Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

In wall scene controller

mrtn

Question

Hi all

I am starting with a blank piece of paper here and looking for ideas.

I am looking to buy an android tablet that will end up flush installed in the wall. From what I have seen on the Play store, there is an app that wakes the tablet based on proximity sensor - this would be ideal.

The ultimate goal is to run scenes from it and turn various devices on or off. Unfortunately the stock Fibaro app is not that great and I am looking for a solution - some sort of a dashboard screen that could be configured to account for existing scenes/devices. I have found similar projects available for Smart Things:

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this image.

And here:

metro1.png

I was wondering if there is anything available at all before I spend time on building an androip app?

Cheers

15 answers to this question

Maybe you will find some inspiration here

or/and here

This is something I've been looking at for a while now. ....

App part

Take a look at Imperihom. Search the forum and there is a thread that talks about people experiences with it ...

It integrates well with HC2. It has a number of limitations like it doesn't support VD's but I get around this by using what I call micro-Scenes. This is a one line lua scene that does one simple thing. Stop a sonos zone or select a radio favourite on a zone. Turn on 4 lights. No triggers nothing fancy and then I link to them in imperihome. A good example of this is an imperihom screen we use for n outside area where I can change radio station and stop and start the sonos zone I have out there ( screen shot attached)

Tablet control

I use a variety of makes and sizes but now have the auto turn on and off working using. Imperihom has an option to use the camera to detect somebody but this doesn't work well. Somebody developed a solution using tasker, motion detection, secure setting and autostart. It uses the camera to detect motion and turn the screen on. I can share more if interested. I use all android tablets but the cheaper the tablet the worse the camera is and results can be poor with very cheap androids.

Wall mounting

I have just used hegie. It's a simple velcro and works well. I also have some simple brackets. I do dream about a flush installed solution but all the solutions are clunky and I'm not cutting big holes until something better comes around. My main gripe here is that my tablet has a nice narrow bezel and all the mount solutions have 1" bezels when installed and I think it spoils the look.

Fibaro have something called swipe coming out soon ( apparently! !) And this is proximity based and sounds interesting as a scene controller particularly for setting and upsetting alarms

Anyway if hope this helps

-F

Some screen shots

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • This is something I've been looking at for a while now. ....

App part

Take a look at Imperihom. Search the forum and there is a thread that talks about people experiences with it ...

It integrates well with HC2. It has a number of limitations like it doesn't support VD's but I get around this by using what I call micro-Scenes. This is a one line lua scene that does one simple thing. Stop a sonos zone or select a radio favourite on a zone. Turn on 4 lights. No triggers nothing fancy and then I link to them in imperihome. A good example of this is an imperihom screen we use for n outside area where I can change radio station and stop and start the sonos zone I have out there ( screen shot attached)

Tablet control

I use a variety of makes and sizes but now have the auto turn on and off working using. Imperihom has an option to use the camera to detect somebody but this doesn't work well. Somebody developed a solution using tasker, motion detection, secure setting and autostart. It uses the camera to detect motion and turn the screen on. I can share more if interested. I use all android tablets but the cheaper the tablet the worse the camera is and results can be poor with very cheap androids.

Wall mounting

I have just used hegie. It's a simple velcro and works well. I also have some simple brackets. I do dream about a flush installed solution but all the solutions are clunky and I'm not cutting big holes until something better comes around. My main gripe here is that my tablet has a nice narrow bezel and all the mount solutions have 1" bezels when installed and I think it spoils the look.

Fibaro have something called swipe coming out soon ( apparently! !) And this is proximity based and sounds interesting as a scene controller particularly for setting and upsetting alarms

-F

What a great app! Thank you very much - exactly what I have been looking for.

As regard the bracket, I have spent all evening searching for one and couldn't find anything that would suit me. Therefore it will be an improvised DIY solution. The tablet is on its way and I will add photos once I get it installed.

Cheers

Martin

App part

Tablet control

Wall mounting

-F

App part

This is awesome, thanks. 

however VD are supported. you can add the buttons simply and effectively. 

Fibaro, take some notes!

Thanks for the advice, works seamlessly 

• Inquirer
  • I am pleased to report I have just finished installing the tablet in a wall. Below are some photos and comments so hopefully someone will find it helpful in the future.

I have decided to go for Nexus 7 (2nd gen - 2013) as from what I have seen this is one of the best 2nd hand tablets you can get. It's got a beautiful full HD display and a Snapdragon processor. I am very impressed with it bearing in mind it came out nearly three years ago. I have managed to pick up a second hand one from eBay for £77.

In terms of a frame, I've had it custom made and used laser cut 5mm high gloss white acrylic. Total cost incl postage was £15.

I decided to install it in a central point in my flat, just above light switches. I've recently installed Nest thermostat, so that had to be removed. I've installed it next to the tablet which can be seen below.

Before:

Luckily the tablet came with a cover. Although dirty, it didn't concern me as the plan was to use the back cover only.

DB8fgWD.jpg

bc4KxJf.jpg

Below dimension are equal to size of back cover only + 0.5cm to each of the sides.

grMd8Uz.jpg

• Inquirer
  • For the edges, I have used a plastic 90 degree angled trim that I picked up in B&Q for £2.50. It comes in handy as it is easier to make the bottom edge level and covers the dusty part of the plasterboard.

IXPVa2I.jpg

For the power supply, I have used an EU to UK adapter as it could be easily taken apart and I could remove all the pins from it making it a socket.

ILMYMQl.jpg

In order to attach tablet to the frame I have used a double sided 3M foam tape from eBay (£6)

C4qPrzN.jpg

The tricky part was to attach it straight relative to the screen. I have downloaded a display testing app which highlights all usable area of the screen:

RNbBAvx.jpg

• Inquirer
  • And below shows attached tablet:

I need to be able to remove the tablet from the wall from time to time so decided to go for magnets. I have bought 15mm x 2mm neodymium magnets (super strong) on ebay for £5.50. Two of them have been screwed to the wall and two attached to the frame with 3M tape. Again the tricky part was to make the frame level. As the wall magnets have been screwed in to little wooden blocks behind the plasterboard I could move them up and down.

At this stage I realised that the power supply connects directly to the tablet and had to cut out a square so it could be connected.

ofrwd5l.jpg

And the final result is pretty cool (I think):

KeittQ2.jpg

AYBfmMm.jpg

I am using a PRO version of ImperiHome app together with a full version of motion detector app which uses front facing camera to wake the screen up (works very well).

Apologies for multiple posts - these are due to a number of pictures limit.  ;-)

Nice project! I think in a few years  we'll all be having such panels in our walls!

• Inquirer
  • Nice project! I think in a few years  we'll all be having such panels in our walls!

Thanks! I hope we'll see more brackets available for sale making it a prettier solution

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In imperiHome I do not see the image from the camera which works in HC2. Why?

I'm afraid I do not have any cameras to test. Try contacting ImperiHome - their support is awesome.

I am pleased to report I have just finished installing the tablet in a wall. Below are some photos and comments so hopefully someone will find it helpful in the future.

I have decided to go for Nexus 7 (2nd gen - 2013) as from what I have seen this is one of the best 2nd hand tablets you can get. It's got a beautiful full HD display and a Snapdragon processor. I am very impressed with it bearing in mind it came out nearly three years ago. I have managed to pick up a second hand one from eBay for £77.

In terms of a frame, I've had it custom made and used laser cut 5mm high gloss white acrylic. Total cost incl postage was £15.

I decided to install it in a central point in my flat, just above light switches. I've recently installed Nest thermostat, so that had to be removed. I've installed it next to the tablet which can be seen below.

Before:

Luckily the tablet came with a cover. Although dirty, it didn't concern me as the plan was to use the back cover only.

DB8fgWD.jpg

bc4KxJf.jpg

Below dimension are equal to size of back cover only + 0.5cm to each of the sides.

grMd8Uz.jpg

Looks fantastic - 

Could I ask where you got the frame (custom made/laser cut 5mm high gloss white acrylic. Total cost incl postage was £15)

The finish is very professional

Thanks

• Inquirer
  • Thanks!

I had it made in Poland, but had another quote from UK company - found them on eBay - 

and they quoted me £13 incl P&P

Cheers

Martin