Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Philips Hue support?

Guest shapa

Question

Guest shapa

Hi

I think it could be very nice additional feature to provide Philips HUE support (widely popular "smart LED bulbs" from Philips, a lot of sales already)

It could be managed with http requests API.

The API is officially documented, very easy to use. Quite a lot of competing products (including MicasaVerde) are already able to manage HUE (via plugins or natively)

Even new Logitech remotes are able to manage those bulbs (!)

The API is available here:

Please login or register to see this link.

Thank you.

p.s. yes, we could create virtual http devices, but I really think that official support is important in that case.

I don't agree with you, to many smart tv to support. You can do what you want with virtual device.

Hi

I think it could be very nice additional feature to provide Philips HUE support (widely popular "smart LED bulbs" from Philips, a lot of sales already)

It could be managed with http requests API.

The API is officially documented, very easy to use. Quite a lot of competing products (including MicasaVerde) are already able to manage HUE (via plugins or natively)

Even new Logitech remotes are able to manage those bulbs (!)

The API is available here:

Thank you.

p.s. yes, we could create virtual http devices, but I really think that official support is important in that case.

+++++1000

Guest shapa
  • Inquirer
  • Shad - please read carefully before posting any dumb comments.

Philips HUE is NOT a TV, it is a very smart LED bulbs, they have no any competitor / analogues on market.

You can manage any colors, brightness, etc - from computer, iPhone, iPad, many smart-home controllers, Logitech remotes, etc. Virtually each major smart home controller is already supporting them.

Well, except Fibaro.

Millions are already sold.

Extremely popular product in the US, UK, EU and so on.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Sorry I was on xbmc forum before, so I thought it was TV with ambilight.

Guest shapa
  • Inquirer
  • You are right - it is "ambilight" but for everyone (whole house / appatments) with 100% open API.

Very cool stuff, trust me

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It its extremely pleasant to set "beach sunrise" mood at morning in a bathroom for example, or "cosmic rays" on some warm evening at living room, etc...

Thousands of colors / moods, each bulb could be managed independently.

Guest simryc
  • Inquirer
  • Isn't ZigBee product? If it is, than i think it can be integrated only with hue(zigbee?) bridge and via virtual device in fibaro

Guest shapa
  • Inquirer
  • It is ZigBee, but it doesn't matter.

Bridge must be used and official HTTP API is available.

Probably, you do not understand that it is extremely inconvenient to control them using virtual devices for HUE - bearing in mind color / brightness management.

Have a look at the API, a lot of staff.

Yes, you can create many virtual devices per each bulb manually, this is not integration but just a hack / workaround.

It should be some native interface, exactly like Satcom alarm, Helios IP doorphone and so on.

BTW, those products are extremely less popular than Philips HUE, which is very successful product.

Apple selling them in their offline and online shops, a lot of developers are already working to create new applications (there was 2013 Philips hue developers conference already).

The issue is that it is not possible to create any real plugins for Fibaro (API is very limited) and the only way to get full support is to ask developers.

Bearing in mind that API is open and very easy to use, it should be just a few days to create new panel.

[ Added: 2013-04-28, 23:48 ]

BTW, I could send one bridge and bulb to Fibaro in case it could be helpful, for free.

I prefer this

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Guest shapa
  • Inquirer
  • It is very funny, as WiFi is not designed for smart home systems.

Let's imagine 40 bulbs in a house (very common scenario).

In fact it is normally a lot more.

Most home WiFi routers will die only with ~15 devices... Also, WiFi speed is significantly degrading when a lot of devices are transmitting. And what about neighbours? Can you imagine a small area with thousands of WiFi transmitting devices?

Well, may be 802.15.4 will help (a lot?). We will see.

Anyway, Philips product in my opinion is far better, using zigbee secure (designed for smart-home applications) protocol and already available for 6 month. (LIFX will be shipped in September 2013. Ha-ha.)

Additionally, Philips is a manufacturer - they could produce their own bulbs.

But we will see - more products, more interesting.

Anyway, smart bulbs support must be presented in the HC2 - Philips. LIFX... Some common "panel".

Nice vídeo With led Strip

Hue Disco

XBMC and Philips Hue

Finally just ordered a kit of Philips hue bulbs

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Guest GrZeCh
  • Inquirer
  • IMHO this:

is FAR cheaper solution for having ambilight for your TV and it will have or maybe already have XBMC support. I'm backing this project and want to use it with my Raspberry Pi which will be supported too.

Sound 's good but, but if you check,it is for small screen yet. Just 10 plug for 3 led by plug. So only 30 led. So I don't think is working like that with 50" TV.

Guest GrZeCh
  • Inquirer
  • That's right but they allow to use multiple lightpacks. I'm planning to use only one because I want to use it for 46" TV. If you are interested when kickstart campaign will be over and I will get my hardware I can return to this topic and let you know how it works.

P.S. Keep in mind that lightpack does not use any passthrough hdmi functionality and must be runned in background on some HTPC/PC hardware connected to TV (I'm already using Raspberry Pi so it will be not a issue for me).

Yes please, give me a return when you receive it.

[ Added: 2013-06-06, 20:03 ]

Does someone found how the api is working???

I think you must create user for start.

Hi,

maybe we should wait for the release of this product ...

Scucciari,

I wam waiting for the new device for 4 month now^^

So I bought HUE for the moment and are waiting for device fibaro.

There are a bunch of PHP libraries out there for the HUE, I just created some virtual devices that called the API and it works just fine. Took about 20 minutes to sort out.

Can you show me one virtual device because I don't really understand the api

/emoticons/default_icon_neutral.gif" alt=":-|" />

And I have no time no understand how to use.