Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 and the light started flashing like in a disco

Mo19

Question

Hi all,

We have installed a few Dimmer 2 in a house and just now we received info from the customer that something is wrong with one of them.

The transformers are dimmable Osram electronic transformers 105w on which you can see that it supports leading and trailing edge dimmers...

The bulbs are Toshiba 5w dimmable LED bulbs.

At first, everything is OK because they work super, no buzzing, no flashing no noise nothing! 

Now, the biggest, so to speak, ciruit with 8 bulbs started o flash like in a disco. At least that is what the customer said... When you dim them to 100% it works OK, but when you start to dimm them they start flashing.... Any idea what may be the problem? The other circuits are 5 and 6 bulbs.... The dimmers are connected to 3 wire electrical system (with N)....

Please help... Not sure where is the problem and from where to start?

I have the same issue but setup is different - only one regular 60W light bulb and 3 wire setup. This disco effect occurred in random time and no matter the dime level. Any idea what to parameter to change to solve this?

Some video from disco effect (it appears on 0:14)

Please login or register to see this link.

From observation and testing the results are following:

1. I have identical installation in 2 rooms (FGD212 + 77W halogen light bulb + momentary switch + 3 wire installation). This disco effect is present in both rooms at the same time - kind a synchronized effect.

2. Didnt experienced this before on 2 wire installation, but there was another issue where the dimmer turns off by itself - see this post : 

Please login or register to see this link.

3. I tested only the standard and halogen lamps and no change in effect. i have to buy dimmable LED lamp to give it a try.

4. FGD 211 is working without any issue so do other devices. 

5. Did several test with settings (leading/trailing edge, max min dimm level, soft start, auto calibration...) but still no success.  

Any idea how to solve this issue is welcome

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Another test executed. Changed bulbs into the dimmable LEDs from IKEA (12W - 1000lm). Flashing effect is still present in random timing. No synchro between 2 rooms in this setup. I have no other option than to return the dimmer and try the luck with other type

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" />.

Edit: one more setup, switched back to 2 wire setup. In this case blinking is not present, but without bypass LED won't work. Thats not the issue, because I prefer halogen lamps. I left the max level at 70% (set by auto calibration) to prevent auto switching off. Everything works so far, only max brightness potential is not being used.

Same for me.

Saw on another forum that this disco bug is a dimmer manufacturing problem, and is solved in version 3.3 to be released shortly.

Did you get more info?

I recommend you to contact support, because as far as I know none of the other users (nor I, using a test setup) was able to fix this "sensitivity". Support can confirm if the issue is that what has been fixed in version 3.3, by logging into your system, and checking data sent from the dimmer to your HC2 that is not (yet) visualized by the system. Maybe they don't need to, if you refer to this topic. Current version of the dimmer is indeed 3.3 and it solves a related problem, the 1-second turnoff issue, for me (in the lab) + for a whole lot of other people (an issue reported as a separate topic). Please check with support, because Fibaro has not (yet) disclosed if this 3.3 will be available as a firmware upgrade. Or if it is different hardware altogether.

Support answer to this type of issue: "Dear Sir, Using the Bypass 2 with the Dimmer 2 may help and reduce such behavior. Described by you behaviour as I mentioned earlier is the most probably related with electric network interference.Fibaro FGD-212 is quite different product than FGD-211 so you can not think about them as one product.Fibaro FGD-212 is a very accurate module out of concern for reliable operation and greater interference in the network may cause such behavior. Perhaps in your electric network more suitable is Dimmer 1 and you should use it instead of Dimmer 2."

Same for me.

Saw on another forum that this disco bug is a dimmer manufacturing problem, and is solved in version 3.3 to be released shortly.

Did you get more info?

And how do you update the firmware of a dimmer? Cause ours is on 3.2 and we just installed the bypass 2 and whenever we use more lights, it switches on or off, doesnt dim, though we used Dimmeable led lights (5x 5w). They kept flashing every hour or so before for a few mins.

Maybe try Qubino Dimmers?

Strange stuff. LED replacement bulbs can be difficult because of the passive active components in them. You never know if a combo works perfect. Need to test out various combinations.