Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Smoke Detector Issue

razorfish79

Question

I have 13 PCS.  FGSD-002 Fibaro Smoke Detectors installed in my house.

About 2/3 of them have very often false alarms.

I did reset them many times. Excluded them included them several times. I set the sensitive to low but it is still not better.

Sometimes a few days there are no false alarms and then there a false alarms many times a day.

I have them now for 7 months and had more than 100 false alarms. That’s pretty annoying.

Please help.

19 answers to this question

I have 6 of them and during the last 6 months no false alarms. However, after upgrading to v4.070 I had 5 false alarms. I completely removed all of them and re-added them, and at least last night was the first night without a false alarm.

I'll see what happens the next couple of days ..... 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_confused.gif" alt=":-?" />

Fingers crossed....

• Inquirer
  • I do not use them with HC2 anymore.

I used them with HC2 several months ago. I used them without any controller and now I use them with Zipato.

However. The problems remained the same. One false alarm after the other.

Today I had three of them.

Strange, I have now 1 pice (new model) a few weeks and no problem so far.

• Inquirer
  • One thing I have noticed.

My smoke detector all have the same production date. But with a difference. On some stands 2015-05-25 and on some 2015 May 25

Those who May (in words) have rarely went to false alarms. Those with 05 are going constantly to false alarm.

The new model I bought few weeks ago (so far no problems); at the bottom: 2015-JUN-08

I do not use them with HC2 anymore.

I used them with HC2 several months ago. I used them without any controller and now I use them with Zipato.

However. The problems remained the same. One false alarm after the other.

Today I had three of them.

Hi, has anything changed in the situation?

I am in the same situation. After 6 months, the second smoke detector now has produced a false alarm. Smoke Sensor detected fire. The only thing I can see in the overview is that there was a rise in temperature by one degree. The smoke detectors have all default values. Should you still adjust the values? The smoke detector reports since multiple false alarms. Did I have to perform a maintenance on the smoke detectors (i.e. blow out)?

Is there a solution via the configuration or the smoke detector are broken? Ready for the dustbin?

I have two Fibaro smoke detectors FGSD-002 with manufactured date: 2015-11-30 now for 6 months and never had a false alarm. They were breached only when I tested them. One is placed above cooking plate near ceiling so temperature on it is always higher especially during cooking but never give false alarm. The other is placed in garage and also ok.

EDIT

And just to mention I never changed default settings on them.

Edited by Sankotronic

I have 5 of the old type (FGSS001). I have not had any significant issues with these and I have had them in operation for more than a year now.

The only problem is that these devices are "smoke detectors" and not "smoke alarms". The siren in the FGSS001 is not nearly loud enough to wake anyone up, which is something that I think Fibaro should have stated more clearly on their web/packing etc.

I believe that Fibaro have made some improvements to the new version (FGSD002) e.g. equipped a with a more powerfull siren. Still, I would prefer to have a couple of "real" certified smoke detectors from a reputable vendor and the use the Fibaro ones as backup. I use these from Schenider as the primary

Please login or register to see this link.

JASEDK

On 29-6-2016 at 7:42 AM, Mickler said:

[...] The only thing I can see in the overview is that there was a rise in temperature by one degree. [...]

I had the same problem: alarm goes off at random and I noticed the spike in the temperature when the alarm went off. (horizontal scale is 4 hour/line)

/monthly_2016_10/580d217b48e9e_FalseAlarm.png.91be719c19b2388883f3f0cb4c9c7027.png" alt="False Alarm.png" />

Dnia 23.10.2016 o 22:47, sirKitKat napisał:

I had the same problem: alarm goes off at random and I noticed the spike in the temperature when the alarm went off. (horizontal scale is 4 hour/line)

Hello,

Thank you for the screen shot. Our team is working on finding the cause of these false alarms. The most disturbing fact is that we cannot reproduce the issue in our labs, but I can assure you that we did not forget about the case.

I have forwarded your post to the persons responsible for testing.

Hi,

My issue (I raised in another ticket) is very similar:

I have a Smoke Sensor FGDS-002

Manufactured: 2015 FEB 28

The other night the alarm sounded (not a triggered sound - a slightly longer sound) with a red light blinking.

It had not triggered on my automation system and there was no smoke.

The battery level was low, so i swapped out the battery (following the procedure to reset in the instructions)

A few hours later it went off again, so i removed battery and reseated it.

This happened a couple more times and i left the battery out until later the next day.

I put the battery back in and all was ok until late that night when it did it again.

I suspect that the unit may be faulty - i have three other similar devices that are all ok.

I have four of these devices and only one is being a problem.

Having looked at this post I just went to check my logs for the temperature sensor and found there was a sudden spike of almost 1 degree just prior to it going off.

The sensor was purchased nearly a year ago and has been running fine until the other day

The other sensors all have manufacturing dates of 2015 (Jan 30, May 30, May 28 I think), but they are so far ok

Richie

On 27-10-2016 at 6:06 PM, Richie1972 said:

The other night the alarm sounded (not a triggered sound - a slightly longer sound) with a red light blinking.

It had not triggered on my automation system and there was no smoke.

The battery level was low, so i swapped out the battery (following the procedure to reset in the instructions)

A few hours later it went off again, so i removed battery and reseated it.

This happened a couple more times and i left the battery out until later the next day.

I put the battery back in and all was ok until late that night when it did it again.

Seems like the same problem to me. Most of the symptoms applied to my case.

Most of the time, when it starts, I pull out the battery (to make it stop) and leave it out until I have more time to look into it. When I insert the battery again, this will start over in 10 minutes or 1 hour or 12 hours or ...

After leaving out the battery for several hours, the problem is most of the time solved several days.

Last time, after posting In this forum, I did a reconfigure and had no problems since (6 days so far) :D

Reconfigure.png

Before resetting, I went to through the configuration and the only suspicious parameter I changed that could be the cause of this behaviour is the following:

Excess temperature threshold.png

More information from

could indicate that the trigger goes off on the not filtered signal from the temperature sensor.

So when the noise on the signal from the temperature sensor spikes, the notification is send BUT the temperature reported to the Home Center is filtered and is thus a lower average temperature is shown in the graph?

I'll try to report more findings when I encounter this again.

• Inquirer
  • I sent mine back and got one new one and the others got an firmware update. After 3 days, 5 of them had at least 2 false alarms. The other 8 are working during the last few weeks.

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, Olaf Marcos said:

What manufactured date have your devices?

Mine is '2016 OCT 10'.

Thanks for the info!

All were produced in MAY 2015 - but after the firmware update, for some reason they all got new labeled with a new serial and also new manufactured date (but still same devices, no replacement)