Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGD 212 Dimmer 2 Brightness Randomly Changes

Guest makli

Question

Guest makli

I have Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGD-212) installed in 2-wire setup and it's controlling dimmable LED bulb (9W LED, 230V). Calibration process successfully detected LED bulb as dimmable. Dimming is working fine and I can set various brightness levels, but if I leave the light on running on low brightness (for example around 20% or 30%) it works fine for a few minutes, but then brightness gets randomly changed without any reason and brightness oscillates up and down (drop for a few minutes, then goes up again, then even higher, then drops again, ...)

There are no commands from controller, which would invoke this operation. It also happens when controller is off. However controller is receiving information from FGD-212 about change in power consumption, which corresponds to random brightness changes visible on the bulb. Controller is not receiving any information about change of the brightness level from the dimmer during that time. Normal operation can be easily restored (for a few minutes) by setting the right brightness again via manual switch or software.

I am experiencing this behavior also with halogen bulb. With LED bulb I tried with and without Bypass 2 installed (and recalibrated), the same behavior occurs in both setup.

Please advise if you are getting similar issues in two-wire installation.
Any tips and tricks will be appreciated.

Thank you

13 answers to this question

Just the same problem with 10 led 5w, ok when 100% if 20 30 40 light variations start?

@Parga - one other thought, try changing parameter 38, Brightness level correction for flickering loads

Changing this parameter was not something I tried - would be interested to know if this fixes your issue without the need for the ripple filter.

Hi Makli,

I recently bought a FGD-212 dimmer 2 module and experiencing the exact same issue you describe in your topic.

Did you already manage to solve the problem? I'm using the dimmer module with a Domoticz controler.

As you mentioned the problem also occurs when the controller is off.

Greeting,

Coen

In my case the dimmer is connected to a normal bulb lamp. It's consuming 32 watt in a dimmed situation.

I'm using the dimmer for about a week and beginning to notice a pattern. It looks like the dimmer is reacting on a signal on the powernet. 

Everyday at 22:00 the dimmer will adjust the brightness. At that moment I see a rise in power consumption (from 32 watt to 40 watt).

When I turn off the dimmer and back on again the brightness will restore to the normal level. But after a moment it will rise again.

The only solution for now is to lower the brightness everyday after 22:00. It is driving me crazy.

minimum load must be >25 watt, you have 9 watt if fully loaded, you must place a bypass to work correct.

Not too sure about Dimmer 2.

Based on limited experience and understanding, it is also dependent on the light and its components (e.g. transformer).

I have seen a 12W Philips LED dimmable down light with integrated transformer works fine with Fibaro Dimmer 1 module while the same module does not work well with another 28W Philips LED dimmable dining light with integrated transformer (similar to TS's scenario but instead of brightness changing, it was flickering).

Interesting you're having issues with this on a 2way circuit.  Have you got one of these dimmers behaving the same with a single switch setup?  

Last weekend I solved my problem. I had the dimmer connected by a 2 wire setup. For some reason the dimmer reacted on tone signals on the electric circuit in a 2 wire setup. After connecting the dimmer in a 3 wire setup the strange behavior stopped.

I'm experiencing the same issue with multiple dimmers (all 3-wire setup and using bypasses) After a while the light oscillates for a minute or two then it's fine again for about half an hour.

It doesn't matter what types of lightsource I use. Tried halogen, LED and normal bulbs

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

so this is an old thread, but i'm having exactly the same problem. 

if i'm on 100% brightness there is no problem, but if i dimm it works for a few minutes, then the brightness randomly changes.... this is pretty annoying. 

Hi @Parga, have a look at this recent thread. I see you are in Belgium, I think you have the ripple control signals too, but I'm not sure of the frequency used. (My assumption when you say you are "having the same problem " is that you've already installed a fibaro bypass and have a 3 way wiring setup).

Let us know if this solves the issue?

i fixed the problem by deactivating the level correction. 

i was annoyed by this problem for 5 years. now it's gone by deactivating a feature which should solve my problem. 

On 10/12/2020 at 1:20 AM, Tim__ said:

@Parga - one other thought, try changing parameter 38, Brightness level correction for flickering loads

Changing this parameter was not something I tried - would be interested to know if this fixes your issue without the need for the ripple filter.

yes, DEACTIVATING this solved it for me. 

Thanks for posting back, glad you found a resolution!  I will keep your experience in mind for my place.