Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Switch Connection to RGBW LED Strip - Options?

fergie

Hi all!

Very new to Fibaro but excited about what I can do!..

Am planning the installation of some RGBW LED strips and could do with some help regarding the wiring.

I currently have a wall switch running across the room to a standard tungsten light.  I want to remove this light, connect my 12v transformer, RGBW Fibaro module and LED strip.  This sounds simple, but I'm not sure if I have the wiring right.  I just want one switch and can't easily install any new cabling to the LED.  Am happy that the switch just turns the LED on and off (ideally to its previous brighness/colour setting), with colour control via the app.  See attached for what I'm proposing with the use of a relay module and 3-way momentary/retractive switch.  Will this work (momentary switch to S2 = on, momentary switch to S1 = off)?  Not sure of the impact on the RGBW module if power is removed?  Is there a better way?

Obviously I should just connect the switch to the RGBW module IN1 terminal, but this would require additional wiring from the switch to the transformer/module!

Thanks,

Fergie

Please login or register to see this attachment.

You really shouldn't keep removing the module from the zwave network...its part of the permanent routing mesh.

• Topic Author
  • Hmm, OK, as I thought.

What about providing a separate 12 V DC supply for the RGBW module (below)?  I have a seperate 13A supply available near where the dimmer would go?

Failing that, I guess I just go with a single colour LED and use a Dimmer module and dimmable transformer: