Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGD211 Dimmer Wiring

echozero

Hello!

I've purchased an FGD211 Dimmer module but I'm having some trouble making up the required connections for my lighting installation.

What is confusing me is that I cannot map my lighting installation to any of the diagrams in the instructions.

Also, any other diagram I find online regarding dimmer installations seems to assume there are three cables connecting the two switches - I only have two cables connecting the switches.

You can find my lighting installation wiring diagram in attachment.

Thanks in advance for any help you might give me.

Best regards!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Have a look at the following diagrams that Adam has provided on the Fibaro UK site. They do have 2 wire circuits and how to wire them.

Please login or register to see this link.

See if these help.. I am no electrician but my electrician found them to be very helpful. Some of our lights which are controlled using Dimmer modules are 2 wire only and they do work as expected. Hope this helps.

What you have there is a two-way staircase setup. It's not the typical situation where you install dimmers but it can of course be done. You do however need to install more wires so I would get an electrician to do it as your question suggest that you not overly familiar with mains wiring.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Raj and UrSv for the quick replies.

Indeed, UrSv, I'm no electrician - just trying to have a go at installing this in my home since I've already installed the Roller Shutter modules without any problems.

So, just to be clear, I cannot install a dimmer with my current installation - at least without running some extra wires between the switches - is that it?

Best regards!

Yes, you need at least one more wire and the minimum setup would be to add one more wire between the switches, connecting the two switches in parallell using two wires from the left switch to the corresponding terminals on the right side switch and then those connected to the dimmer as per the manual for two-wire connection single switch i.e. to Sx and S1. One of the wires from the left switch should be connected to the incoming Live wire and henceforth only pass that on to the right switch side where it is connected to the L terminal on the dimmer and nothing else. The wire coming from the bulb should then be connected to both Neutral and Output on the dimmer. This is assuming you place the dimmer in the right side switch position.

• Topic Author
  • Once again, thank you for your detailed reply, UrSv!

I'll look more into it and give it a try.

Best regards!

• Topic Author
  • Hello, again!

I've successfully installed the FGD211 Dimmer module after making the modifications suggested by UrSv.

You can find in attachment the steps I've taken to complete this task so that it might help others that find themselves in the same situation.

Best regards!

Please login or register to see this attachment.