Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro FGS221 light flickering

woodchild

Question

Hi,

I am owning several Fibaro FGS221 relay switch, and one of it is having problem that it keeps flickering on and off with the sound "tik" continuously.

I get a electric consultant to inspect and he claim that the device is overheated(hot but touch able) and cause of the flicker, due to too high amp to it, and putting blame on the Fibaro device. but i wonder how could it be as the voltage is constant of 230V, and i am connecting to each point of around 300watts of load (led lights)

can any one please share some knowledge on this?

thanks

rgd,

Ben

17 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Have you tried resetting the module?

this is actually the second Fibaro switch. the first one have same problem and one of the relay damaged.

i change with second one and still the problem happen.

Strange, maybe there is something wrong with the elecrical connections with the LED lights.. It is hard to believe that two relays have same problem. Did it happen instantly or did the lights worked OK for some time?

• Inquirer
  • Strange, maybe there is something wrong with the elecrical connections with the LED lights.. It is hard to believe that two relays have same problem. Did it happen instantly or did the lights worked OK for some time?

it happen after some time. the first one (damaged) initially have some flickering for few moment, and since then working fine for 3 months, and then it went dead.

the second happen 1 week after changed.

so now i want to know if FGS221 itself problem, or is actually the wiring/electric problem?

because my electric consultant tested and claim everything working fine from the electric point of view, but then it does not make sense because I am sure the load are not high. but indeed the devices is creating some amount of heat. is this normal?

and the flickering on/off, is this a indication or protective features for FGS221? or it means something else?

Yes, these modules are producing some kind of heat as they are connected. I have not had any problems at all with dimmers. What kind of LED-s are you using, is there some kind of power conventer 220V to 12V or smth?

If you take away fibaro relay - lights work fine with no problems?

• Inquirer
  • Yes, these modules are producing some kind of heat as they are connected. I have not had any problems at all with dimmers. What kind of LED-s are you using, is there some kind of power conventer 220V to 12V or smth?

If you take away fibaro relay - lights work fine with no problems?

yes, the LED light is with 230V to 12V convertor.

the lights work fine without the fibaro relay.

by the way my house is equip with 3 phase power. could this make any different?

I am sure it should not because my other point are working exactly fine.

Okay, this way I do not know what can cause such behaviour. It should be fine up to 8amper power.. Let's see what Fibaro thinks about this. The fastest way is to e-mail [email protected]

What did you do with your old relay? Did you ask about this from your local dealer or just bought a new one?

• Inquirer
  • Okay, this way I do not know what can cause such behaviour. It should be fine up to 8amper power.. Let's see what Fibaro thinks about this. The fastest way is to e-mail [email protected]

What did you do with your old relay? Did you ask about this from your local dealer or just bought a new one?

I have emailed then but yet to receive any respond.

I bought all the Fibaro online( it is not available in my country:Malaysia), some how the damage fibaro relay second point is still working, so i used it for my yard. claiming of warranty is not possible because shipping is more expensive then buying a new one.

• Inquirer
  • it may sound too over. but could it possible be the electromagnetic that cause this?

the reason why i say so is because i have massive of wiring behind that point where the fibaro relay locate.

I have the exact same problem with fibaro dimmer + dimmer bypass

Initially it worked fine but now when the light is off it flickers a bit (not all the time) which is very annoying

I might try to put a second bypass but as mentionned above if this is related to the dimmer themselves then it is a real problem

I have the exact same problem with fibaro dimmer + dimmer bypass

Initially it worked fine but now when the light is off it flickers a bit (not all the time) which is very annoying

I might try to put a second bypass but as mentionned above if this is related to the dimmer themselves then it is a real problem

As you know, dimmer works with phase wire and gets Neutral from the lamp. This means there is a little bit energy going through the lamp all the time and if you have very low W lamp installed LED or similar, it might glow. Actually I have dimmable LED and with bypass it still shines alittle bit.

You could try 2 or 3 bypasses to see if this works.

You are right, I have 3*5W LED GU10 bulbs (nxtgen bulbs)

given that a bypass cost £10, using 2 or 3 would be spending £20 to £30 on top of the price of a dimmer, this could become very costly

I would assume that for £10 the bypass would do its job pretty well (but it does not)

Is there not a different way to do this?

I am not sure (haven't tried this) but maybe if you add neutral wire to dimmer - it goes away?

Also there can be different reaction with different bulbs.. I have had few regular halogen 60w bulbs, which made some noise when turned off. I replaced the bulbs and noise is gone.

Hi,

I am owning several Fibaro FGS221 relay switch, and one of it is having problem that it keeps flickering on and off with the sound "tik" continuously.

I get a electric consultant to inspect and he claim that the device is overheated(hot but touch able) and cause of the flicker, due to too high amp to it, and putting blame on the Fibaro device. but i wonder how could it be as the voltage is constant of 230V, and i am connecting to each point of around 300watts of load (led lights)

thanks

rgd,

Ben

Hi Ben,

LED lights are very strange behaving lights. They put a huge amount of distortion on the energygrid. They also do not behave them selfs as halogenlights and other conventional lights. So you cannot say i have only 300 watts of power because there is a blindcurrent on it. You can only measure that current with a true RMS meter. I saw a lot of nasty things in the field because of LED bulbs. My advice to you: ask youre electrician to regroup the ledlights and switch them in groups. For dimmers: use only 10% of youre dimmingpower in LEDlights (i.e. Dimmer is max 500W than use not more than 50W in LED behind that dimmer i.e. 7x7W LED. )

When you keep this huge amount of LED's in one string behind one switch or dimmer, youre asking for trouble...this will also be the reason of youre damaged FGS-211. I had also some customers with this trouble..

Good luck with this,

Grtz Emiel

You are right, I have 3*5W LED GU10 bulbs (nxtgen bulbs)

given that a bypass cost £10, using 2 or 3 would be spending £20 to £30 on top of the price of a dimmer, this could become very costly

I would assume that for £10 the bypass would do its job pretty well (but it does not)

Is there not a different way to do this?

I think the Contact Suppressor from Maplins (UK) works in the same way as the Fibaro bypass at 1/4 of the price.

Please login or register to see this link.

I've not tried it yet, but a forum elsewhere just talking about flickering LED lights when off mentioned this solution.

Guest GG
    Hi,

thanks

rgd,

Ben

I had the same problem with two version 1.7 FGS221. When I switched only one channel on, everything worked fine. But if I switched on both channels, after a couple of minutes, the flickering began.

I hade these replaced by my supplyer. I got version 2.1 and everything works as expected now.

My thought was that it was some kind of heating problem as the flickering began after acouple of minutes when both relays were on.

Ulf

Guest sk8er000

i've got the same problem with 2 FGS221 v1.7..

I've got 3 FGS221 v1.7 and only one of them is fully working all the others FGS221 with v1.9 or 2.1 work