Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Gate control, simple switch module?

Thor

Question

Hi All,

Seeking some advice from the group,

My gate setup has its own motion, pressure/resistance, open close, keyfob whatever logic built into it so I am not wanting to interfere with that. But I would like my Fibaro to know and trigger it to open and close in addition.

I've got the open and close sensing set up and working smoothly (Fibaro door sensor with this

Please login or register to see this link.

and mounted). It works great, but does not help me when I see my gate is open and I am already at work...

So where I get stuck is trying to trigger open/close. A bit naively I bought the Fibaro Roller Shutter 2, but it seem to want to do everything my gate already does... and I can't see how to use it for my scenario.

The gate has a switch sensor input, and there is already a simple push button connected to it that goes back to the house so I can trigger the gate from inside. This is where I am thinking to connect a z-wave module. There is no power that should get pushed through here, just simply making a "connection" and it triggers my gate to open or close. I have Fibaro Relay switches but when I try to connect them like they are it means they would push 220v through to the gate sensor (!?) and I don't want to try that...

Does anyone have some hints for me? Can the Relay be wired differently (or another device) to achieve a simple "connection"?

From my descriptions I am sure it is clear I am not a pro in any way, and has to rely on manuals and documentation to get anywhere...

Cheers

Thor

Guest Lode

Wire this way...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Parameter 3 first option

Parameter 4 one or two seconds

Parameter 13 first option

Parameter 14 second option

This is a question that gets asked allot. There is plenty older post to search that will explain in detail but I think you now get the basics of it. A roller shutter does everything that your gate already do. What you want is a potential free or 'dry contact' the old fibaro relay switch (fgs 211 not 212) or a quibino relay switch works.

Guest Lode

You can use the relay switch as an NO or NC switch so it doesn't push 220v trough your gateopener.

Second use a magnet contact attached to a fibaro universal sensor to see the state of your gate.

Works very fine.

If you need more in dept details, let me know.

• Inquirer
  • Ah, perfect Lode. That diagram is exactly what I needed and just seeing it puts the puzzle together. I knew it had to be easy but lacking the words to search for left me hanging.

I'll get this together for the weekend and try it, and thanks for the parameters as well. I usually get there, but only after a few hours fiddling about :0)

And thanks Joacim for the references, I think one of my relays is the older one. A pity the manuals that come with most of these devices are so short. I feel a couple more wiring diagrams for different scenarios would open the door for many more enthusiasts. Guess that's where these forums fills the gaps!

Cheers,

Thor

As for wirering diagrams there is plenty on the fibarouk site... Just remember if you do not know what you are doing you probably shouldn't do it if it involves mains electricity...

• Inquirer
  • Could not agree more! I like to map out the theory and if I can't make perfect sense of it I am not even thinking of touching a cable.

I had not been much on the UK site, thinking them all the same, but it really contains a lot more info!

Cheers

Thor

Just to be sure. Do I have to to something with the relay to be sure it doesn't sent 220v into my gateopener? Or will it do this automatic?

James

You can use the relay switch as an NO or NC switch so it doesn't push 220v trough your gateopener.

Second use a magnet contact attached to a fibaro universal sensor to see the state of your gate.

Works very fine.

If you need more in dept details, let me know.

Just to be sure. Do I have to to something with the relay to be sure it doesn't sent 220v into my gateopener? Or will it do this automatic?

James

If you know how to work safely with 24 V and 220 V, that shouldn't be a problem. But if you connect it the wrong way, this could lead to personal injury, fire or death. It's a matter of having the right wire size, keep distances and more. Also, please note that this relay (FGS-212 or FGS-222) is specified for indoor use and 0 - 40 degrees Celsius. Moisture and temperature are your enemies... If you are not qualified to do this, I urge you to ask a qualified electrician to do the job!

I've got everything installed, but the Fibaro doesn't find the switch.

I've got a Smart Switch 6 in an outside plug. And the distance from the plug to the gate is about 30 meters.

But I was reading that for installing a switch, you need to be in contact with the controller itself. But the controller is too far away. Is there a solution for this or do I realy have to get the controller or the switch closer to each other?

This is a question that gets asked allot. There is plenty older post to search that will explain in detail but I think you now get the basics of it. A roller shutter does everything that your gate already do. What you want is a potential free or 'dry contact' the old fibaro relay switch (fgs 211 not 212) or a quibino relay switch works.

I just looked over this. It says that the 212 doesn't work. I've got a 212. Is there a sollution for this?

I've got everything installed, but the Fibaro doesn't find the switch.

I've got a Smart Switch 6 in an outside plug. And the distance from the plug to the gate is about 30 meters.

But I was reading that for installing a switch, you need to be in contact with the controller itself. But the controller is too far away. Is there a solution for this or do I realy have to get the controller or the switch closer to each other?

Yes, distance is the most plausible explanation. If you can bring them closer together, inclusion should work. It might be easier to get the controller closer to the module. The controller doesn't need internet, you can start inclusion by pressing a button on the back of the controller. Use the other button to shutdown the controller.

I just looked over this. It says that the 212 doesn't work. I've got a 212. Is there a sollution for this?

Well, I'm not user "Joacim" but I'm pretty sure he said that because the older Fibaro and the Qubino can run of 24 V DC. The newer relays have lost this ability, as you already found out. But otherwise, they are very similar. I own both, it's not a problem to use them to trigger a gate controller, or anything that needs a "potential free contact".

I solved the distance problem.

The Fibaro found the Relay Switch. But the parameters are different then those of de switch described above. I can't find a parameter to change it in to a pulse switch.

You mean this: when you turn on the relay, you want it to automatically switch off after 1 second? In that case, the parameter is still the same. I quote from the manual of the FGS-212:

Parameter No. 4 - Auto off.

Default value: 0

Available settings:

[1- 65535] (0,1 s – 6553,5 s) Time period for auto off, in miliseconds 0 - Auto off disabled

I got it working. But now my normaal pulse switch doesn't work anymore. Strange.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'm a real newbie in the home automatisation. So sorry for all the stupid questions.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_confused.gif" alt=":-?" />

I'm going to have to try to add the switch your way. So if I connect the HCL to a plug near my gate and the press the + button, it should find the switch? I can't find anything about this in the manual.

Yes, distance is the most plausible explanation. If you can bring them closer together, inclusion should work. It might be easier to get the controller closer to the module. The controller doesn't need internet, you can start inclusion by pressing a button on the back of the controller. Use the other button to shutdown the controller.

• Inquirer
  • Just to give you all an update as I finally got around to setting this up.

My overall goal was to control my gate. My first adventure was to get a sensor running to know if the gate was open or not, which I achieved with a fibaro door sensor that I connected to a magnetic gate contact (

). One challenge is that my gate is about 30m away from the house and z-wave could not reach it, so I have a 15m cable between the gate and the door sensor to get the signal close enough to the house (works great).

For the Switch, which was my question here, to open and close the gate I still had the problem of signal reach. But as my gate had an intercom with a phone and a button to open the gate already installed in the house I decided to hook it up to this instead. So I opened the intercom, found the button inside and soldered on two cables to connect the FGS-211. And it works great!

On the pics you will also see a €40 tablet I bought to have as a central control.

Thanks again for your help and input.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do with my bpt two wire intercom system. I want to be able to control the gate to the building parking and the door to the building itself. Would you be able to post as clearer image of your wiring to the relay you have connected via a longer extension cable? 

Thanks!

Matthew

Edited by matt1981

• Inquirer
  • Hi Matt,

I followed the advice and image Lode shared earlier in the thread for the wiring:

This setup has been running great without a single fault.

And on the tablet I display the gate sensor and the button right next to each other together with a camera I gave in the driveway.

I hope that helps,

Thor

I'm looking to control my gate using the above method but as the FGS-211 is not longer available and the FGS-212 won't work if I understand it right - what alternative can I use, Or does anyone know how I can recognise a 211 in my network without opening every switch - is there an easy way from the UI - in case I have one I can switch out.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, andyp said:

I'm looking to control my gate using the above method but as the FGS-211 is not longer available and the FGS-212 won't work if I understand it right - what alternative can I use,

Hi @andyp

I have a 211 switching a NO contact for both my gate and garage door and I'll be changing it to use to use a relay.

Some of the electrical guru's on the forum indicated that the NO contact is very close to the 240V Live in and may over time (particularly in  a moist environment)  start to leak over and cause issues

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2017_07/post-834-0-05536600-1452789999_thumb.jpg.3b2bfa7abf9a33cb5510c61d9e870e76.jpg" alt="post-834-0-05536600-1452789999_thumb.jpg.3b2bfa7abf9a33cb5510c61d9e870e76.jpg" /> (pic from above post)

So my solution is to use the 211/212 to switch a separate 2nd relay that will close the NO contact and keep the NO/0V well isolated from the 240V

I just need to find the correct "2nd" relay for my application 

This approach may be worth considering for your situation

_