Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Motion sensor scene triggering

WiYantra

Question

Hi Forum,

We have installed Fibaro Motion sensor on HC2, we would like to know how efficiently we can use the motion sensor in different scenarios

We have a scenario like

When someone enters in Living room motion sensor has to detect the motion and trigger the lights ON and if there is no motion detected, then it should turn OFF the lights. How efficient can the motion sensor will work with this scenario.

How can we create a scene for the above scenario.

In the advanced settings we have noticed there are plenty of parameters, can anyone give us some shortcuts on how to make use of those parameters to make automation more effective.

You can do it either via the associations function in the advanced tab or by creating a simple scene that turns on a light if motion detector = breached.

You can also do it with a lua scene if you know lua then you just turn on the light if motion detector value is greater than 0.

But usually, you'd want a delay before it turns off the light again, as you don't necessarily move around constantly, so the light might go out while you are in the room. My motion detectors reset a timer to 60 or 120 secs depending on the room. After this period, they slowly dim the light to 0 over 120 seconds. If motion is detected at any time, the timer will reset to full brightness for XX seconds.

You can do it either via the associations function in the advanced tab or by creating a simple scene that turns on a light if motion detector = breached.

You can also do it with a lua scene if you know lua then you just turn on the light if motion detector value is greater than 0.

But usually, you'd want a delay before it turns off the light again, as you don't necessarily move around constantly, so the light might go out while you are in the room. My motion detectors reset a timer to 60 or 120 secs depending on the room. After this period, they slowly dim the light to 0 over 120 seconds. If motion is detected at any time, the timer will reset to full brightness for XX seconds.

Can you please share the LUA code for this light scene you mentioned ?( with dimming over a 120 sec interval)

Thanks

• Inquirer
  • Hi Dalle,

After configuring motion sensor on HC2 does we need to set any parameters on advanced settings and share the scene that you have created.

Thank you

I'm not using it myself, somi can't remember exactly where it is and how it works, but somewhere in the device config, there is something called associations (i believe it is in the advanced tab) here you have three different types of associations. Choose the one which fits your need best and input the light you want to turn on. Now, this is a direct communication between the devices, no interaction with the controller is needed for this, therefore, the devices must wake up and retrieve new parameters before they start working. So make sure to wake up any battery driven components to update the settings.

Hi Dalle1985

could you please also share the LUA code for this light scene you mentioned ?( with dimming over a 120 sec interval) with me also please?

Thank You!

I will upload it to this page as soon as I get home... But right now I'm on an oil field in the middle of the north sea, so can't share much code with you tonight

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

WiYantra, I'm doing this in 2 rooms , one with scenes and the other with direct associations .

the one with associations i configured the motion sensor to detect motion at night only ( using LUX to decide ) so it only turns the light on when it's dark

tell me which scenario you want and i'll share the settings .

• Inquirer
  • Hello Rami,

We are placing the motion sensor in a Living room,

we are looking for the following scenario

we want the motion sensor should trigger the lights ON when there is a motion and it should turn off the lights after 3 minutes only if there is no motion.

Please share the association settings and scene settingsv(Graphical or LUA) for this scenario.

Thank you!

I am still trying to work out the most efficient way of using the motion sensors but in my configuration I only use the accosiation to turn the lights off. Why? I will explain.

Some lights have to turn on when it is day, some when it is night and sometimes dim them when it is night and we are sleeping (so not only depending on lux but also on a variable). So turning the lights on is always done through scenes in the HC.

To make sure the lights stay on for a certain time, you use the accosiation. So set parameter 12 to "Sending only BASIC OFF frame in Basic Command Class" and accosiate the lights that are turned on by your scenes.

In this way, when a sensor is triggered, depending on your liking it is turned on by the scene. then it will be turned off directly from the motion sensor whenever there has not been movement in your room for the set period of time. which is nice as the time is reset at every movement.

If someone has a more efficient way I look forward to hearing it!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Hello Stevenvd,

Can you share the details of variables you have used

How to create those variables and what values have to be given to the variables in the variables panel?

Hi guys,

As promised, the scene I use. I've tried to include a few comments to make it easier to use. Enjoy:

Please login or register to see this code.

WiYantra, There you go

The associations sensor i configured it to be active only at night and to send both commands ( on and off )

So if LUX is less than 7 then the sensor is active and if it's triggered then it'll turn on the lights and turn it off after 30 seconds .

Second sensor i did it with scenes since my conditions are more complicated .

It's the bedroom lights which they are turned on if i opened the door at night but most of the time i'm leaving the door open so i wanted to do the same with the motion sensor but since i have 3 lights in the bedroom ( 2 floor lamps and 1 ceiling lamp ) and sometimes i use the floor lamps more often and also i don't want it triggered when i'm sleeping so i did the following .

A scene to turn on the ceiling lights if motion is detected and it's night time and the 2 floor lamps are off ( this way the ceiling lights doesn't turn on if i have the floor lamps on )

seems a little bit complicated but this is exactly what i want

[ Added: 2014-04-30, 17:13 ]

stevenvd, Nice idea , i didn't think about using associations to only turn off the lights , i'll give it a try

the nice thing about only using the off command is that it will still use the timer of the motion sensor including resetting it's timer when new motion is detected. and at the same time using the intelligence of the scenes to turn them on.

I first had the association for turning on as well. but it didn't work nice with the lights for the night...

stevenvd, Yes , agree , will give it a try tonight

Specially that i just got the new TKB dimmers which are awful, they are broken and then don't do SOFT ON unless it's from an associated device

so weird

Dalle1985, thank you for the scene, but I have a little problem. The light turns on if the motion sensor is breached, but the light doesn't dim slowly and stays all time on.

Do you have any idea what is the reason for this?

Peter

Dalle1985, thank you for the scene, but I have a little problem. The light turns on if the motion sensor is breached, but the light doesn't dim slowly and stays all time on.

Do you have any idea what is the reason for this?

Peter

Hi Dale1985,

I have the exact same issue with the script as Peter! The light will turn on at motion but never turn off again?

What are we doing wrong?

Thank you.

Sorry guys,

There was an error in the code, I rebuild it for userfriendliness before i put it up here, but apparently there was an error in that code. I've just checked it and uploaded another version to the old post to avoid anyne using the wrong code. Code below:

• Like 1

Sorry guys,

There was an error in the code, I rebuild it for userfriendliness before i put it up here, but apparently there was an error in that code. I've just checked it and uploaded another version to the old post to avoid anyne using the wrong code. Code below:

Thank you Dalle1985! Working perfect now!