Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Battery operated alarm?

RiccardoCanetta

Question

Hi all,

I have set up an alarm system using Fibaro Door/Windows sensors (battery powered) and Everspring Siren (also battery powered). Since the main power switch of my house is outside the building and easily accessible, is there a way that the sensors when breached could trigger the siren even if HC2 is off?

Currently the siren is activated by a scene that says:

sensor1 armed and breached or sensor2 armed and breached then Siren == on

Thanks!

Riccardo

6 answers to this question

I've just taken a look at the documentation for this device and it states it has three (3) association Group IDs:

Group I is assigned to input IN1 (and the magnetic sensor). Sending BASIC SET or ALARM command frames.

Group II is assigned to TMP button. Once the button is released, ALARM GENERIC frame is sent to associated devices.

Group III reports on the condition of the device, only one device may be assigned to the group (main controller, by default). The Fibaro Door/Window Sensor allows for control over 5 regular devices and 5 multichannel devices per group, out of which 1 field is reserved for the network controller.

I would add the node ID of your Alarm to the Group I association list (it should already be set to 1 (the HC2)).

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

I tried - now under sensor GroupID 1 I see "1,18" where 18 is the id of my siren (I also tried to add siren to GroupID 2, so that Group2 would have only id 18). Then I armed the sensor, powered off the HC2 and opened thedoor, but in none of the cases the siren would go on...

Anyidea of what am I missing?

Thanks

R

When you used "Set up" to set the associations, were they confirmed in the "View" window? Battery operated devices only wakeup periodically to take ZWave commands. The View window would confirm that the device had woken up and set the association. Don't run the test until the View window confirms those settings. Until that time, the HC2 will queue the association requests so don't switch it off either. Sometimes, you can manually wake up the devices so they take ZWave configuration commands immediately.

If it had successfully taken the Association command/setting, then I don't know why it wouldn't have caused the alarm to go off in your test.

• Inquirer
  • Hi

Thanks again. I tried associating siren to sensor so that also in View field I could read "1, 18". Then I armed sensor and removed power from HC2. Then opened the door with sensor, but nothing happened...

Any other hint?

Thanks

Riccardo

There should be no need to switch the HC2 off. Perhaps when you know it all works. If you have written any scenes then the HC2 won't get involved in the triggering. In fact, the log (History Panel) may help diagnose what is or isn't triggering.

I've just been reading the manual for the Siren. You don't say what model it is so I'm presuming it's the SE812:

Please login or register to see this link.

For some obscure reason, it does not respond to ZWave 'ALARM' calls, but will respond to BASIC SET. If you haven't done so, see if you can switch the Siren on and off with the HC2. At least this will validate that the siren is responding to ZWave commands.

I also note that the door sensor, Parameter 5, determines what type of ZWave command is sent. The default is 255 which is to send the BASIC SET, which is what you want, but worth checking.

The very last thing is that the Siren supports FLiRS. Because it's a battery device, it can't be listening all the time, so it's implemented FLiRS. Any node (including the controller) must support FLiRS in order to wake it up. The Siren documentation says:

Note: To execute the command of BASIC_SET/SWITCH_BINARY_SET, BASIC_GET/BINARY_SWITCH_GET and BATTERY_GET, the nodes in the network must support the function of Z-Wave Wake Up Beam in order to wake the Siren up from sleep status.

There's no suggestion that the Fibaro door sensor supports this, although the new Beta of the HC2 does support this (presumably you have it enabled to switch the Siren on and off).

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

I was finally able to do more tests on firing the siren when HC2 is off. The Fibaro door/window sensor (FGK101 version 2.1) has values "1,13" for GroupId 1 (both as Set and View), where 13 is the node-id (not the device id) of the siren. But when sensor is breached, Siren doesn't start.

I tried changing Parameter 5 to ALARM_GENERIC instead of BASIC_SET, but no luck - the Siren only sounds with a Scene that triggers it when sensor is armed and breached, but this requires HC2 to be up and running.

The door/window sensor's instructions, explicitly mentions the possibility to send an alarm when HC2 is unavailable - so any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot

Riccardo