Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Correct setup for z-wave controlled thermostat heating

budda

Question

If the boiler is controlled with a z-wave actuator and the individual radiators have their own thermostats on which close when a specified temperature is reached -- is there any need for a thermostat temperature reader in a room?

I've upgraded my traditional central heating system which has a thermostat in the hallway to shut off the boiler when a selected temperature is reached -- but that's the temperature in the hallway which i don't care so much about.

What if my office (no where near the hallway) is freezing cold at night and i want that radiator to continue being hot?

Is there a need for this thermostat in the hallway anymore?

2 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Nobody (so far) seems to be able to answer this question where ever i have asked... even a traditional plumber!

If the boiler is controlled with a z-wave actuator and the individual radiators have their own thermostats on which close when a specified temperature is reached -- is there any need for a thermostat temperature reader in a room?

I've upgraded my traditional central heating system which has a thermostat in the hallway to shut off the boiler when a selected temperature is reached -- but that's the temperature in the hallway which i don't care so much about.

What if my office (no where near the hallway) is freezing cold at night and i want that radiator to continue being hot?

Is there a need for this thermostat in the hallway anymore?

First, the disclaimer..

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> I'm not a plumber, but, I've embarked on building out almost everything in my house, including the plumbing and heating. Presumably, the thermostats on the radiators are just valve controllers and do not control any form of 'demand-for-heat' signal. I would think that the thermostat in the hallway (as is traditionally the case), is the only device that provides a demand-for-heat signal. So, unless the hallway falls below the specified threshhold, the boiler will not fire up and will not pump hot water round the radiators.

It's not clear what you're looking for, but I think it's probably a per room temperature monitor whereby any room can make a demand-for-heat (signal). Given you have radiators, I think it's going to have to be a solution that includes something like a

Please login or register to see this link.

not that I've ever seen or used one.

Happy to give you my thoughts..

Cheers, Dave