Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 and light goes off after less than 1 asecond

Alex

Question

I have one problem:
I tried to install the new dimmer 2.

Everything worked fine so far (inclusion, automatic detection).

I have two momentary switches. If I use one of them controlling light works fine.

I am having two light in a row (two lamps at different positions).

The dimmer 2 module is connected to L, N. The output of switch 1 is connected to S1 (the other switch is connected to the first switch via

Light 1 is connected to O, than to the second light and back to neutral.

(So phase is connected to L of the module and input to the switches, neutral lead to N and end of second light, output of switch is connected to S1 and this "O" from the module is connected to the first light)

Now the problem:

If I switch on the lights via app or web page it goes on to the dimming value I want.  but only for very short time (less than a second).

So it switches off directly.

If I repeat this it happens again. But after the third or fourth time the light stays on.

After switching it off again and waiting for a minute (I have not measured this) I can reproduce this behaviour.

What have I done wrong?

Any more details needed?

• Inquirer
  • Can be the reason that I have not connected Sx?

What is it for?

Can this effect related to this?

I will try it this week (just have to find the right cable. The place this dimmer is put is pretty full).

You don't seem to have the manual, otherwise you would have noticed the diagrams, showing the use of Sx.

Please login or register to see this link.

This module is not like a relay from Fibaro. It has to do with the fact that it can be used in a 2-wire setup. Then you connect module N to Sx. The diagram is in the manual.

I haven't tested it, but it seems very likely the cause of your problem.

• Inquirer
  • I have seen (and read) the manual but I thought that the use of Sx is for power connection to the switch to light up an internal LED or something else for example.

I could not find any explanation for it.

I had have the old dimmer before and did not connect Sx and it was working without any problem.

So I thought I don't need it here too.

I have seen (and read) the manual but I thought that the use of Sx is for power connection to the switch to light up an internal LED or something else for example.

I could not find any explanation for it.

I had have the old dimmer before and did not connect Sx and it was working without any problem.

So I thought I don't need it here too.

I see! I'm sorry if I sounded a little harsh... it's a habit of mine to refer to latest manual in case of confusion, it's not meant as a judgement. BTW if I wrote that manual, I'd take your remark to improve it. But I don't write manuals

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

May it be these 2 light are different? Do you perform calibration on two lamps or just one? Does Dimmer go offline (is it marked as dead in the interface) for a while when light turns off?

• Inquirer
  • May it be these 2 light are different? Do you perform calibration on two lamps or just one? Does Dimmer go offline (is it marked as dead in the interface) for a while when light turns off?

No, the dimmer stays online (not marked as dead).

The two lights are identically. For testing purposes I have used two old fashioned light bulbs (each 60W).

(Normally I would use two dimmable 9W LED bulbs).

I did calibration with both bulbs inserted.

• Inquirer
  • It looks like it has something to do with Sx.

I have disconnected S1 and now I can properly control the dimmer by web frontend.

• Inquirer
  • Now I have connected Sx to the switches.

It worked.

But than I have replaced the normal bulbs by LED and made a recalibration.

Now the problem is back again!

If I enable light via web it goes off after a second, if I enable it with the manual switch it works perfect.

• Inquirer
  • When I enable light via web frontend for about three times it stays on.

When I turn it off, wait for 1 minute I have the same problem as before.

Another effect I have seen is that it goes brigt, dimms down for about 60% and than dims up again and stays there.

• Inquirer
  • When I remove Sx and S1 everything is perfect again.

Btw: I have three switches and not two (I forgot one).

If I connect Sx only (disconnect S1) I have problems too.

That means: Light changes brightness once or goes off again.

1. Alex, do you have switches with neon bulbs? Don't use them, just use some simple switches that provide electrical isolation

It seems that there is a voltage on the switch input, can You disconnect entirely S1, S2 and Sx and the problem still exists when controlling through Z-wave?

2. It seems that You connected the load in series Dimmer output -> -First light- -> -Second Light- -> Neutral and this is faulty connection

they should be both connected in parallel between Dimmer output and Neutral  

Well this is not a connection with Dimmer, but it is basically the idea

• Inquirer
  • 1.) I am not using switches with neon lights. Just the classic ones.

If I disconnect S1 and Sx it works perfect, but without switches

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (S2 is not connected at all)

2.) I thought so, but now I have tested it (disconnected one light and the other one stills works). So they are in parallel.

You say you have three switches and two lights... Push buttons or toggle switches? Would it be possible to scribble an accurate diagram with all connections of all parts, make a photograph and post it here? Are any of these switches connected to L, N, the load or something else?

• Inquirer
  • They are all push buttons.

I will make a diagram later on.

Currently I have checked every cable.

All three momentary switches are connected with each other. So the input of all of them would come from Sx and the output of all of them would go into S1. O from the dimmer goes to place X where it divides into two cables, one to light A and the other one to light B (both lights are now dimmable LEDs with 9W each, but with ordinary bulbs the same is happening). Neutral of the lights are connected together with neutral of dimmer and so on.

There is power on S1 as long as I hold down one of the three switches.

On Sx is no power unless I connect it to Sx.

Right now I can choose between working switches or working dimmer without switches at all.

This did not happen at all with the old dimmer.

• Inquirer
  • The dimmer is set to momentary switches. So this should be correct

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• Inquirer
  • What is really strange in my opinion is that if I disconnect Sx and have S1 still connected now the problem stays.

It should not matter that S1 is connected because there cannot be (and is now) load at all (because I have disconnected Sx).

So actually there should be no difference if I remove the cable from S1 but there is.

Is it doable for you, to disconnect all cabling from Sx and S1, then attach another, separate push button with short wires to Sx and S1? I'm trying to establish if your existing cabling has got anything to do with this. I have three of these dimmers, but they are all connected to a single push button, so I can't really compare.

• Inquirer
  • Is it doable for you, to disconnect all cabling from Sx and S1, then attach another, separate push button with short wires to Sx and S1? I'm trying to establish if your existing cabling has got anything to do with this. I have three of these dimmers, but they are all connected to a single push button, so I can't really compare.

I will try it but cannot do this until this evening.

Btw if I keep Sx connected and disconnect S1 now I can enable light via web page but it goes bright (as I wanted to have it), dims down and goes up again and stays there.

I guess there must be some problem with the cabling or the dimmer.

Is it right that I can measure load on the S1 cable (not connected) when the light is shining?

I thought there should be load only while pressing the button.

If I press the switch now I can measure a higher load while holding the switch.

Please post an exact diagram of your connection and maybe some photos. Otherwise we can just guess what can be wrong with the wiring.