Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

zwave mesh network

cschott

Question

Even HomeSeer3 has the ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color and numeric value (green for good and so on). Check out the HomeSeer3 video on their portal.

This is a very basic diagnostic tool for installers as well as consumers to identify problematic devices throughout their place in attempts to solve bugs/issues.

Even HomeSeer3 has the ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color and numeric value (green for good and so on). Check out the HomeSeer3 video on their portal.

This is a very basic diagnostic tool for installers as well as consumers to identify problematic devices throughout their place in attempts to solve bugs/issues.

what's wrong with fibaro zwave diagnostics?

what's wrong with fibaro zwave diagnostics?

Is there a z-wave diagnostic in Fibaro's Home Center to begin with?

All it does right now is just to report whether z-wave devices have template or not. It does not diagnose z-wave network layer such as signal strength to each z-wave device included to Home Center.

let me quote what you asked for : ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color

and exactly this is built-in to Fibaro products, example motion sensor (taken from motion sensor user manual):

Z-Wave range test
The Motion Sensor has a built in Z-Wave network main controller’s range tester.
Follow the below instructions to test the main controller’s range:
1. Open the cover.
2. Press and hold the B-button.
3. Wait for visual indicator to glow violet (1st menu position).
4. Release the B-button.
5. Click the B-button to confirm selection.
6. visual indicator will indicate the Z-Wave network’s range (range signalling modes described below).
7. To exit Z-Wave range test, press the B-button briefly.

Z-Wave range tester signalling modes:
Visual indicator pulsing green - the Motion Sensor attempts to establish a direct communication with the main controller. If a direct communication attempt fails, the device will try to establish a routed communication, through other modules, which will be signalled by visual indicator pulsing yellow.

Visual indicator glowing green - the Motion Sensor communicates with the main controller directly.

Visual indicator pulsing yellow - the Motion Sensor tries to establish a routed communication with the main controller through other modules (repeaters).

Visual indicator glowing yellow - the Motion Sensor communicates with the main controller through the other modules. After 2 seconds the device will retry to establish a direct communication with the main controller, which will be signalled with visual indicator pulsing green.

Visual indicator pulsing violet - the Motion Sensor does communicate at the maximum distance of the Z-Wave network. If connection proves successful it will be confirmed with a yellow glow. It’s not recommended to use the device at the range limit. 

Visual indicator glowing red - the Motion Sensor is not able to connect to the main controller directly or through another Z-Wave network device (repeater)

So my question, how is this not enough? Sure, it is not Zwave zniffer, nor diagnostic panel, but it is what you asked for "ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color".

Honestly, before i plug zniffer stick, i do always this simple test - in 99% of cases it is enough. If there are problems due to e.g. LTE, i use small spectrum analyzer to check noise level, or if there are any signals disturbing ISM band (when there are any issues, then there is nothing what i can do on zwave level, except more devices and shorter range between them). Sure, with zniffer i can see more, e.g. if there are devices flooding network or if there are too many broken frames, but as said above, for 99% of our customers (and installer who work with us together) it is enough to use that simple test implemented in most Fibaro devices.

Just a good example how it could (should ?) be implemented. This is an example of Episensor using the zigbee protocol.

Please login or register to see this image.

That's a lot of plus ones

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

let me quote what you asked for : ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color

and exactly this is built-in to Fibaro products, example motion sensor (taken from motion sensor user manual):

Z-Wave range test
The Motion Sensor has a built in Z-Wave network main controller’s range tester.
Follow the below instructions to test the main controller’s range:
1. Open the cover.
2. Press and hold the B-button.
3. Wait for visual indicator to glow violet (1st menu position).
4. Release the B-button.
5. Click the B-button to confirm selection.
6. visual indicator will indicate the Z-Wave network’s range (range signalling modes described below).
7. To exit Z-Wave range test, press the B-button briefly.

So my question, how is this not enough? Sure, it is not Zwave zniffer, nor diagnostic panel, but it is what you asked for "ability to show a device's z-wave radio/network signal rating in color".

I think Tinman nailed it.

I always use the motion sensor, and find it helps to avoid problematic installs. It's not as easy to see as a map, & you don't get an overview, but at least it is able to give some indication of whether you are in a crappy spot or not.

Until the system gets a major overhaul, I'd be surprised if mesh mapping makes it on the list, as they have this as a version of a solution.

If i was doing more than casual installs I'd probably invest in a sniffer Dev Kit.

Just my 2¢

Cheers,

al.

Still miss the main point - where is the z-wave network diagnostic on Home Center?

Yes, some of Fibaro's z-wave devices (e.g. Motion Sensor, Smoke Sensor) have that ability but not all of them. And I believe most of our setup is not a pure Fibaro setup. Often, z-wave network issues are with other makes of z-wave devices.

If other 'z-wave controllers/gateways' are building that 'signal strength' or likes of it into the controller/gateway, why not Home Center? It might just help many forumers who are encountering problematic z-wave home automation understands what is wrong better and may be even steer away to the real cause of issues rather than current atmosphere of 'every issue is Home Center's fault'.

Still miss the main point - where is the z-wave network diagnostic on Home Center?

Yes, some of Fibaro's z-wave devices (e.g. Motion Sensor, Smoke Sensor) have that ability but not all of them. And I believe most of our setup is not a pure Fibaro setup. Often, z-wave network issues are with other makes of z-wave devices.

If other 'z-wave controllers/gateways' are building that 'signal strength' or likes of it into the controller/gateway, why not Home Center? It might just help many forumers who are encountering problematic z-wave home automation understands what is wrong better and may be even steer away to the real cause of issues rather than current atmosphere of 'every issue is Home Center's fault'.

Yep, your right, I entirely agree.

A map / layout / overview would be a welcome addition, ( the data would likely already be in there under the hood ), and there's no argument it could be a heck of a lot more precise and that it would be easier with an overview within the HC, and I agree also that connection issues are a likely cause of some peoples woes.

But in the interim, i still use my little golfball fibaro sensor because i've got one, it's portable, it usually runs sentry duty on the wall and it's all i've needed to double check spots ..

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Cheers,

al.

Yep, your right, I entirely agree.

A map / layout / overview would be a welcome addition, ( the data would likely already be in there under the hood ), and there's no argument it could be a heck of a lot more precise and that it would be easier with an overview within the HC, and I agree also that connection issues are a likely cause of some peoples woes.

But in the interim, i still use my little golfball fibaro sensor because i've got one, it's portable, it usually runs sentry duty on the wall and it's all i've needed to double check spots ..

Cheers,

al.

I agrees the workaround approach we currently have.

My bad for not quoting the right post which I was responding to.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />