Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

New to HC2: How to create easy switchable heating plans?

fja

Hi there,

I just installed my new HC2 yesterday. It is installed to manage a lot of Danfoss thermostats. Basically I can find t's and assign to rooms. Also managed using heating panel to create different zones, and setup a schedule for the given zone.

Nice and easy ...... but!

I would like to create different temp settings in general living area for different 'states' - like

- one setting for work week

- one setting for holidays (in)

- one setting for holiday (away)

...not just for full house, but also for the zones. We have guest rooms, so

- one setting for guests in house

- one setting for no guests

And so on..

It seems fully possible to assign rooms to more zones - but won't this create conflicting instrutions?? Who'll 'win'?? Is it possible to active / deactivate a zone with schedule??

Also - would be real nice to be able to program thses cahnages - like 'on vacation (away) until xxxxxx' - thens switch to 'work week' - or something....

Is above at all possible??? I have been throug manuals, examples and stuf - but don't find anything like this..

Best guess seems to be 'scenes' - only - I only get basic concept.. Most it seems to be relevant for doing lot of stuff based on triggers - and thats fine. But how does this work in combination with zones and schedules??

I know this is an awfull lot of questions - but would really appriciate some hints / links / samples....

Happy holidays! BR Frank

I also installed two Danfoss valves, inclusion is done and I can controll the valves from my main or device page. I also ca see that the

communication between HC2 and the Danfoss valves is good.

The main problem is controlling via the heating panel, it seems that the valves don't respond on schedules or manual control via the heating panel.

Is this still a bug? I am using version HC2 v 4.056

What could be the problem?

Hi Fja. It won't help but I've the same question. Fibaro definitely needs multiple heating plans that can be switched easily.

@Labtec, when creating a heating plan you have to assign rooms to every zone. Take care you assign the rooms that you have the valves assigned to. It works perfectly for me.

Hi Fja. It won't help but I've the same question. Fibaro definitely needs multiple heating plans that can be switched easily.

@Labtec, when creating a heating plan you have to assign rooms to every zone. Take care you assign the rooms that you have the valves assigned to. It works perfectly for me.

@theoverriet, I have one Danfoss valve in the livingroom configured, in heatingplan I made one zone livingroom and I assigned livingroom to that zone. I dont understand what Iam doing wrong because I can controll the valve from my "normal dashboard" and not from the heatingplan.

Heating panel still dont work in version 4.056 HC2

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" />

• Topic Author
  • @theoverriet, I have one Danfoss valve in the livingroom configured, in heatingplan I made one zone livingroom and I assigned livingroom to that zone. I dont understand what Iam doing wrong because I can controll the valve from my "normal dashboard" and not from the heatingplan.

Actually I have got schedules to work. A bit confusing is that a schedule ONLY sends commands at trigger time.. So if you add device it won't get a command until next scheduled change.

...and  - looking in event history - the actual command time varies greatly for the different devices. Seems that a scheduled and pending commend is sent only when device checks in.

• Topic Author
  • Did some experimenting the last days, and got most stuff to work.. Have a total of 12 active Danfoss valves, and 2 in manual mode only.

Have created 6 zones in Heating Panel:

- Travel ( - also 'unoccupied')

- Bedroom

- Living rooms - workweek

- Living rooms - at home

- isles

Reason for all these is to be able set schedules including day and night-lowering to match usage...

Example:

- Guest = 23:00 set night 18c, 8:00 set day 21c

- travel = set 16c (at 8:00 and 18:00)

- Bedroom = set morning and evening to 21c, night to 18c, day to 18c

- isles = set 18c (at 6:00 and 18:00)

- living - work = like bedroom, only day 22c Saturday and Sunday

- living - at home = 23:00 set night 18c, 8:00 set day 22c

So - when guest rooms an unoccupied they are 'moved' to 'travel' - and when having days off, living rooms are moved from 'work' to 'at home'

Works, but not very intuitive or easy.

Also found that 'Holiday mode' in Heating panels work across zones, so it is possible to manually set permanent temp for any zone... This will send a command ONLY ONCE, and then suppress changes. Problem is that this is then NOT redone in case of manual changes being done on valve..

Test on 'Manual mode' is not conclusive - but it IS possible to set a specific temp for a duration... Only - it seems this hold only until next change according to schedule, and is not reset after period end to current active temp in schedule..

To ensure that any manual changes are reset I've repeated setting instructions 2 times a day at least..

All in all it seems to work, but one has to be carefull to assign rooms to one zone only, or the schedules will all send conflicting instructions..

In the rooms setting for the living room, did you set the Danfoss as the main thermostat? That's the last thing I can think of.

Yes, but what if you have two Danfoss LC13 devices in the living room? I don't use a central thermostat. Is it possible to use two Danfoss LC13 devices in one

livingroom, I hope so because otherwise you could only use the heating panel for rooms with one Danfoss device.

I have multiple valves per room and they all follow the valve I set as main thermostat.

Okay, I see only changes in the valve I set as main thermostat. For example I use two valves in the livingroom (Danfoss.1 and Danfoss.2) If I select Danfoss.1 as main thermostat in the livingroom only this valve follows the heating plan.

???

if you are talking about lc13 danfos valves i dont understand how you can put them as main thermostat?

Its not a thermostat its an actuator.

Besides danfos follows the heating schedule according to zones so (like my own situation) put 2 danfos lc13 in a zone they both will pickup the temp set for that zone

So make sure you have a zone called Living room or so and edit that zone to include both danfos lc13

if you are talking about lc13 danfos valves i dont understand how you can put them as main thermostat?

Its not a thermostat its an actuator.

Besides danfos follows the heating schedule according to zones so (like my own situation) put 2 danfos lc13 in a zone they both will pickup the temp set for that zone

So make sure you have a zone called Living room or so and edit that zone to include both danfos lc13

I dont understand what you mean, I have the following setup;

1. Two Danfoss valves (devices) in my livingroom (Danfoss.1 en Danfoss.2)

2. Heating plan zone livingroom

3. Livingroom tab I select as The main thermostat Danfoss.1

4. Livingroom tab I select as The main temperatur sensor a Fibaro temp sensor

Is this the right setup?

@Kooy, I've one thermostat and that's in the living room. So in the living room I assigned it as main thermostat. In all other rooms with only Danfoss valves these valves are selectable as main thermostat. They are thermostatic valves, measure temperature and act (open close) if necessary, so to me it makes some sense. I presumed the heating plan also did something with this info but I might be wrong. If not, what's the use of setting up a main thermostat per room? 

• Topic Author
  • .... They are thermostatic valves, measure temperature and act (open close) if necessary, so to me it makes some sense. I presumed the heating plan also did something with this info but I might be wrong. If not, what's the use of setting up a main thermostat per room? 

Actually I was a bit confused of LC-13 meaning valve vs. thermostat. In DK the 'kit' containing both valve AND thermostat is sold under item ID 'LC-13' - so same same..

As to main thermostat - I was wondering also. Seems all devices are controlled and react individually to schedule. Could it be that you are able to adjust ALL devices in same room by only operating the main thermostat?? That would be nice.. Think I'll try

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Unless i wrong, danfos lc13 is a valve that has a temp probe. Though this temperature isnt very accurate. its not representing the temperature of the room where you are sitting probably.

In order to get all rooms at same temperature i have to adjust each room valve to the real temperature.

Example:

Kitchen (lc13 is near a window) if i put it to 21 degrees it will allways overshoot as the valve is being cooled by the window so for the kitchen i need to put it lower then 21.

In bedroom (lc13 is behind a curtain and a chair) the spot the lc13 is in will allways be warm as its being insulated by the curtain and the chair. so unless i put that valve higher it will allways be cold in that room.

Livingroom ( 2x lc13 ) both valves are in open spaces on each side of the room, yet the place where we sit and watch tv is in the middle, so i need to adjust both valves lower or higher to get the middle to 21

and the fun part is all can be dome without using fibaro:)

fibaro isnt doing anything to adjust this temperature, unless you start to make lua scripts that actually read the temperature and adjust the flow of hot water.

The fibaro heating schedule is just setting the valves not cheking any kind of temperature reading.

Okay, so only the temp setpoint is "controlled" by Fibaro. The Danfoss valves use the internal temp temp sensor, then indeed you don't  have to use

a Fibaro temp sensor for measuring the room temperature, it has no function at all.

Example:

Kitchen (lc13 is near a window) if i put it to 21 degrees it will allways overshoot as the valve is being cooled by the window so for the kitchen i need to put it lower then 21.

In bedroom (lc13 is behind a curtain and a chair) the spot the lc13 is in will allways be warm as its being insulated by the curtain and the chair. so unless i put that valve higher it will allways be cold in that room.

Livingroom ( 2x lc13 ) both valves are in open spaces on each side of the room, yet the place where we sit and watch tv is in the middle, so i need to adjust both valves lower or higher to get the middle to 21

It not what I had expected

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" />

I don't totally agree. Fibaro can mean something for your house heating plan (or whatever you call it). I've Danfoss valves in every room, at leat one temperature sensor in every room, a thermostat in the living room and a receiver connected to my boiler. I use the heating plans to control the danfoss setpoints, except for the living room. The setpoint of the thermostat is set by scripts because I want to be able to override the set temperature manually using the thermostat and that's not possible when I use a heating plan (it continually resets the set temperature to the heating plan value). The setpoints of the danfoss valves in the living room are set based on the set temperature of the thermostat by a LUA script (lowered by one because the danfoss valves seem to think it's one degree colder than my thermostat indicates).

All rooms are periodically scanned by a Fibaro LUA script on actual temperature, set temperature and windows being open or close. I've created some variables to store a temperature offset per room because most temperature sensors are located on cold windows (the offset option Fibaro offers does not work currently because of a defect), and an indication if the room is warming up yes or no. This combined leads to the decision to fire the boiler or not.

The LUA script runs form 5:00 to 23:00 and then it shuts down the boiler.  I use a normal scene to have the script run every 5 minutes.

The thermostat in the living room is still able to communicate directly to the boiler, but up till now (this setup is running for 2 days) my script was always the first to fire the boiler.

Unfortunately it's still hard to have this setup work perfectly all day. The offsets are influenced by weather, curtains that are open or close and  room doors that are open or shut. So one moment it works perfectly and then it sucks again. I removed some of te temperature sensors that were behind curtains, added new ones, and keep playing with the variables. But I know for sure that after some experimenting with temperature setting and temperature offset settings I will give me a nice multi zone heating system.

I will paste the code below. I'm new to LUA programming so feel free to comment. I'm open for suggestions how to improve my system!

Code that sets the set points in the living room based on the thermostat set point:

Please login or register to see this code.

Code that evaluates all rooms:

Please login or register to see this code.