Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Advice on lighting configuration please

PaulAshby

Question

Hi

I am just about to dip my toes into automating the house, starting with my daughters bedroom.

Her existing light is a standard pendulum lamp and on off wall switch, this is just a switched live so the ceiling end must have a neutral going to it.

I have 6 LED spotlights to install in 2 circuits with Dimmer 2 modules, I am then unsure of the best way to switch them on and off.

Was thinking I could link the existing switch out to give a permanent supply to the dimmers and have a momentary button  the request the lights go on and off.

There will be a motion sensor so I guess that could trigger lights when she goes into the room but then you wouldnt want to do that on a sunny day.

I have a minimote on order so that would be useful when she is in bed reading and want to know the lights out or change a scene.

Any thoughts would be welcome before I fully commit to anything.

Cheers

Paul

6 answers to this question

Hi

I am just about to dip my toes into automating the house, starting with my daughters bedroom.

Her existing light is a standard pendulum lamp and on off wall switch, this is just a switched live so the ceiling end must have a neutral going to it.

I have 6 LED spotlights to install in 2 circuits with Dimmer 2 modules, I am then unsure of the best way to switch them on and off.

Was thinking I could link the existing switch out to give a permanent supply to the dimmers and have a momentary button  the request the lights go on and off.

There will be a motion sensor so I guess that could trigger lights when she goes into the room but then you wouldnt want to do that on a sunny day.

I have a minimote on order so that would be useful when she is in bed reading and want to know the lights out or change a scene.

Any thoughts would be welcome before I fully commit to anything.

Cheers

Paul

What motion sensor you're going to use? I hope Fibaro....

Guest fat

If you do use a motion sensor to trigger the lights you could use a global variable for time of day to stop the lights turning on during the day. The other option could be to use a lux sensor to be part of the trigger for lights. Or is lux is over 100 then motion will not trigger lights

I would still use a switch for this as well though. Momentary switches are good because you can change brightness of your lights by holding the switch down

• Inquirer
  • Yes it is the Fibaro motion sensor.
    I wondered about the lux reading, I could use that coupled with Motion, would she be able to overide that then with her controller or tablet.
    What would you suggest for the momentary switch?

As far as I can tell at the light fitting I will have a neutral and a switched live with that fed from the wall switch so I am not clear what I should use to keep the dimmer modules powered and get a momentary pulse to tell the dimmers to turn on.

You can always override the on/off setting of the lights with the wall switch, app or remote. Just make sure you do not apply a LUA scene to any of the triggers caused by operating the wall switch or just the state change. You will only want some LUA code to kick in when the motion sensor detects movement AND it is too dark in the room.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks, also do I am ok running 5 lights of one dimmer 2?  I think I need to use a bypass, is that one per light unit?

Guest fat

5 lights can be run from one dimmer as long as you are happy with them all turning on and off at the same time as the dimmer can only control one circuit. As for bypass you only need that if you don't have enough load on them, dimmer 1 is 25w and dimmer 2 is 50w min load