Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGS222 Switch 2 not behaving as expected

wpeeters

Hello experienced users.

My FGS222 Switch 2 x 1,5 is not behaving as I expect it should be.

I added the device in Fibaro HCL. The input for the switch is another device sending a short pulse and connected to S2. Neutral and live connected to respective N and L.

By using On / Off on Fibaro UI, device is behaving as expected. However when used via the other device, sending the pulse, the switch state remain Off.

By changing parameter 14, I can manage to see the pulse (changing state) however it switches off immediately. If I change, increase, parameter 5 (auto off time) to a high value, the switch remain on till the time configured. But that's not the idea of it. I should remain on till I switch it off via the other device (sending another pulse).

Currently I have a workaround via a scene (if I switch the switch on via a scene, it remains on). But looking forward, I have other switches which I don't want to switch on via a scene.

Is this normal behavior? 

Thanks for an answer

• Topic Author
  • Yes, last config is mono-stable. Before I tried bi-stable as well as any possible option I think with param 13 and 14.

I already excluded and included the device as well. The moment auto off is triggered, the state is wrong. I want the state to be kept till the next pulse.

It seems that the pulse it too short to be detected as the one coming from monostable switch. Because that is exactly what you want to achieve, right? To make a pulse, turn switch on, send another pulse to turn it off. But if pulse is too short you need to externally make it longer, by some time relay or anything like it. Device was simply designed to operate with physical switch and can miss the pulse if it is too short.

• Topic Author
  • No, the pulse is not too short. With the other device, I can send a pulse as long as I want (by keep pushing the button).

The problem is the state of the Fibaro switch. When pulse is away,  the state switches to off again. That's not the idea of a relays isn't it?

I even don't care if the state is away because still I may have an indication of the on state via another option which is using another fibaro switch instead of my current device.
    However, while testing, I noticed I can send pulse via another Fibaro switch. The result is that the retrieving Fibaro switch is receiving the command and switches on the device.

The sending Fibaro device has status on. However, because the retrieving Fibaro switch is switched off via autoff option, If I switch the sending Fibaro switch to off, the receiving one doesn't change state. I need to double send (double click) before the receiving one is changing state again.

I've checked my FGS-221 relays. Don't have 222, sorry. I use them with two monostable switches (between S an L). All parameters at their default, but parameter 14 set to 0 = momentary switch. Note that Parameter 4 & 5 set to 0 = no auto off. A short press on the button toggles the relay. My HC2 displays the correct state.

Is that something that works with your FGS-222? So we can at least establish that the basic functionality is there? If so, let's call that device "A".

Next, you connect your pulse generating device, let's call it X. You refer to it as "another device sending a short pulse". That X has to be connected to S2 and L of device A. Can you tell us what kind of output device X has? A relay?

In post #1 you say: "However when used via X, the switch state remain Off." - correct? Maybe, when you tried that, parameter 14 was set to 1. So can you please confirm what the behavior of A is when X sends a short 0,1 s or longer 2 s pulse to A?

Post #5 confuses me. I've read it 10 times and it doesn't make it any clearer. It's probably because I'm tired. I understand that you now introduce a new device, you call it a Fibaro switch. Lets call it device Y. You say "I noticed I can send pulse via another Fibaro switch.". Am I assuming correctly thy Y is a Fibaro Relay, And that you connected I an O1 of Y to S2 and L of device A? And device X is not connected?

Your observations in post #5 don't quite surprise me. You mention Relay A has still auto off set to some value? If A has parameter 3 set to default = 0 = manual override disabled, it will behave like a staircase timer. You can use the switch to turn on the relay, but not to turn it off. Maybe you want it at 1 - manual override enabled?

• Topic Author
  • Hi Peter

Thanks for your feedback. Please notice I updated my profile. But for the interest of others, we'll proceed in english

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

At least, basic functionality is working.
    Device x is a wireless receiver. It receives a signal from a wireless switch (Niceway). I would like to keep using this one because of lack of Fibaro compliant simular device.
    Once I press the button on the transmitter, the receiver sends out a pulse of 230V. Previously, this receiver was connected to a normal teleruptor.

The behavior of A, when a signal is send by X:
    with parameter 14 = toggle switch (all other params are default) : The switch in the UI toggles to On and immediately afterwards to Off again.
    with parameter 14 = momentory (all other params are default)   :  Nothing happens in the UI.

Sorry about post #5. Even I'm confused now. Upon advice of intellihome.be. I replaced my Qubino relays to Fibaro relays. However the behavior is exactly the same as well as what I try to achieve.
    Y is indeed another Fibaro Relay. There is no wired connection between A and Y. Via association I would like to send a pulse to Y. Upon the pulse, Y must switch to on and remain on. Till the next pulse, then it may switch off.
    Exactly as a teleruptor does.

Changing parameter 3 is no option. Unless you can set offtime to infinite.

Based upon your feedback. I have two concerns:
    1) Why is momentory not working at all? I noticed now that in the setting description, momentory is mentioned as the default. However, behind the radio button, 'default' is mentioned behind the 'toggle switch'. What's the default?
    2) Is my wiring correct? You mentioned 'I use them with two monostable switches (between S an L).'
    below you can find the wiring diagram. Maybe something wrong?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thank you for explaining, much clearer to me now.

I'm conduction some experiments, to determine the response of the relay to different pulse lengths, like Mr. Nowacki suggested in post #4. In the meantime, could you confirm the output type of X? I couldn't find schematics for that NiceWay module. It should be a dry contact (the outputs of a relay, both floating in respect to all other connections on your module), the output terminal on the module should switch between L and "nothing". With "nothing" I mean: if you put an ohmmeter to X's output terminal 1 and terminal 2 (and if you only have output terminal: connect to that output terminal and L) you should measure > 10 M Ohm when X not triggered (but powered), and X not connected to the Fibaro Relay.

@ wpeeters does your FGS-222 shows as a FGS-221? Mine is doing that,

i have a problem with mine in this post,

Please login or register to see this link.

And the nice petergebruers is trying to help me to, but i doesent seem
    to have the time that i want, but next week its vecation and i hope to get som freetime to test mine out

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• Topic Author
  • Peter

Yesterday I spend some time in finding the manual of device x instead of keep looking into my problem with Fibaro switch. I've found it finally and re-programmed that one to send out continious 230V.

This way, my problem with the input is solved (however, somehow I don't feel confident putting Fibaro relais under continious 230 V. This refering to all I could read meanwhile about Fibaro problems).

Part of my output problem, sending out a pulse to a 3rd party device (which I did not mention yet) but remain the 'on' state in Fibaro UI, I solved as well by re-programming that one to expect continious signal instead of pulse.

A similar setup, but sending the output to a teleruptor, I can solve by replacing my 3rd party teleruptors to mono-stable relays. Actually, Qubino relais, which is feeding this device, has exactly the same behaviour. You can't send a pulse and keep the 'on' state in the UI. I really can't imagine that nobody is using a Fibaro relais to send a signal to a current in home installation, such as a teleruptor. If I need to this with Fibaro relais only, I need to have 4 or 5 of them only to manage the number of wires I have.

Thanks anyway for the time. But Fibaro setup is now bothering me for weeks. I can't spending time on this and still don't have gardening lightning or alarm module. I becoming to think I use Fibaro in my first trials too close to his limits.

I now need to reset my HCL to factory settings and include all the devices again. This because HCL is that unstable that I need to reboot every day. This was Fibaro support solution after they logged into my HCL. I did not get the reason or cause, even not an indication when the patch, or updated version, will become available. I'll now try it with resetting to factory settings and include device one by one and keep watching ram usage. Hope it will be solved.

• Topic Author
  • @ Sonnyboy

No, both of my Fibaro relais are shown as FGS222 Switch 2x1,5kW EU 2.2

Is the version also 2.2?

Good you found a workaround.

I've finished my experiments so I'll post the results anyway.

Test setup: FGS-221, 230V. S1 connected to a relay, relay driven bye a square wave signal generator. Parameter 14 = momentary, so the output frequency of the module will be half that of the drive signal.

I can obtain repeatable good results when Ton > 50 ms and Toff> 150ms. This comprises about 15% margin.

I hope you can continue your project and have fun wit HA!

• Topic Author
  • thanks. I really would like to have a working setup now. But I can imagine that once it's working I would like to extend and pick up your feedback again.