (don't ask me how i got homeseer "paired" with HC2... i somehow got it working).

If the official API is not "ready" enough... i'll investigate further "options"

• Inquirer
  • BTW: I'm also thinking about something squeezebox-like in bathroom but rather looking for cheap hw platform to run mpd on it. Again there is great iPhone/iPad application to controll MPD.

well... for me... the squeezebox radio is/was quite cheep... and i don't have to fiddle arround with linux and hardware (although it wouldn't be much of a trouble

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> )....

i have another... more important factor... and that is "wife usability" .... if you know what i'm talking about

and i can control the squeezebox from eventghost (python) which is my "house automation and communication backbone"

Guest kstaniek

Maybe you right. What I have noticed is that not all of my family members are geeks

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> and sometime is better to have the commercial solution deployed rather then home-made linux-based permanently under development scripts. However I run my home on Apple and Linux platform. I use Windows on only in VM in rare cases as needed. As I can see eventghost works on Win, doesn't ?

• Inquirer
  • cool... no i've hijacked and gone off topic on my own thread

for me it's like: i'm a geek.... my wife's NOT

no guess my arguments for buying new hardware

life is easier... if the wife can handle all the stuff deployed in the house!

yes... eventghost is windows only. I had that discussion with other peoples too.... i'm into both "worlds".... i do windows and linux (maybe i have a little bit more knowhow on linux).

But for HTPC's (remember the wife ?

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> )... windows is easier to handle and to get working.

I currently have two "servers" (windows 7.... with some linux guests running on vmware).

Those servers are the "master" eventghost servers broadcasting events on the network through udp as needed. on these servers... i also have dvbviewer recording service in order to centrally record and broadcast DVB-C throughout the house. besides of that... they store the music and movies and do other stuff like handling the webcams in the house, updating the xbmc library and so on....

at the "client" side... i have zotac ad02 mini pc's (windows 7 x64).. running xbmc, dvbviewer "client" all nicely managed by the "automation" of eventghost... so i can do things like:

- control xbmc, dvbviewer through irule (also using udp broadcasts to eventghost)

- have notifications pop up on screen if someone calls (and also mute/pause video)

- controll all 3 mediapc's using the same PS3 Bluetooth remote control and/or irule

- and some other nice stuff

there are people arguing against windows for this kind of deployment.... but for me in the end... it was easier and more manageable by using windows as the OS.

i mean... i would like to USE that stuff and have some very cool features... instead of playing with hardware, linux, kernel re-compilations, console screens and so on... ... i think you know what i'm talking about

just an example... do you know anything on linux that allows you manage program events and actions on multiple pc's on a network without developing something yourself ?

Marcel

Guest kstaniek

Well, you convinced me to squeezebox radio, indeed is not so expensive taking into consideration that you don't need any external speakers and it's small, compact and wifi'able. I guess you need the streamer somewhere, right? or you can directly mount smb share? Anyway I can stream directly from my NAS.

I use D2PLUG for two things: MPD (it has SPDIF to HT) + gateway in case I need to translate any HTTP get to something else. I haven't got xbmc and I stream DLNA directly to TV-set from my NAS.

For me the power consumption aspect was the most important:

D2PLUG = 19W

NAS = 14W

iTach = no clue, it's USB powered from D2

HC2 = NO CLUE but again not too much

I like the idea of your Win servers and so on, that's really impressive, but how much do you pay for electricity my friend?

OMG, you live in Switzerland - you sit on money

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> ;-)