Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW - Connection

elev8john

Question

Hi,

I am a newbie but eager to understand and learn the HC2 which I have found to be impressive after only a few days exploring.

I want to experimentally connect the RGBW to a 5mtr LED strip that arrived with its own 12V power supply and a 240 volt plug. I have found and understood how to add the module as a device into the HC2. No problem there. I can see that I will need to connect the RGBW wires into the corresponding colour connectors on the RGBW Fibaro module. I can see where I can get the 12v DC and where it needs to be connected same as the ground or negative. What I dont get is the IN1 - IN4? 

All I want to do is simply see my Iphone APP control the strip, change colour, change intensity, turn on turn off.

So I am thinking short all 4 "IN" ports to ground?

Short only one "IN" port to ground?

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks

9 answers to this question

Leave the IN1-4 ports unconnected.

The RGBW module can be used as an output module as well as an input module using the inputs for 0-10 V sensors and other things. Have you read the manual? 

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • Yes I read the manual..for a newbie it was misleading, as no where did it say leave the IN pins disconnected. Your plain and simple answer was all I needed. Thanks!

• Inquirer
  • Still not working. The LED strip has 4 pin connections that I have assumed is Red Green Blue White.

I have simply wired these pins to the Fibaro RGBW modules  colour terminals.

I have a 12VDC positive and negative feed connected to the GND and +tive terminal

I have left the 4 IN terminals unconnected.

The wiring diagram in the Fibaro RGBW manual shows a link from the +tive terminal to a +positive 12VDC pin on the flex shown in the diagram. 

My LED flex only had 4 connection pins?

The diagram also shows the GND switched to the IN terminal as momentary. I didnt do this either.

Please login or register to see this link.

hi elev8john,

you  have to feed the RGB module and the ledstrip with 12VDC.

• Inquirer
  • Hi fkruis

Thanks  for the help....I have 12volts to the RGBW but you are right I havnt got 12 volts direct to the strip. Exactly which of the 4 pins  do I connect the -tive and +tive 12 volts to if the pins are already red, green, blue and white?

Have I incorrectly assumed that the 4 strip pins are to be wired to the 4 colour terminals on the RGBW module?

Sorry to appear dumb but I could really use some exact instructions please

Guest fat

Looks like you have an RGB strip, not an RGBW strip. The black wire should be the one that needs to get fed with 12v DC

• Inquirer
  • Thanks "fat" you sure helped me with this! Working like a charm and Ive learnt thanks to you and this forum

Guest fat

No problems. Glad I could help. Now just make sure you configure the RGBW module as RGB