Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

What is the strategy of this company

Dino

Hi MrMKHR,

You're welcome. I'd like it if stable meant perfect

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> I also know how frustrating it can be to be stuck between an imperfect solution and a fix that isn't released yet.

Regarding missing features... as you said in your reply to talktome, there is a need to "start fixing bugs instead of implementing new features". There is a balance to be struck. X amount of coders can produce Y amount of code. The development team are working hard on fixing the bugs and finalizing features they have been working on. Unfortunately, as you know, this delays new development. As Daniel said, the guys in Poland may be able to give you time frames.

In the mean time, if you (or anyone!) need support, that's why support exists. We can't magic features that don't exist into being! True! But we have taken hundreds of support calls and emails and experienced countless numbers of systems and configurations. We have Fibaro in our homes and we are surrounded by it in the office. The chances are if you have an issue, we've come across it before - or something close to it. We might just be able to help turn a headache into a system that does what you want it to do.

I personally do care if the Fibaro system doesn't work the way you expect it should! Yes, it's my job, but it is also my passion.

Kind regards,

Adam Bewsher

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GG
I won't comment on you definition of "stable". It's good to know your companys view of it tough.

Well I cannot resist commenting your definition of stable, Adam!

I think on this forum there is a general misunderstanding of the word 'stable' - as used in software development. Stable does not mean 'no bugs'. Stable means unchanging. As opposed to beta where things could change from version to version.

Maybe you (Fibaro) should think out of a customer perspective... Most of your customers are ordinary, technically interested people and how do you think they interpret the word "stable"? I can tell you, they interpret it as if the software is stable from a user point of view meaning that functions work as advertised, the system doesn't crash or hang every other day or week, that inclusion/exclusion of devices work every time etc.

Also because of no what so ever documentation regarding supported (by Fibaro tested) devices, Fibaro can always say; "That device is not supported in this stable release". Also, adding not supported devices might decrease system stability (which it shouldn't and if it is it indicates poorly written code). That is not the best customer care you can think of.

Furthermore, it is VERY important for a company like Fibaro to have a stable release from a customer point of view. If you continue pushing betaversions to stable and then stop fixing bugs, I think you are on the wrong track. I mean, if you stop fixing bugs in the stable version and the next stable version (which is also a beta called stable) is about a year later, customers will stop waiting for fixes and look at competitors instead. Especially when you are rewriting core components of the product (which obviously takes more than a year), you need to continue fixing bugs in the previous version, not adding new features, but fixing bugs.

I think you should consider ths following definition of 'Stable': No new features are added BUT BUGS ARE FIXED. This is extremely important part of the developing process in getting a stable, working release of your software. At some point, you need to do a feature freeze and then focusing on getting all features (new and existing) working and then fix all reported bugs.

I myself, sorry to say, am getting a bit worried about this upcoming v4 as it (from what I read on the forum) isn't that stable (from a user point of view). Conversions from earlier versions fail, system becomes inresponsive and crashes or hangs too often for me to beleave a truly stable (i.e. working) release can actually exist first week in january. I mean, Mr Fidziu wrote an answer 2013-12-23, exactly one year ago:

Please login or register to see this link.

. Hope I'm wrong on this.

I think Fabaro need to think a little bit about how you communicate with your customers (not only the market). You need to be more open regarding known bugs (both in software and hardware) and especially on workarounds. I cannot find any list of known bugs written by Fibaro anywhere? Why not? I think the Fibaro guys cannot stand the shame of the fact that there are bugs in there products. I mean, now Adam and David tell us there are a number of known bugs in v 3.590. Where is the list with these bugs and common workarounds? Where is the list with known bugs in diffrent versions of fibaro devices. I asked for a list of known bugs in diffrent releases of Fibaro devices almost two years ago without any response what so ever from Fibaro, see post

Please login or register to see this link.

Version 3.590 was released feburary 26th 2014. In that post, A.Socha doesn't say anything about this being a 'stable' version and that no more bugs will be fixed. I think Fibaro did not know, at that time, this would be the last update on version 3.x. We customers cannot read your minds, you need to tell us what you mean.

Let me just point out that I mainly address Fibaro in Poland. I think it is very good for the forum and us customers that Adam and David take there time to answer/comment posts on this forum.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Guest bozman

Well said!

You nailed it!

Fibaro read these posts that GG and MrMKHR wrote and read theme not once but several times and do not explain things on how it was but start doing theme instead!

Iv read trough this post and many others since i converted to z-wave and Fibaro. Was really looking forward to be able to implement more than just lights and simple scenes.

And i see several sides, both good and bad, from customer and from Fibaro.

I see myself as an average user/custromer of this system. Not the high end user that demands a lot or the n00b that don't know anything and should have stayed away from the start.

When i got the system and connected it and started programming i was happy, the interface looked good and easy to use. the "box" scene configuration was apealing etc. So what could go wrong?

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

Well what i experienced from there was days and hours of frustration. Things where bugging, even when i did something basic and correct. I was using a lot of time figuring out if i had done something wrong. Cause the manuals for the system are firstly outdated and very, very basic informed. It's a typical computer geek trying to explain something, they think they are explaining in a simple way, but they are actually explaining it like it was latin or something. So only there i needed to use hours to put myself into everything, figuring out the connections and dots between stuff.

Next is that the features even in "stable" release is not working, its bugged. like variables etc. And all i see in here is that they are working on a 4.x version with a lot of new "cool" features. All i can think of is all the upcomming problems i will be having. Fibaro should definitly skip version 5 and work on getting 4.x rock solid. NO MORE FEATURES. Leave that for the high end LUA coding geek of a user to work something out by himself. Fibaro should tell what they plan after releasing 4.x. Will they continue working on more features, or just leave it like this and work on getting it as rock solid as possible?

Problems i have been having is especially variables, not hard at all to put together right? but when its bugging and not working, then using many hours to figure out i havent done anything wrong its just a bug, then its frustrating.

Now i have a GPS variable i cant get working that Fibaro support now say i should change to a standard 0, 1 variable. If i really have to use 0, 1 variables why isnt this written somewhere? Also i dont know how to use standard variable, cant find a proper manual on it either. Also when making scene, make the blox/lua etc BEFORE you make the first page with names of scene etc, cause if not it might bug out.

I really don't care if i have to go edit page 2 before i edit page 1 even though there is no logic in it. As long as Fibaro could be honest and say there may be a bug, and this is how to avoid it. Its small tips and tricks to avoid getting it bugged, not only say this is a bug. Help us avoid it while you try to fix it. Tell this is the right way to make a scene. Dont start a scene with "this" but with "this". For me as a user to figure out how to avoid these bugs without a clue that there might be a bug in the firstplace without checking forum is frustrating.

Now today i cant remote my HC2. Iv been able to for days but now i cant remote configure from my PC, only control with andorid and ipad. Dont know why, i just get a blank page when i try to enter. I cant reset power for it since im not home, and havent been home for days. I guess Fibaro did something after the new update today that makes it impossible fo me to enter.

... Stable means unchanging. ...

Actually stable means "stable and unchanging" which is quiet a difference.

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

I think on this forum there is a general misunderstanding of the word 'stable' - as used in software development. Stable does not mean 'no bugs'. Stable means unchanging. As opposed to beta where things could change from version to version.

Adam Bewsher

Adam, I think that myself and a lot of other users do indeed have a very different understanding of the word stable. I would never expect for one moment that there are no bugs, there is no software package out there with no bugs, but stable to me does not mean unchanging, stable to me means working as designed, solid and highly functioning. There may be some minor bugs but nothing that should affect the core functionality.

I believe this is where a lot of the problems people have with Fibaro stem from. When we, and others are free to correct me if I am overstepping, expect a stable release to be able to handle the advertised and expected functionality. The major issues that people have had with dead nodes in 3.590 are a huge problem, and unfortunately Fibaro have not acknowledged this, directly, however indirectly, by re-writing the Z-Wave engine, to me anyway is an acceptance of major flaws in the V3 stable stream.

There is not much point in having a stable, by Fibaro's definition, version if it does not do what it is expected to do, however unchanging it is.

For me stable means that no new features will be added, and that the software runs more or less smothley, where minor bugs might happen but will be prioritized for fix.

Thats why for me i hope Fibaro will after release of 4.x focus souly on getting it rock solid.

• 3 years later...