Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

What if there is no.............

Kage

HC2 runs in my house for 2 years and i am pretty busy whit it.

al lights, doors wash and dryer, temp roller shutter, fire, CO.......etc etc

everythings works great

But what if there is no POWER.

no power means no sending signals to mudules or verse visa.

no door open, no firealarms or shutter open.

no light......etc

must we al have a CPU! or is there a way to battery the HC2 in case of.....

If there is no power nothing controlled by the modules will work, so no use sending anything to it....

(ie: what will power the motor to open the shutter?)

You could get an UPS, but than you have power, and that was not the question.

Or am I missing something here?

• Topic Author
  • You got a point with the shutter and lights.

You need a UPS (or back up power supply of some sort) preferably one that can communicate its status. I also recommend a failover internet connection (require both a router with that capability and a second internet connection - both ISP and a second physical line, or usb modem). 

When I first looked at Fibaro, there were suggestions that battery packs and a GSMmodule would become available...

'Optional Battery and GSM modules will be available in the future to allow the HCL system to continue to operate during a power cut or Cable/ADSL broadband outage.'

Please login or register to see this image.

I was hoping at that time that the HC2 would get such an option as well. Unfortunately the parts are still not available for the HCL, let alone for the HC2.

So.... I am going for an 'APC Back-UPS ES 700VA' as the UPS  as well as the new 'ASUS RT AC-3200' as the router, The first will provide power to

• My broadband network modem
    • My ASUS RT AC-3200 router
    • My Home Center 2

The second will provide a backup 4G network in case my broadband network is lost.

Note: There are a lots of other routers (Other ASUS models, AVM Fritz,TPLink, or even way more if you use USB SIM Dongles) that combine WAN with 4G connections. I just need the additional power of this particular router for other purposes as well.

Other thoughts...

• I have an Aeon DSD31 Alarm Sirene, which is mains powered but has a battery which lasts for quite a while
    • I have smoke, motion and door sensors which are all battery operated, So I think I'll be all set...
    • I can have a second SIM card from my mobile provider and have both of the SIM cards active on internet (only one with Voice).

• 4 weeks later...

Surely you have a point here.

I experienced some months ago that one of the main electrical switches has blown.

Meaning that I wasn't be able to enter my own house. All Rollers were down so all my doors

were blocked. I had to do some burglary and climbing to get into my own house.

And yes, a UPS would have helped but even that couldn't have openend my Rollers.

So.... what is a good reliable backup system. A generator as a backup?

with electric doors you need a separate battery backup. i think mine will last a couple of days in case of failure.

you should also have your own ups. from memory I bought an apc ups. it seemed like pretty good value for money.

Electronic locks and rollers from at least one access door must be connected on UPS power, to be able to open them.

Most UPS systems can power the motor of rollers, but take in consideration the inrush current.

A UPS system can only supply 125% of it's output power during battery operation.

Electronic locks and rollers haven't much impact on the battery runtime, because the only consume power shortly during operation

The router and the HC should also be connected to UPS power in case of access control via IP and z-wave

Also look into other devices that must work on mains power 7x24h for security or access.

Cheap UPS systems can have a square wave output voltage which could cause problems with motors and some switched mode power supplies.

Be sure that the output voltage will be at least trapped sinewave or preferable a sinewave.

• 3 weeks later...

In my case HC2 and internet router are powered with UPS so in case of power outage they continue with operation. All battery operated devices are also operational like door/windows sensors, motion sensors, smoke sensors and flood sensors and battery operated claxon. So that means that burglary, fire and flood alarms continue to be operational. HC2 is monitoring smart plug on which UPS is connected and if there is detected 0Watt consumption it sends me push notification, popup message and email to my mobile device. Push notification is not working correctly on application, but since I have Apple watch it is notified. Popup notification stays in notification box so I can check at what time power outage happened with some other information when I open application. Email is sent so that I can keep track of all information sent to me because push and pop up notifications are deleted.

Unfortunately lights, blinds and everything else that is powered from grid will be dead until electricity is back, but these things were dead before Fibaro entered our house. Door locks at this point will not be used in our home because I don't believe them, but if I ever decide to install one then definitely will be one with battery support.

At this point I still don't have any cameras, but I'm in process of purchasing system with 5 IP 2Mpix cameras, video recorder and PoE switcher and they will also be powered with UPS. Camera compatibility with fibaro is questionable but I hope that in future Fibaro will add support for H.264 & H.265 cameras. Until then I will use customized application to check and control cameras. 

Just one more thing for those using Philips HUE lamps. After power outage they always turn on on their basic setting for color (hue) and brightness. My HC2 is monitoring smart plug on which UPS is connected so when electricity is back it fires scene which first sends my default settings for color (hue) and then depending on global variable settings turns off all lamps except those which were turned on before power outage.

• 4 months later...

In my case HC2 and internet router are powered with UPS so in case of power outage they continue with operation. All battery operated devices are also operational like door/windows sensors, motion sensors, smoke sensors and flood sensors and battery operated claxon. So that means that burglary, fire and flood alarms continue to be operational. HC2 is monitoring smart plug on which UPS is connected and if there is detected 0Watt consumption it sends me push notification, popup message and email to my mobile device. Push notification is not working correctly on application, but since I have Apple watch it is notified. Popup notification stays in notification box so I can check at what time power outage happened with some other information when I open application. Email is sent so that I can keep track of all information sent to me because push and pop up notifications are deleted.

Unfortunately lights, blinds and everything else that is powered from grid will be dead until electricity is back, but these things were dead before Fibaro entered our house. Door locks at this point will not be used in our home because I don't believe them, but if I ever decide to install one then definitely will be one with battery support.

At this point I still don't have any cameras, but I'm in process of purchasing system with 5 IP 2Mpix cameras, video recorder and PoE switcher and they will also be powered with UPS. Camera compatibility with fibaro is questionable but I hope that in future Fibaro will add support for H.264 & H.265 cameras. Until then I will use customized application to check and control cameras. 

Just one more thing for those using Philips HUE lamps. After power outage they always turn on on their basic setting for color (hue) and brightness. My HC2 is monitoring smart plug on which UPS is connected so when electricity is back it fires scene which first sends my default settings for color (hue) and then depending on global variable settings turns off all lamps except those which were turned on before power outage.

Sankotronic,

Can you explain, please, how / where you install wall plug?

Because i have my HCLite and router conected to UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 700VA), so Fibaro HCL and router is on safe power about 1 hour, and i want to know when is power off and HCL run only to UPS.

I thinking to put Fibaro Smart Wall Plug before UPS and to make a scene, when the power goes off to send me notification if the power comsumption of wall plug is 0.

BUT i have a problem, how is possible to send me notification if wall plug is NO POWER!? With no power wall plug is dead, so NO NOTIFICATION...

I have not tried yet, but I dont know on blackout, the fibaro wall plug have time to send notification to HCL before is complete NO POWER.

If you have an explanation or solution, please tell me.

THANKS!

Surely you have a point here.

I experienced some months ago that one of the main electrical switches has blown.

Meaning that I wasn't be able to enter my own house. All Rollers were down so all my doors

were blocked. I had to do some burglary and climbing to get into my own house.

And yes, a UPS would have helped but even that couldn't have openend my Rollers.

So.... what is a good reliable backup system. A generator as a backup?

you should think the roller shutters over...

when there is a fire and the power is gone you will not be able to get the rollers/shutters up and you can imagne what will happen with the people inside

i would recommend a batterypack for the shutters and "when smoke is detected then all shuters/rollers up"

It was a costly install for us, but we have a small generator wired in at our farm house. It is enough to run basic lights and power for a 1/2 dozen switches. Trick is to turn everything off when the power drops and then the generator can handle the small load for longer. It is wired in to a relay that quickly changes over once the power drops out, that way we don't go down there to a freezer full of old food. I have a fibaro switch on the generator output, once the generator fires up, it sends me a message to tell me it is active, and activates a scene that then turns off all the non essential switches ( all non essentials are zwave capable ) just to make sure, and that way we can go up to 48 hours off the grid, but still have some lighting and fridge/freezer, security, TV, plus a few other bits. ( we also have fibaro, router and security on UPS ) It has mostly worked well, but since installing the generator and the house smarts we have had very few blackouts !

Cheers,

al.

Hello,

Have anybody a solution, how is possible to recive a push notification from HCL if is BLACK OUT on my house!?

I have an UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 700VA) for router and HCL. So i have power backup about 2 hours for internet and Fibaro Home Center Lite, but i want to know it is BLACK OUT in my house.

Like i say before (few weeks ago),

I thinking to put Fibaro Smart Wall Plug before UPS and to make a scene, when the power goes off to send me notification if the power comsumption of this wall plug is below a limit 1-2 wats.

BUT i have a problem, how is possible to send me notification if wall plug is NO POWER!? With no power wall plug is dead, so NO NOTIFICATION...

I have tried, but if is blackout, the fibaro wall plug dont have time to send notification to HCL before is complete NO POWER.

If you have an explanation or solution, please tell me.

THANKS!

PS: my sistem: HCL, motion sensors x 6, wall plug x 6, window sensor x 8, dimmer 2 x 5, swipe x1

use a 220 volt relais, connect to wall socket.

power a ubs with the ups (12 volt powersupply), and connect it to the relais. when power goes down, the relais will switch off and the ubs will report that

Please check here one of the solutions: 

Please login or register to see this link.

Scene is written in LUA but it can be done also in block scene with less optios but still possible.

his system is a hcl, i don't know if the hcl supports lua?

You didn't read carefully my post:

Scene is written in LUA but it can be done also in block scene with less optios but still possible.

aah you're right

got lost in the translation, missed it in the subtitles

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />