Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

There's a ghost in my house - I can prove it thanks to my Fibaro Wallplug!

fibtellers-ar-os

Hi everybody!

First post about my new HC2 and already it's something crazy.

I have attached pictures for illustration also.

But bear with me, I don't know yet whether it's a simple arithmetic bug in Fibaro or something worse.

Anyway, I have Fibaro Wallplug connected to my washing machine with a standard scene running, telling me that the laudry is ready whenever the washing machine has used more than a few hundred Watts over a period of time and then goes back to under 3 Watts for more than 5 minutes.

So this night I wake up at a notification on my phone at about 3 o'clock (!) that the laundry was ready and would I please hang it up for drying (this is what the script says). Naturally, at first I think it's an old notification hanging in the queue due to Wifi issues or something but then I check the log of the scene and it shows indeed that the washer used over 800 watts for several minutes in the night.

Note that this is the first time this has happened, even though I have the scene running perfectly for about two months now and it always dutifully and correctly reported so far, without any false alarms ever.

Now, the washing machine is directly next to my bedroom and I leave all doors open in the night, so if it had run properly (which it would have needed to use over 800 watts, that's certainly no standby), I would have sat up straight in my bed. Also, of course, the washing machine was switched off at the manual off switch at the machine, not even in standby mode, when I checked it. No lights, no nothing.

So why does the Wallplug report this energy spike in the middle of the night? I investigated further by using the Energy Panel and it gets even weirder. I find out that several times in the past, the washing machine has seemingly given back power to the grid, using "-800 Watts" here and "-500 Watts" there. Note that I don't have solar panels anywhere, let alone in my washing machine, so how can the Wallplug give me negative usage values?

I also noticed several energy spikes during the previous day between about 10 Watts (just after 2pm) and over 50 Watts (around 10pm). Note that they have always continued for exactly 4 minutes at a time.

Anyway, this is neither reproducible nor could I find any pattern in these strange occurrences.

The Wallplug is on "Always on", the washing machine is fairly new and anyway, it was always switched off manually at the machine during these occurrences and when it is switched off manually the Wallplug does not show any stand-by use from the machine (0.00 kWh).

The plug itself normally reports using between 0.30 and 0.35 Watts for itself (I have enabled the parameter for this to be counted as well, even though it is switched off by default, which I don't get because it is actual electricity that is being used after all as well, right?).

Could you guys check your Wallplugs and see if you had similar things happen? Maybe you have a ghost surreptitiously using your washing machines as well?

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

I only have one Wallplug, so unfortunately I can't cross-check if other Wallplugs are "possessed" too

Any explanations would of course be more than welcome. I'm a nervous guy whenever it comes do electricity and electrical items doing strange things and the thought that a simple wallplug uses 800 Watts without reason, well let's just say I probably won't sleep quite as well tonight!

Thanks for your help!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Haha, probably a bug. I just checked my energy monitor and I got nothing like what you get. I have never gotten minus usage ever. Anyhow if it happens again I would check live energy monitor and see if it actually draws power, also check if the light circle changes color on the wallplug. If the color circle on the wallplug actually changes color when washing machine is off I would return the wallplug. But I'm pretty sure that it's a software bug rather then a hardware problem. 

fibtellers,

I have the same ghost - not that i noticed it before you mentioned it but anyways....

I have a 40 watts lamp connected to the wall plug - and according to the meter it used a week ago between 1 and 1.30 am 8100 (!!) watts for a couple of minutes

But no harm so far - the bulb is still working and a couple of days later it gave -3 watts back to the grid. It probably saved some of the 8100 watts and gave them back because it was not needed

I can ony see this in the daily, weekly and monthly view - the yearly one doesn't show that spike...

So there is a "ghost in the machine" - i can confirm  

all the best

kandetvara

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar ghost in the house.
A scene triggered by a wall plug when the power raises over 75 Watts causes too many instances when the connected devices have never been turned on.
The scene even wasn't executed but something must have triggered it. ^^

• 3 months later...

I also have two plugs reporting suddently 1500 w the connected load is never above 20W, it also seems to hang on the faulty reading and i have to turn the plug on and back off to get the right reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i had Ghost power plant connected a Myxyty, that i tested with Fibaro wall plug.

Please login or register to see this link.

. Yes, there are kWh, but still this partical wall plug has only few kWh in Fibaro UI

Hi everybody!

First post about my new HC2 and already it's something crazy.

I have attached pictures for illustration also.

But bear with me, I don't know yet whether it's a simple arithmetic bug in Fibaro or something worse.

Anyway, I have Fibaro Wallplug connected to my washing machine with a standard scene running, telling me that the laudry is ready whenever the washing machine has used more than a few hundred Watts over a period of time and then goes back to under 3 Watts for more than 5 minutes.

So this night I wake up at a notification on my phone at about 3 o'clock (!) that the laundry was ready and would I please hang it up for drying (this is what the script says). Naturally, at first I think it's an old notification hanging in the queue due to Wifi issues or something but then I check the log of the scene and it shows indeed that the washer used over 800 watts for several minutes in the night.

Note that this is the first time this has happened, even though I have the scene running perfectly for about two months now and it always dutifully and correctly reported so far, without any false alarms ever.

Now, the washing machine is directly next to my bedroom and I leave all doors open in the night, so if it had run properly (which it would have needed to use over 800 watts, that's certainly no standby), I would have sat up straight in my bed. Also, of course, the washing machine was switched off at the manual off switch at the machine, not even in standby mode, when I checked it. No lights, no nothing.

So why does the Wallplug report this energy spike in the middle of the night? I investigated further by using the Energy Panel and it gets even weirder. I find out that several times in the past, the washing machine has seemingly given back power to the grid, using "-800 Watts" here and "-500 Watts" there. Note that I don't have solar panels anywhere, let alone in my washing machine, so how can the Wallplug give me negative usage values?

I also noticed several energy spikes during the previous day between about 10 Watts (just after 2pm) and over 50 Watts (around 10pm). Note that they have always continued for exactly 4 minutes at a time.

Anyway, this is neither reproducible nor could I find any pattern in these strange occurrences.

The Wallplug is on "Always on", the washing machine is fairly new and anyway, it was always switched off manually at the machine during these occurrences and when it is switched off manually the Wallplug does not show any stand-by use from the machine (0.00 kWh).

The plug itself normally reports using between 0.30 and 0.35 Watts for itself (I have enabled the parameter for this to be counted as well, even though it is switched off by default, which I don't get because it is actual electricity that is being used after all as well, right?).

Could you guys check your Wallplugs and see if you had similar things happen? Maybe you have a ghost surreptitiously using your washing machines as well?

I only have one Wallplug, so unfortunately I can't cross-check if other Wallplugs are "possessed" too

Any explanations would of course be more than welcome. I'm a nervous guy whenever it comes do electricity and electrical items doing strange things and the thought that a simple wallplug uses 800 Watts without reason, well let's just say I probably won't sleep quite as well tonight!

Thanks for your help!

you might want to call those guys they seem competent to handle this sort fo thing XD

originalghostbusters.jpg

ahrem i do not think i have annything nearly as hungry as washing mashine

HC2(4.090): since jun 14th nothing strange

HCL(4.080): since jun 19th  nothing strange

my plan: connect device to both plugs (well device per plug) let it get some stats and than swap it off.