Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Use physical S1 button on the Dimmer 2 to dim the lights or S2 for scenes

DarrenB

Question

First post so be gentle  :->

I recently bought the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and installed it today behind a 2 button switch. I installed everything for the 2-wire setup from the Fibaro manual. I have contact between the dimmer and my VeraEdge so I can dim the light and turn it on or off without problems.

The problem is that on my physical switch using the S1 button I can only turn ON or OFF the light. I can't dim it. I thought it was going to be possible to hold the button to change the level of dimming and double click to turn ON or OFF.

Is this possible at all?

...alternatively I could use the S2 button on the switch to control scenes by single or double clicking, except that I have not been able to see the device variables needed to make it work through PLEG or LUA. I've seen some stuff in forums about how to activate the S2 button but its outdated and I can't see the variables despite changing the 41 parameter.

I'm using the latest Dimmer 2 version and UI7 on the VeraEdge.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

For what type of switch is the dimmer 2 configured? Momentary or toggle switch (parameter 20)?

• Inquirer
  • For what type of switch is the dimmer 2 configured? Momentary or toggle switch (parameter 20)?

Toggle.

For the S1 switch I have actually removed the little spring inside to mimic a traditional two-way switch which goes well with the rest of the family.

I tried to play with the parameter 20 but when in Momentary mode the light only dimmed as long as I kept the button pressed and as soon as I let go it dimmed down again.

• Inquirer
  • Bump-edibump 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

I thought this was an easy one to answer because people were using the S1 button to dim but maybe I was wrong. In that case how does people ususally dim their Fibaro dimmers using physical switches?

Actually the fibaro dimmer should be configured as momentary switch.

Than you can use a momentary switch for dimming (as long as you hold the switch the light starts dimming in one direction).

But it should stay at this level if you release the button.

Am I right that you have modified your switch in a way that the light is starting do dim if you toggle the switch and it stops if you toggle it again?

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Alex! I had tried the Momentary Switch parameter but the problem was I had reversed the S1 and Sx inputs so when I pressed the button and held it nothing happened and when I released it it dimmed somewhat. I just switched the little spring to the other side (essentially turning the button action upside down) and now it works. It makes perfectly sense now. I thought that the output of the switch into the S1 and Sx inputs didn't matter.

Now it works! Woohoo!

Next challenge: To get the S2 button to work for scenes.