Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Weather forecast - Virtual device

Guest ygh

Question

Guest ygh

Hi,

I would like to take advantage of the weather forecast source in HC2 or directly from an internet provider and use it within a scenario. I guess this may be done through a virtual device.

Any recommendation/suggestion on how to start, please

Thanks

YGH

10 answers to this question

Hi Ygh,

it's a bit complicated yet because HC2 didn't have DNS resolution under is virtual device. (or perhaps it's just the IP field who don't have enought caracter to store a complet domaine adress).

see the post who talk about this issue :

Please login or register to see this link.

Guest ygh
  • Inquirer
  • Thanks - Yes I saw that post.

Well, since the weather forecast feed is already present in the HC2, there may be some way to use it !

YGH

yes, you can add a weather condition in your scene who is using internal weather feed.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest ygh
  • Inquirer
  • Excellent - Thanks for the hint.

I will try this week-end !

YGH

Where do i specify my location? I have tried to to enter Longitude and latitude (xx.yy) of my city under the configuration. Also tried to enter the name under city but i always have 16 degrees and 23 m/s windspeed. I live in a small town in sweden so i don't think yahoo knows it

Are you sure you have inserted the right coordinates? Have you tried using a larger town, actually available at Yahoo weather?

Yes i have tried Luleå (50km) from here, that town is available on Yahoo.

Today i set the cordinates to exactly what it says in the localisation panel /Boden) and town to just "Lulea" and now it seems quite ok exept for the windspeed that is ~1km/h less on yahoo.com (thats not a problem

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> )

Now I will just wait and see if the sunrise/sundown and weatherforecast is working. Yeasterday sunris/sundown didn´t work but it has worked with this setting before upgrade to v3.341

storskogen, after upgrade to 3.341 check again setting and save it again

@storskogen

I've been looking at the Yahoo API that Fibaro use, and specifically, the SQL statement to search for the Town against the Yahoo database. I think there may be a problem with Yahoo because it does know about Boden, but not if you search for "Boden". As an experiment, could you set your City to "b.den" (yes, replace the "o" with a dot), and just let me know if it improves anything.

My theory is.. is that Fibaro does a SQL select against the Yahoo database searching any text for the string you have stored in "City". eg,

Please login or register to see this code.

Then I suspect they try and match the coordinates against all the entries that are returned, looking for the correct entry. It's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and there are easier and more accurate ways, but for now....