Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Parser XML

Guest Martial25

Question

Guest Martial25

Hy,

Would be possible with a virtual peripheral or other parsing an XML file.

To retrieve a value (energy power, CO2), and then use them in the scenes. Display graphics, etc. ..

Thank's

Regards

7 answers to this question

You would probably have to run a different server with a http post request application which parses the xml and which can send just that value to the HC2 virtual device

which can send just that value to the HC2 virtual device

I think that's the crux of the problem... just how do you send that? The virtual device mechanism allows for all manner of packets to be generated, but it would only take a HTTP GET to return an XML payload. The challenge then becomes.. what schema. There would be a different schema from every manufacturer, and then what schema would the HC2 expect? Virtual devices are currently "write only" devices, eg switch the light on, set the temperature, etc, there's no response mechanism. But supposing for a minute it could interpret an XML response, I'd propose having a field in the virtual device config that denotes the node in the schema ("device/status/temperature") of where to look for the temperature, I'd propose that a virtual device take on a 'category' of device, eg thermostat, light, etc.

I've thought about this a lot (and have intermediary gateways) and I don't really see Virtual Devices going much further. I think the answer to the problem is that the device management/support needs to be extensible through a programmatic facility. Until then, I have 12 thermostats I can't integrate with HC2

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" />

Agree with davedotnet. It would become quite heavyweight to implement an XPath solution which worked universally. Although 3rd party solutions could be used in principle by HC2, each have their own slight quirks on notation, when handling namespaces etc.

I would imagine the Fibaro dev team would be inundated with support issues if it was put in place.

Sorry I was responding to quickly

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Davedotnet is correct

Guest Martial25
  • Inquirer
  • Yes. Others BOX (EEdomus, Zibase, Vera, etc ..) may have a sensor (it is a particular type of device) that allows you to query an XML file (ex.: a webpage and examine the XML parser to read the value)

weather station Netatmo has an API that can be used for example to retrieve information from the weather station on his home automation system.

I realized a few very simple script that connects to their account and retrieve measurements Netatmo weather station into a xml file. This information will then be recovered by any system able to read an xml file, such as box eedomus the Zibase, or Vera (via a Lua script).

Please login or register to see this link.

1+ Martial25

Many of us have asked Fibaro this feature...

see:

perhaps hope here

:->

Guest Martial25
  • Inquirer
  • Krikroff, Exact Krikroff.

Sorry for the duplicate post

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope that this opportunity will be in the HC2.

It would make them interoperable