Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Irrigation Control

Stealth

Question

I'm looking to upgrade my garden irrigation system and integrate it into my HC2.

My current system uses 24v DC powered solenoid valves which are triggered via opto-coupled relays with a coil voltage between 5-15v DC.

I want to control up to eight zoned valves from the HC2 web interface through schedules and interface switches (simular to how a light would be switched on/off but showing irrigation icons)

Can I / should I use a Fibaro RGBW Controller?,

or can I use the Fibaro Universal Sensor? (I'm not sure I can switch the two outputs of the UBS from within the HC2 interface though?)

Thank you for any advice / recommendations in advance....

19 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Guys,

The Fibaro FGS221  -  2 x 1.5kW Relay switch, I ordered to test for my irrigation system arrived today (Firmware 2.1). I am powering the relays with the same 24v DC power supply that is also powering the switched solenoid valves> This is great because I didn't want to use mains power to power the irrigation as its too close to water for comfort.

I can confirm it works great, just as I wanted with no messing around or having to jump through hoops.  I set the two circuits 'Controlled Device' properties as Sprinklers from the dropdown list and they showed up in the Sprinklers Panel without problem.  I have now ordered three more twin relays which will give me a total of eight irrigation circuits.

From the iPhone APP I can also manually start the irrigation on each circuit.  Only small problem there don't seem to be an override on the iPhone APP to stop the irrigation mid cycle from what I can see.  (However this is not the end of the world, just a nice to have)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Since posting I noticed there is an update for the iPhone APP

Changelog 2.4 -> 2.4.1

- Improved sprinklers control

I did the update which now allows start and stop of the irrigation circuits from the iPhone APP.  Perfect!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Good luck.

Steve

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Right... took the first steps in setting up the wiring of the system. As the RainBird valves that I will be using are 24vAC, I decided to buy a 230vAC to 24vAC transformer. Wired it all up using the 1.5kW relay. And it did not work. It looks like the relay works only on 24vDC or 230vAC. So I rejigged the cables and this looks like this now.

Wiring for DC which did not work for me.

This however did work.

Now waiting for the gardner to install the irrigation system.

Hi there,

I also would like to use the RGBW controller to control me irrigation system. Does anybody have any experience on this for us?

Thx Rolf

• Inquirer
  • Hi there,

I also would like to use the RGBW controller to control me irrigation system. Does anybody have any experience on this for us?

Thx Rolf

Hi Rolf,

I have just ordered two so I will let you know how it goes....

• Inquirer
  • I have now added my Fibaro RGBW controller and configured it as Output/Input device to control 12V DC relays which will switch my 24V DC irrigation solenoids on/off.

I have also added a Fibaro FGS211 module that will switch my 24V DC PSU on/off as required when either of the RGBW circuits are switched on .  My question is how do I associate the four RGBW circuits to switch the FGS211 on? Can this be done with creating a scene?

Thanks

This is a good topic for me.. I am about to embark on having a irrigation system installed and want it to be controlled by HC2. Also would be interested in setting up a moisture sensor from the garden to see if watering is necessary or not.. @Stealth, might be worth giving Fibaro UK a shout as they are pretty creative about this and more responsive to user queries.

Also as an out of step question, what irrigation system do you guys have installed? Is it all RainBird brand or others?

• Inquirer
  • I have decided to scrap the idea of using the RGBW controller.  Unfortunately there is no sprinkler option in the 'Controlled Devices' drop down list. I want to use a the sprikler option because this gives a drop down timer/auto option on the control screen of HC2.

Instead I have decided to use the FGS221 2x1.5kW Relay switches, as I know the FGS211-3kW has a sprinkler option in the 'Controlled Devices' drop down list. It can also be powered with 24V DC...

My Setup details (I'm now converting to Z-Wave control)

I purchased my valves a few years ago from EdenProducts.co.uk (Bermad Soleniod Valve 0.75in 24V AC FxF) cost was around £18.00 per valve but I changed the soleniods from the supplied 24V AC to 24V DC at a cost of couple of pounds each from memory.

Photos of my setup attached (Sorry i'm not sure how to rotate the photos on this board).

Regards

Steve

I have decided to scrap the idea of using the RGBW controller.  Unfortunately there is no sprinkler option in the 'Controlled Devices' drop down list. I want to use a the sprikler option because this gives a drop down timer/auto option on the control screen of HC2.

Instead I have decided to use the FGS221 2x1.5kW Relay switches, as I know the FGS211-3kW has a sprinkler option in the 'Controlled Devices' drop down list. It can also be powered with 24V DC...

My Setup details (I'm now converting to Z-Wave control)

I purchased my valves a few years ago from EdenProducts.co.uk (Bermad Soleniod Valve 0.75in 24V AC FxF) cost was around £18.00 per valve but I changed the soleniods from the supplied 24V AC to 24V DC at a cost of couple of pounds each from memory.

Photos of my setup attached (Sorry i'm not sure how to rotate the photos on this board).

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve..

This is great to hear.. Would you be able to post on how the relays are wired to power the solenoids??? I spoke to my Gardner who is recommending RainBird system for the irrigation.

Guys,

The Fibaro FGS221  -  2 x 1.5kW Relay switch, I ordered to test for my irrigation system arrived today (Firmware 2.1). I am powering the relays with the same 24v DC power supply that is also powering the switched solenoid valves> This is great because I didn't want to use mains power to power the irrigation as its too close to water for comfort.

I can confirm it works great, just as I wanted with no messing around or having to jump through hoops.  I set the two circuits 'Controlled Device' properties as Sprinklers from the dropdown list and they showed up in the Sprinklers Panel without problem.  I have now ordered three more twin relays which will give me a total of eight irrigation circuits.

From the iPhone APP I can also manually start the irrigation on each circuit.  Only small problem there don't seem to be an override on the iPhone APP to stop the irrigation mid cycle from what I can see.  (However this is not the end of the world, just a nice to have)

Since posting I noticed there is an update for the iPhone APP

Changelog 2.4 -> 2.4.1

- Improved sprinklers control

I did the update which now allows start and stop of the irrigation circuits from the iPhone APP.  Perfect!

Good luck.

Steve

• Inquirer
  • This is great to hear.. Would you be able to post on how the relays are wired to power the solenoids??? I spoke to my Gardner who is recommending RainBird system for the irrigation.

Please see attached wiring diagram... 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

Please see attached wiring diagram... 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

Thanks. I suspect I may come back to ask more questions. Much appreciate your help..

• Inquirer
  • Thanks. I suspect I may come back to ask more questions. Much appreciate your help..

Don't forget to set the 'Auto Off' parameter.  I have mine set to 20 minutes. That way the valve will be switched off if it's left on in error.

Just a quick update on this. The Irrigation system was installed today and everything seems to be working as I expect it to. Just setup the irrigation panel to work at midnight.. lets hope it does what it says on the box..

Just a quick question for you though.. I did setup the parameter in the 1.5kw devices to stop the sprinklers if they have been running for more then 10 mins. However, once activated, I was unable to turn off the sprinklers after they were switched on manually. So I removed that setting. Do I need anything else set to ensure that the sprinklers do not run for more then 10 to 15 mins??

Ok. Worked out that I need to change parameter 3 as well. Also learned that to get the sprinklers to work under the control of Sprinkler panel, the setting in the drop down for each sprinkler needs to be set to Auto.. Learn something new everyday...

Edited by Raj

OK.. one more question.. I am now  confused as to what the Rain Delay does in the irrigation panel. It seems that if I set it to 24hours, it will do a 24 hour countdown from the point of setting and then once the countdown is finished, it ends the delay. I want the Sprinkler Panel to check if there is rain forecast and if it is, to delay the watering for 24 hours. It should continue doing this for as many days as needed.

• Inquirer
  • OK.. one more question.. I am now  confused as to what the Rain Delay does in the irrigation panel. It seems that if I set it to 24hours, it will do a 24 hour countdown from the point of setting and then once the countdown is finished, it ends the delay. I want the Sprinkler Panel to check if there is rain forecast and if it is, to delay the watering for 24 hours. It should continue doing this for as many days as needed.

Have a look hear this maybe of interst -

Please login or register to see this link.

Have a look hear this maybe of interst -

Please login or register to see this link.

Thanks.. I did get that info from Mark at Vesternet. I have setup the VD in a scene to run everyday to check if there is rain forecast and if so, it should apply the 24 hour delay. This is working but is not ideal. I would like the HC2 to work this out itself and there should be no need for a additional scene or VD to cater for this. After all, it is a smart home automation thingy magicy...

though saying that, since the Irrigation system has been installed, all we have had is RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN!!!!

Hi to all

I have my Sprinklers panels configure with 4 zones in the HCL (Fibaro Relay) . I've add thc VCL commented before to increase or stop the iirigation depending on the weather.

But i'd like to received any notification if the system doesn´t work properly. The problem that I have is that sometimes the relay go to dead node status and if I do not check the system everyday I will have a problem. 

Could anyboy help me on this? 

Thanks in advanced

Thanks for sharing the info, very helpful.

Can a single 24v transformer power 4 solenoid valves?  Which will be controlled via 2 x (2 x 1.5kW Relay switch)

On 7/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, Paul_GPvR said:

Thanks for sharing the info, very helpful.

Can a single 24v transformer power 4 solenoid valves?  Which will be controlled via 2 x (2 x 1.5kW Relay switch)

Mine is powered by 1 transformer.. it powers 4 valves.. though, they are not open in parallel..