Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Nest Protect support

budda

Question

Has anybody had a crack at getting Nest Protect exposed in HC2 as a v4 plugin?

I can understand Fibaro not offering direct support as it has a competing product, but i would be interested if there was any community effort already underway ?

The API doesn't look tricky - 

Please login or register to see this link.

Fibaro is not really competing with its smoke detector. Basically it's useless, because it's beeping randomly. The forum is filled with post about erroneous Fibaro smoke detectors. So adding support for a really great working smoke detector like the nest protect would help a lot 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

• Inquirer
  • If only the plugin API was re-introduced to v4.x so that we can build something and upload it to the HC2 box ourselves...

Has anybody had a crack at getting Nest Protect exposed in HC2 as a v4 plugin?

works like a charm! just add the Nest plugin and if a protect is attached to your nest user it just adds it in the plugin.

ps.: my fibaro smoke detectors don't beep randomly.... if you run in to that, swap them at you supplier, hardware fault..... (been there)

cheers

emiel

• Inquirer
  • works like a charm! just add the Nest plugin and if a protect is attached to your nest user it just adds it in the plugin.

ps.: my fibaro smoke detectors don't beep randomly.... if you run in to that, swap them at you supplier, hardware fault..... (been there)

cheers

emiel

That's odd then. I added the Nest plugin and connected it up to my Nest account and no devices are found.

If i log in directly to 

Please login or register to see this link.

I can see my two Nest Protect devices.

The v4 Fibaro plugin description doesn't mentioning anything about support for Nest Protect devices either.

• Inquirer
  • Just re-logged in to HC2 and you're right a stack of new devices have appeared in the unassigned section for each of my Nest Protects. It works!

Thanks for the pointer emielstroeve  :->

I just installed 3 nest protects 2nd generation. I used the plugin to see them in Fibaro. However the first time it only sees 2 nest protects. I deleed the plugin and installed it agian. Than I only got one nest protect. Strange that I get differnet results and not all 3 protects as new devices. Anybody any clue waht to do. Try again till I get all 3 protects or is the plugin limited to 2 protects. 

• Inquirer
  • I just installed 3 nest protects 2nd generation. I used the plugin to see them in Fibaro. However the first time it only sees 2 nest protects. I deleed the plugin and installed it agian. Than I only got one nest protect. Strange that I get differnet results and not all 3 protects as new devices. Anybody any clue waht to do. Try again till I get all 3 protects or is the plugin limited to 2 protects. 

I've only got two hardwired Nest Protects so can't offer any advice myself. Are yours battery or mains powered? Do the battery ones take longer to show up maybe ?

I think that Nest protect plugin is not working correctly. Yesterday i had a real alarm - smoke in the kitchen - and there was only reaction from nest app and nest smoke sensor but no reaction from fibaro. In hc2 nest smok sensor is still with annotation - newer breached. My scenes with follow actions were not triggered 

I have confirmation from Fibaro Support that Nest Protect is not supported right know. You can add them but that's it . Carbon / Monoxide Nest protect will be supported in NEST 2.0 plugin (in the future).

• Inquirer
  • I just used the Nest plugin in HC2 and it covers both types of devices. 

On 11-9-2017 at 6:49 PM, budda said:

I just used the Nest plugin in HC2 and it covers both types of devices. 

which firmware are you on ?

3 hours ago, eboy said:

Hi

Its 4.130

and you can confirm with a screenshot the plugin is there withing 4.130 ?

Hi

No, there is no plugin available for any Nest product under the plugins section that I can find. - Should there be ?

Vesternet reckon they can make nest protect work with fibaro but wont give out the instructions unless a customer, so there must be a way ?

• Inquirer
  • Looks like the latest 4.x firmware no longer has the Nest plugin available.

I had an answer from the technical departement of Fibaro today... Unfortunally they have decided to stop putting efford in making the NEST api working together with the Fibaro platform for the moment... Unknown when they will pick this up again... 

<quote>

Unfortunately because of the other priorities we put the development on-hold. We’ve focused on new platform that will allow for virtual devices and scenes exchange. It will give us significant boost in IoT environment. 
    I am sure that we will continue NEST topic as soon as possible.
    </quote>

At the same moment I got a phone call from the Europian business development manager of NEST Lab Europe,  who confirmed again how they would love working together with every major brand of domotic systems.
    Hopefully by tomorrow I will have contact with the Api programmer of Nest Lab Europe and will discuss how and what I can do to get this thing rolling more as it is doing now. 

From a commercial perspective, I could or would believe that Fibaro is putting focus on its own products first... However... we just  received the news that Homey is going to work closely with TOON in the Netherlands... We can only hope, Fibaro will change their mind setting... 
    Edited by SpaceCompany

• Inquirer
  • It would be great if Fibaro just opened their promised plugin system up so others could drop a Nest plugin, or another device, into HC2. Maybe the IoT platform mentioned is part of this now ... always something changing and never releases.

I totally agree with budda, I would of thought Fibaro would work with IFTT regardless. Lets hope SpaceCompany can help!

As a side note I visited the NEC show yesterday with particular interest in the Smart Buildings Show. - Very disappointing on how little there was. However, Fibaro did have a stand. I asked why did they not produce a smoke detector that was wired 230v like Nest as without it we cannot get past building regulations. The nice girl on the stand claimed she was unaware of this ?? Surely they are missing an opportunity Nest are well aware of ? On the plus side they had a very nice video door bell and TRV controller.