Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 not dimming

rwiesel

Question

Hi

I've installed 2 dimmer two for circuits with LED bulbs (load is ~90W-110W)

For some reason the dimmer 2 fails to dim the circuit.

I've tried re-calibration, installed Bypass2 - nothing help.

If any of you have an idea how to solve this I appreciate it

Happy new year

Ran

17 answers to this question

2-wire or 3-wire setup?

Could you please tell us the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,14,30,31,32,33,34 because they tell a lot about the configuration.

On a serious note! What type of switch are you using? Toggle? Momentary? I would assume default parameters so switch would he a good starting point then possibly change parameters to match.

dimmable led's?? 

I've tried the dimmer-2 on dimmable leds. dimming is not a good as on halo lamps for instance. Dimming is only performed on a very small area.

cheers

emiel

dimmable led's?? 

I've tried the dimmer-2 on dimmable leds. dimming is not a good as on halo lamps for instance. Dimming is only performed on a very small area.

cheers

emiel

I think that is very bulb dependent. I've tried a mix of LED lamps on dimmer 1 an 2 (some IKEA, Osram, Philips an no-name). If you have some spare change, please try a Philips "Warm glow" dimmable LED. It dims down to nearly zero. Performance is very comparable to halogen.

dimmable led's??(...)

That's why my first question always is "parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,14,30,31,32,33,34". Number 33 is:

0 - Load recognized as dimmable

1 - Load recognized as non-dimmable

If the dimmer reports "0" while the bulbs are dimmable, then the auto calibration may fail to detect this amount and type of lamps as dimmable.

• Inquirer
  • The Parameters value are:

1 - 1%

2 - 70%

5 - 1%

6 - 0.01s

7 - 1%

8- 0.05s

14 - calibration procedure not performed or Dimmer operates on manual settings

30 - control mode selected automatically (based on auto-calibration)

31 - trailing edge

32 - on/off mode disabled (dimming is possible)

33 - Load recognized as dimmable

34 - short soft-start (0,1s)

switch is momentary. When I connect to the circuit (that has a total of 8 leds) a regular dimmable edison bulb instead one of the leds the circuits is being dimmed

I don't understand what is wrong

Ran

Hmm. You say you have calibrated but the parameter says you haven't. Can you try again, set p13 to 1 (or 2 with "bypass 2" connected).

The parameters suggest this is 2-wire, not 3- wire, correct?

It says "dimmable" so maybe I did not quite understand your question. I assume that you can only switch the lamps on or off. So even when you set the dimmer slider to 25 or 50, the light is on at 100%. Right?

• Inquirer
  • when I connect one of the lamps to be edison lamp instead of one of the led and calibrate it suddenly dimms it all

the parameters after cal are:

The Parameters value are:

1 - 1%

2 - 99%

5 - 1%

6 - 0.01s

7 - 1%

8- 0.05s

14 - calibration procedure not performed or Dimmer operates on manual settings

30 - control mode selected automatically (based on auto-calibration)

31 - trailing edge

32 - on/off mode disabled (dimming is possible)

33 - Load recognized as dimmable

34 - short soft-start (0,1s)

not sure that I understand the question regarding the wire - it is only one swithc

Ran

I have to think about this...

Regarding 2 or 3 wire: if your dimmer has L and N connected to mains L and N, it is called a 3-wire. If dimmer N is connected to Sx, it's 2-wire. The diagrams are in the manual.

Thanks.

I don't have a clue.

What I would do is this... Remove all lamps. Remove the bypass, I am almost certain that you don't need it for this setup. It is a "bypass 2" isn't it? It is not a "bypass 1"? Exclude (delete) the dimmer from your HC2 so it goes back to defaults. Remove the power from the module (circuit brealer, 5 seconds off), to make sure it detects 3-wire setup the next time you power it on . Put in one (only one) of your LED lamps. Power it on. Does it calibrate? It should. After calibration, add the dimmer back to your network. Then test 25% and 50% dim level. If that doesn't work, please post parameters, I'll have a look. Assuming this works, start adding LED lamps one by one. They are all the same type? Good luck!

I think that is very bulb dependent. I've tried a mix of LED lamps on dimmer 1 an 2 (some IKEA, Osram, Philips an no-name). If you have some spare change, please try a Philips "Warm glow" dimmable LED. It dims down to nearly zero. Performance is very comparable to halogen.

@petergebruers I plan to change my non-dimmable bulbs to dimmable ones and use them with dimmer 2. You recommend the philips "warm glow" dimmable LEDs but before I buy the dimmers and bulbs may I ask you some questions? You seem to have tested a lot of setups and have probably best knowledge what works and what doesn't

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I want to use them in a 3-wire setup - one fixture will have 3 bulbs and the other will have 5. Should I be concerned about the minimum load of 50W that Fibaro mentions in the manual? The bulbs are rated at 9W which will put me below this threshold even with the 5-bulbs setup, not to mention 3. When dimmed it will be even lower probably. Is this going to be a problem? Will I need the bypass2? I read about flickering lights on dimmer 2 and am a bit worried I will waste money on something that won't work (I asked at the shop and they have dimmer2s with firmware v3.3 in stock if it matters).

• Inquirer
  • Thanks  - I' ll perform later today and see if it works. I'll post right after that the results.

Appreciate you support

Ran

@petergebruers (...) You recommend the philips "warm glow" dimmable LEDs (...) Should I be concerned about the minimum load of 50W that Fibaro mentions in the manual? (...) Will I need the bypass2? I read about flickering lights on dimmer 2 (...) they have dimmer2s with firmware v3.3 in stock if it matters).

I run a single 9W "warm glow" on a FGD-212 (firmware 3.2 and 3.3) without issues, 3- wire setup. The old dimmer could not do that, without a bypass. Three of those on the old dimmer would have one of the bulbs glow faintly when turned off. I think it depends a bit on the bulb, if I remember well I had an older dimmable CFL of the same wattage that blinked when turned off. Bypass 2 fixes that. Anyway, I think the 50 W limit is more like 25 W and it is more important for 2-wire. The 3.2 had some slight flickering (I noticed it, my family members didn't!) but the 3.3 has none (not that we notice, in normal use). Others have reported this flickering and the best theory I have, is a "dependency on power quality". There are instruments (power quality monitor, oscilloscope) to check that but they're expensive and even then it's not easy find out.

I have finally bought and installed the dimmer 2 with 5 "warm glow" 9W bulbs. It works flawlessly in 3-wire setup without bypass. I didn't notice any flickering and don't hear any humming so far. All on autocalibration. Thanks again for recommendation @petergebruers!

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />