Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

WIFI ...

Guest ericf

Guest ericf

hi,

why not to add WIFI feature on the box. It has 2 USB connector (1 used for the DR) so the other could be used with an add-on WIFI USB adapter.

Eric

Guest kstaniek
  • Topic Author
  • In my opinion there is no need to have wireless interface in HC2. There are two possible scenarios. One is to have HC2 acting as Wireless Access Point (WAP), the second one is to connect HC2 to the home IP network through a wireless interface instead of wired ethernet cable.

For the first option, usually WiFi router comes from internet service provider or users already have their own installed with wide range networking options like parental control/access limiting/NAT/port forwarding/etc. This makes the dedicated WAP much more suitable for that purpose than potential side functionality implemented in HC2.

For the second option, based on my network engineering experience, I personally prefer connection of all the important devices with wired ehternet interface and restricting the wireless usage to mobile devices only i.e. laptops, tables, phones. The wired devices in my house include NAS, TVSets, streamers, etc and HC2. This kind of design makes the entire home network much more reliable, stable and predictable.

Of course I can imagine the situation that you can't provide the wire cable to the HC2 but anyway you have to provide the power cable. So maybe it's worth considering to spend some additional efforts and provide the ethernet cable, too. With some small modification I'm pretty sure that HC2 will work with Wifi dongle if you really need it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't have ethernet cabling to a switch or router another option, which I use, is the ethernet over powerline adapters. A pair cost IRO £35 these days for 200mbps.

Please login or register to see this link.