Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

API

derelict

Question

Being a so called "power user"... i'm eagerly waiting for the API functions/hooks.

I've seen that there was some talk about the future "features" of the API in the polish forum.

Could someone maybe put some light into this topic ? what kind of API will be added in a first version ?

for me.... simple http requests TO HC2 for triggering scenes and http request FROM HC2 to a third party application (webserver) would be sufficient in the beginning!

Marcel

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Guest kstaniek

and don't worry about off topic discussion. We've been waiting for long time for API and with off topic discussion on Polish forum we're just killing the time.

I'm happy I've found someone with similar geek-like level of knowledge here on this forum. I'm guessing we'll have a lot of exciting discussion many times here

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

• Inquirer
  • all squeezebox devices (and you can get a software only client for windows and linux i guess for free) connect to the squeezebox media server (runs on almost all platforms). There you can access/mount almost everything.

I'm not sure, if you can mount smb shares directly from the box.... but the central media server offers better "features" anyway... like an api

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Power consumption is not my major concern .... my focus during the design phase for my home entertainment "system" was more like:

- one single box doing all that's needed per tv/screen (and still have enough computing resources for what ever comes in the future)

- all tv's have the same user experience (wife), no matter what brand of tv/screen you have... so in my case... and TV is just a big PC Screen basically... everything else is done on the mini PC

- all components have to have a way to communicate with each other (eventghost with a udp broadcast (because of speed) "message bus" )

I don't know and care about how much i pay for electricity

/emoticons/default_icon_cool.gif" alt="8-)" /> for me it's more important to have a WOW effect (xbmc for instance

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> ) and to be flexible.

hehe... yes... i know ... everbody thinks we sit on the money... but we also have to spend more money

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Yes... you're right... i'm quite sure, that we'll have a lot of interesting discussions. You seem to have the same mindset like i do

Guest KubaW

Hey guys,

Have you tried new virtual devices from HC2 with EventGhost?

Guest KubaW

I cannot configure the Network Event Receiver to receive strings from HC2...

• Inquirer
  • yes and no.... i've made a quick tcp listener written in python for eventghost for testing.... i currently get events generated from the virtual device.. however... for some reason the virtual device does not work nicely... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Please be aware... the Network Event Receiver WILL NOT work... as it's design is different from the approach fibaro is making with the virtual device !.... but i haven't verified it completely yet.

however... my quick and dirty tcp listener for eventghost seems to work (tested with telnet sessions).... however... the virtual device itself seems to be a little "buggy" !

• Inquirer
  • It's not the virtual device to blame.... basically....

But the virtual device seems like it needs to have the tcp session closed after every transaction.... if you don't close the session at the server side (eventghost).... then the whole webinterface hangs... and you have to restart the apache service on HC2.

therefore... i've modified the eventghost event receiver a bit.... and this is the result so far.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest KubaW

Time to learn python then - there are no "official" plugins for such tcp communication

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyway, we still cannot use virtual devices in scenes, or even in client app...

• Inquirer
  • Yes.... as long as virtual devices can't be used in scenes.... the whole story is quite "useless" until then

I wonder if there'll be a way to send commands TO hc2 in the near future.

• Inquirer
  • no need to learn python ! There's even an easier way to do it using the eventghost webserver plugin and the information in this thread:

Please login or register to see this link.

Virtual devices are really simple at the moment. It is just the beginning

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That is why their functionality is not visible in scene engine.

Please read my answer in this thread:

Please login or register to see this link.

I revealed some information about our future plans.

Guest KubaW

Ok, I've used some money instead of brains and just bought a globalcache rs232 unit. Working perfectly. All I need now is an ability to put virtual device in a scene.

Hello,

I can switch light and control dimmer with xbmc, when i paused films/series the lights turn on and when i play the lights turn off.

I actually write a event ghost plugin for control home center 2 api.

It is very easy

Bye...

How would you create a HC2 scene with an event that starts a pre-defined video on a computer using EventGhost and their web server plugin?

Guest kstaniek

Bayackee, would you mind unveiling some more details about your API?

If you are using port 4420 then I must get you down. That won't be available anymore.

Guest Fidziu

if all the signs in heaven and earth are within acceptable levels, it should be available tomorrow:)

The new api is available

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />