Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

-

Guest MitchellOnline

Question

Guest MitchellOnline

-

Edited by MitchellOnline

Guest Lode
  • Inquirer
  • Let's ask Fibaro to produce those valves.

Only then i will buy them, i've seen to much problems at my friends house with the Danfoss.

Where did you get all this information how Danfoss valve works with the charts?

Hi it's not mine, it come from the blog of my (very kind) fibaro dealer

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to associate a temperature sensor directly with the danfoss valve?

I've got my heating panel, rooms and linked devices setup properly which means my heater goes on when the temperature in a room drops below the a certain point. I've setup my temperature sensor to report the current temperature every 5 minutes or so. But the issue that I've got is that it takes way too long for a room to heat up. My suspicion is that the danfoss valve is making sure the temperature doesn't overshoot and thus keeps the valve at a minimum opening the last 0.5 degree or so. Which results in the fact that my heater keeps on burning for ages trying to heat up the room.

Ideally the danfoss would allow the temperature to overshoot and then slowly maintain the temperature.

BTW. I if set my danfoss setpoint to 28 degrees I hear it opening the valve right away. I'm on version 2.51

Set the radiator size in the Danfoss to "to small for the room". might fix the problem. Look in the manual on how to set this.

Furthermore sometimes it helps to take of the Valve and pushing in the pin a few times and then placing the valve back. It can happen that the valve opens but that the pin it slightly stuck.

Thanks Steven, I will defility look into that. Didn't know that that option existed. It isn't mentioned on the instruction card that comes along with the value but it is mentioned in the manual (

Please login or register to see this link.

).

I also found something else in the manual that might interest some people in this topic:

4.6 Deactivating intelligent control

The thermostat’s intelligent control ensures that a desired temperature is reached by a given time. For example if Danfoss link is set to switch from 17°C to 22°C at 07.00 am - e.g. from a saving period to a normal heating period, the thermostat will calculate when it has to begin heating in order to reach 22°C at 07.00 am.

This feature may be deactivated as follows:

* Press for 3 seconds until M is displayed.

* Press until FO is displayed.

* Select 0 or 1 using

1 = intelligent control activated/0 = deactivated

For my danfosses, there is no such option in the menu unfortunately - I think they used to have this option with older version.

For my danfosses, there is no such option in the menu unfortunately - I think they used to have this option with older version.

I've checked yesterday and I don't have that option either. I think it's only available when you've connected the valves to the danfoss living connect controller.

I also changed the radiator size to 'undersized' but that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

The work-around I'm thinking of is to make a separate heating zone for the danfoss valve. In that heating zone I will keep the valve on 28 degrees during daytime and close the valve at night. And I will regulate the temperature in my 'normal' heating zone for my room (where I have the temperature sensor). Of course this is super silly as it beats the whole purpose of having a 'smart' radiator valve but my floor should get warm at least

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Guest MitchellOnline
  • Inquirer
  • -

Edited by MitchellOnline

That is exactly what I am already doing for a couple of months. But instead of creating a separate heating zone, you can also write some LUA code.

I read the current temperature from the heating panel with LUA, if the room temperature is lower then the wanted temperature, I set the danfoss valve to 28 degrees. Then the code checks when the valve is fully open.

If the valve is open, my boiler starts to heat. I also check the state of the door/window sensors. If a window is open in a particular room, the danfoss valve won't open, so I won't waste heat for nothing.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

I would be interested in that Lua code!

I'll probably won't go down the multiple heat zones road. It seems really dumb to use a €50 valve that way.

I think I can fix this issue in a totally different way. As this whole concerns my floor heating I probably can use the pump of the floor heating to adequately regulate the temperature of the room. I'll remove the danfoss valve from the floor heating and replace it with a normal one and turn that valve fully open. Then I'll set my pump to maximum speed and connect it to a fibaro wall plug. Finally I'll create a linked device (heating) that includes the room temperature sensor, the on/off controller for the heater and the wall plug that controls the pump. Now when the temperature is too low the heater will turn on and also the pump will start circulating at full speed. When the temperature is adequate both the heater and the pump will turn off.

The potential downside of this solution is that floor heating will warm up even when the pump is off but some other room is asking for more heat. Water will be flowing through the system even though the pump is off. I suspect that the rate in which the floor heating will warm up while the pump is off will be so low that it won't make a huge impact on the actual room temperature.

All this said... this solution will probably work because it's floor heating where I can regulate a pump but it won't solve the issue with the danfoss valve in other rooms.

On 4/12/2013 at 2:26 PM, MitchellOnline said:

That is exactly what I am already doing for a couple of months. But instead of creating a separate heating zone, you can also write some LUA code.

I read the current temperature from the heating panel with LUA, if the room temperature is lower then the wanted temperature, I set the danfoss valve to 28 degrees. Then the code checks when the valve is fully open.

If the valve is open, my boiler starts to heat. I also check the state of the door/window sensors. If a window is open in a particular room, the danfoss valve won't open, so I won't waste heat for nothing.

/uploads/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" />

Hello... could you provide us with the LUA script.

Thank you Very Much